Calories strength training

Options
yirara
yirara Posts: 9,398 Member
edited April 2023 in Fitness and Exercise
For my rehab I'm doing strength training. Of course I need to nourish my body sufficiently, but I also don't want to gain weight. I know strength training doesn't burn a ton of calories, but if you do something everyday it can easily add up. Anyone fancy a guess? Warning: High volume, low weight

Pull day:
Bendover barbell row 13.5kg 15x5
Lateral raise 1.25kgx2 10x5
Biceps barbell curl 11kg 10x5
Front raise 1.25/2.5kg 10x5
Kettlebell row 8kg 15x4
External banded rotation 7kg 10x3
Internal banded rotation 15kg 10x3
Banded row from top of door 30kg 10x3
Banded row with twist and arm up behind 7kg 10x3

My guess is 150kcal for a nearly 50yr female, not super tall, normal weight. Anyone want to go higher or lower? Garmin, btw gave me 277 active calories, for a volume of just over 4100kg :D (I tried raises with higher weights and did an additional set each)

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,166 Member
    Options
    Believe it or not, the MFP exercise database estimate is probably one of the better (relatively conservative) estimates of strength training calories.

For regular reps/sets work like that, use the entry "Strength training (weight lifting, weight training)" in the Cardiovascular Exercise part of the MFP database.

Use the total workout wall clock time, including normal short between-set rests. (Obviously, if you take a longer break to chat or refill your water bottle or something, subtract those minutes if they amount to much. But the research on which that estimate is based included the expectation of short inter-set rests.)
  • yirara
    Options
    Hmm.. actually, I've never tried this one. I usually had a break of 1-1.5min between sets, near the end basically none or just a few secs as I rotated exercises. 3 mins between the non-banded exercises. So... hmm.. about 155kcal :D So that's not too bad a guess then :D
  • JBanx256
    JBanx256 Posts: 1,473 Member
    Options
    maybe worth a read:
    A heuristic for estimating energy expenditure during resistance training
    https://www.strongerbyscience.com/research-spotlight-expenditure-resistance/
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    yirara wrote: »
    Hmm.. actually, I've never tried this one. I usually had a break of 1-1.5min between sets, near the end basically none or just a few secs as I rotated exercises. 3 mins between the non-banded exercises. So... hmm.. about 155kcal :D So that's not too bad a guess then :D

Some fitness trackers now (IMU) now use a METS-based algorithm to estimate calories if they know the user is doing strength training, and that's what MFP is doing under the covers. Heart rate is a poor proxy for calorie burn during strength training. MFP (as I think you, yirara, know) has IMU a conceptual flaw in their METS implementation, but it's not arithmetically very important for the typical strength workout of half an hour to an hour-ish.
  • yirara
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Some fitness trackers now (IMU) now use a METS-based algorithm to estimate calories if they know the user is doing strength training, and that's what MFP is doing under the covers. Heart rate is a poor proxy for calorie burn during strength training. MFP (as I think you, yirara, know) has IMU a conceptual flaw in their METS implementation, but it's not arithmetically very important for the typical strength workout of half an hour to an hour-ish.

Yeah, I know. I'm a bit miffed at how Garmin handles this. I start a set, then finish it and go into resting mode. In the detailed analysis I see that my workout took a total of.. say 60 minutes and 30 of those were actual workout sets and the other 30 minutes rest. But just a bit below I see that 45 minutes actually were moderate intensity minutes and 2 vigorous ones. Whut? Makes no sense! Why count intensity minutes when you're just sitting about, resting? Yeah, HR is still high enough for this to count as intensity minutes, but this would be something to easily adjust for Garmin. Just count intensity minutes in strength training mode when lifting.
  • yirara
    Options
    JBanx256 wrote: »
    maybe worth a read:

I looked at this. My workout would probably give me close to 400 net calories. It's possible that this equation doesn't work for women, not for people with a higher bodyfat, or any of many other reasons, including it only working for people that do spend an awful lot of time building their body. No idea. But 400 certainly is far above what I would expect.
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    maybe worth a read:

Good stuff from you as usual, Banx. Bookmarked it.

I downloaded the spreadsheet linked in the article. It gives me a range of 91-211 calories for half an hour (the additive calories). MFP's MET-based estimate (complete with its theoretical flaw, which for a lot of cases will overestimate calories) would give me 82 calories for the same half hour at the same bodyweight. I can see the spreadsheet as potentially more accurate (METS is weird for strength training, seems like), but I don't (as you probably know) do enough strength training to worry about it myself. Others are going to get different results, maybe a bigger difference, at different body weights and BF%s.
  • Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,515 Member
    edited April 2023
    Options
    tldr Use the MFP estimate.

I use a MET estimate. I've seen MET estimates for weights as anywhere from 3 (moderate intensity) to 6 (high intensity).

