Hello y'all

Options
Hello
My name is Carol and I am new to MyFitnessPal. I was diagnosed with T2 Diabetes in 2012 but I really didn't take it seriously because I didn't feel ill at all. Little did I know there was a lot of damage done to this body over these years. So here I am, a little scared but trying to figure it out. Most importantly, I want my health back. I know about counting carbs and such but I don't really know what I can eat. I am 223lbs but I don't eat more than about 500cal/day. I don't understand how I can weigh what I do. I know I need to eat more than that but I don't know really how to go about doing that. My income is little to none. My goal is to lose 73lbs. About exercise, I don't get around much but today is the day I change all that one step at a time. I'm using MyFitnessPal for encouragement, motivation and accountability. Also, I'm hoping to find some really healthy, yummy recipes.
Right now, I think I will go for a little walk. I'll be back later.

Replies

• DJill68
    DJill68 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Hi Carol, how did your walk go? I just started MFP and Keto diet this week. I was 239 on Monday and this morning I am surprisingly 233! I have been a couch potato, but trying to walk some everyday. In just 4 days the walking is getting easier! Bad hips are my struggle. Maybe we can motivate each other. I am not a diabetic but my BF is.
    Donna
  • eager2eatright
    eager2eatright Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi Carrol I also am a Type 2 diabetic and my diabetic Doctor put me on Ozempic (INSULIN taken once a week) and since then my A1C went from about 7.7 to 6.5 in a few months and my weight also slowly but surely is coming down.
    Maybe you can ask your doctor about it.😊
  • MaryLinkc
    MaryLinkc Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi all, I am concerned that I am diabetic. I don't have much of a pancreas after a surgery so monitor my blood glucose levels. They have been so high the past couple of weeks - one more to monitor for my doctor! Need low carb/low sugar ideas. When I have too high a high, I watch a walking video. It's cold outside and I'm just starting out. They are great, check it out!
  • MCFNY
    MCFNY Posts: 3 Member
    edited December 2023
    Options
    Hi - I started working with Holistic Health Care doctor. I have been unsuccessful in all my weight loss efforts. I would lose a little at first and gain it all back. This Holistic Health care doctor is giving me specific directives and I decided to listen to him. He told me absolutely no sugar and no foods made with wheat. Yes, I can eat carbs, but not carbs made with wheat (bread, pasta etc.) I have been following his instructions and have lost 13 lbs. in six weeks and I am eating three full meals a day. I've learned to swap sugar for monk fruit no calorie sweetener for my coffee, potatoes and rice instead of bread and pasta, and if I'm really craving pasta, I use rice noodles. He even told me no cereal, so I have been having yogurt with fresh fruit in the morning, or if I want a hot cereal, I've been making cream of rice. I eat eggs or egg whites with every breakfast, as a matter of fact, I eat protein with every meal, and if I am craving desert, I dice a granny smith apple and sprinkle it with cinnamon and butter for a mock 'cobbler'. I have been trying to get the scale to move for three years, and this is the first time it is doing so. I was pre-diabetic on my last doctor's checkup, sugar was too high, and doctor wanted to put me on metformin. I knew I had to do something. I am going to do exactly what this doctor says. He is saving my life.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,113 Member
    Options
    I was only pre-diabetic with a 6.3 HbA1C, but dropped that to 5.2 by going Keto. I know it is not a way of eating for everyone, but for me it has worked wonders.