I worked out my MET for being awake as being 4.426% of maintenance calories, which is a little more than 1/24, because sleeping uses less. That's about 1.06 MET. Then I assume for myself a MET for my weights workout of about 3.5 which is probably conservative, but also I'm sure 5 or 6 would be too high. Subtract the waking MET to avoid double counting it. So that's 2.5*MET as additional calories entered.

The MFP entry for Cardio Strength Training looks quite accurate, about 3.75 MET afaict. Of course if you're working really hard maybe you're at 5 MET.

I should actually return to this math one day to better take into account that MFP uses BMR * 1.25 as the baseline calc for Sedentary, which is probably not quite the same as 1 MET.
  • Retroguy2000
    Options
    Btw, I see you're doing 5 sets of curls, lateral raises and front raises.

YMMV, I don't personally find the utility in front raises, as they seem to get plenty of work doing bench press and shoulder press. But anyway, I encourage you to try Myo-reps for these three exercises.

e.g. with curls instead of 10x5, start with a weight you can do 10-15 reps with. Do a set with 1-2 RIR. Put the weight down for about 15 seconds. Repeat. And keep repeating until you can't do 5 reps with your last set, which is to failure. You'll get a lot of effective reps this way, you'll get a hell of a burn, and it'll be faster than 5 regular sets with normal breaks.
  • yirara
    edited April 2023
    Options
    Deleted. Forum is doing odd quoting stuff here.
  • yirara
    edited April 2023
    Options
    maybe worth a read:

I downloaded the spreadsheet linked in the article. It gives me a range of 91-211 calories for half an hour (the additive calories). MFP's MET-based estimate (complete with its theoretical flaw, which for a lot of cases will overestimate calories) would give me 82 calories for the same half hour at the same bodyweight. I can see the spreadsheet as potentially more accurate (METS is weird for strength training, seems like), but I don't (as you probably know) do enough strength training to worry about it myself. Others are going to get different results, maybe a bigger difference, at different body weights and BF%s.

Ah ok. I played with the spreadsheet a bit more. Seems like the higher the bodyfat % the higher the calorie expenditure for the exercise. I'm not sure whether that makes sense. I also have no idea what my bodyfat % is. I don't think this website specifically mentions what the definition of training duration is. is it active work plus short breaks between sets? Or including longer breaks between exercises?

So here I'm getting upper end - lower end for two potential body fat estimates
    high %: 181 - 421
    low %: 176 - 416

If I use the intensity minutes garmin gives me (without double counting for vigorious ones) I get a bit less. This assumes it's a good estimate to eliminate the longer breaks between different exercises.
    Btw, I see you're doing 5 sets of curls, lateral raises and front raises.

YMMV, I don't personally find the utility in front raises, as they seem to get plenty of work doing bench press and shoulder press. But anyway, I encourage you to try Myo-reps for these three exercises.

e.g. with curls instead of 10x5, start with a weight you can do 10-15 reps with. Do a set with 1-2 RIR. Put the weight down for about 15 seconds. Repeat. And keep repeating until you can't do 5 reps with your last set, which is to failure. You'll get a lot of effective reps this way, you'll get a hell of a burn, and it'll be faster than 5 regular sets with normal breaks.

Thanks for your inside, would normally appreciate them :)

However, this is for rehab after a complex humeral head fracture, and for learning to do certain movements again. The biceps curls are in isolation to give my atrophied biceps something to do and to potentially re-stabilize the biceps tendon that was likely subluxed for over 3 months until I put it back in it's place (yeah, Ehlers Danlos is fun: You can end up with soft tissue, or even bones in the wrong place with limited damage to other stuff). The two raises also have a specific aim: I'm in the kitchen, want to grab tea from the top shelf but arm is to weak to lift to the front, and back shoulder is unstable. I can focus on every muscle doing these frost raises, build some front lifting strength and hopefully automate the right response in the back to this again. Or I walk between two laundry lines, to get laundry left and right of me. The injured arm is too weak to move sideways up repeatedly and the back shoulder is also doing odd things. I'm currently only going to just over 90 degrees, but it makes a ton of a difference in everyday life. :)

Thus none of this is about going to failure or doing as many as possible, but the aim is to go slow, focus on every muscle involved, regain strength and mass again, but also retrain my brain to make use of the right muscles again for the most common situations. Exercise weight is slowly going up, but I need to stick with higher reps for my stupid brain to remember how to move. Sometimes I only start to get it right at rep 8 in set 3. I also can't do much higher reps than 15 because of an inborn muscle condition that still waits for answers (the accident interrupted diagnosis). I only know that every exercise I do is at or above the anaerobic threshold, including running at walking pace with 80-100km/month over many months. And that my muscles just give up once lactate reaches a certain, not even that high level. Thus there's only that much I can do with this rehab.

Normally I'd probably just have fun with bodweight exercises without any specific programming in mind, or work on the top 5 lifts if I had a gym with squat rack and enough and safe equipment. But that's just not my aim here. Today is push day, btw. And I also throw in a lower body day every now and then.
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    maybe worth a read:

Ah ok. I played with the spreadsheet a bit more. Seems like the higher the bodyfat % the higher the calorie expenditure for the exercise. I'm not sure whether that makes sense. I also have no idea what my bodyfat % is. I don't think this website specifically mentions what the definition of training duration is. is it active work plus short breaks between sets? Or including longer breaks between exercises?

So here I'm getting upper end - lower end for two potential body fat estimates
    high %: 181 - 421
    low %: 176 - 416

If I use the intensity minutes garmin gives me (without double counting for vigorious ones) I get a bit less. This assumes it's a good estimate to eliminate the longer breaks between different exercises.

(snip)

I'm not sure exactly what info you're looking for, but I thought the article (Banx's link) was reasonably clear about what they were testing:
    João and colleagues recruited 15 trained men for a crossover study investigating the impact of training intensity on energy expenditure during resistance training. After assessing 1RMs, the subjects performed three different sessions of eight exercises (chest press, pec deck, squat, pull-down, biceps curl, triceps extension, hamstrings curl, and machine crunch). The low-intensity session consisted of 2 sets of 15 reps of each exercise at 60% of 1RM, the moderate-intensity session involved 3 sets of 10 reps at 75% of 1RM, and the high-intensity session required 6 sets of 5 rest mps at 90% of 1RM (Figure 1). Subjects rested two minutes between sets. During each session, subjects wore a portable spirometer (to measure gas exchange) as a means to estimate energy expenditure.

That doesn't specifically talk about rests between exercises (just between sets), though.

If that's not enough the article includes a link to the actual study article, and (at least from here in the US), I can get a full text version at this link:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8714826/

I usually recommend the MFP estimator for strength training because:
    * It's relatively lower,
    * I know heart rate is stupid for strength training,
    * In general strength training is hard to estimate, and
    * There's a certain amount of physiological weirdness around estimating it. (I'm thinking not just about EPOC, but . . . how much calorie cost is there to the higher level of muscle repair? Seems like the regular heavy lifters here often have high TDEEs (anecdotal), and the research suggests that's not just about muscle mass at rest.)
    * On top of that, there have been a couple of people here over the years (Azdak was one) much more expert than I in exercise physiology, who thought that the MFP METS estimate was probably the best of a bad lot of options.

TBH, beyond that, I haven't put a lot of thought into this. For one, I don't do much strength training. For two, my perspective is to find practical exercise calorie estimating methods that are likely to be in the ballpark, with a bias toward avoiding overestimating vs. underestimating. I don't need perfection, just a workable, consistent estimate.

That's just me.

I'm not saying this about you, but I see people here get all tied up in knots about how hard it is to estimate exercise calories accurately. Sometimes they're getting anxious over differences between things like 200 vs. 300 calories for something they do 3 times a week. "Yikes, a whole hundred calories! Yikes, one is 50% higher!").

From the perspective of arithmetic magnitude, and in a context where every blippin' thing is an estimate (food, BMR/RMR, an activity level multiplier, for pity's sake!) . . . it just doesn't matter (IMO).

Couldn't resist (sigh) the usual essay/digression, so spoiler:
    If someone's eating 1500 calories x 7 days, being off by 3 x 100 calories a week on exercise . . . is that 2.8% of calories? There's a limited amount of angst and drama I'm willing to spend on 2.8% of weekly calories, personally. I probably make more logging errors than that in a week, even though I try quite hard to avoid them. Some will be over, some will be under, I'm watching the weight trend, so . . . meh.

When I start doing some new exercise, I look into methods for estimating the exercise calories, and compare multiple methods (if they exist). I try to think about how well the method fits the exercise. (Examples: METS is iffy for things where the work (in the physics sense) isn't very influenced by bodyweight. Heart rate is iffy for strength training because of the influence of physical strain on heart rate independent of oxygen consumption.) Given two methods that seem equally probable to be semi-sensible, I'd pick the one that yields lower estimates. That's good enough for me. All I need is workable estimates.

After that, I use the method consistently, and don't worry about it, unless I come across a new method that looks better (could be more accurate, easier but similarly accurate, whatever). Then I may switch, stick to the new one. (Example: I switched to the ExRX calculator for walking because it's more granular than some, and automatically calculates net, which matters more for walking as I do it than gross vs. net matters for some other things.)
    Even as a happy Garmin user, I wouldn't think Garmin intensity minutes would be great for estimating strength training in any capacity, even just to figure out how much of the session was work vs. rest. Don't you have heart rate idiosyncrasies anyway (seems like you may've mentioned that in other posts, but I may be mistaken)?

I'm honestly not sure how Garmin estimates strength training, either: IMU some trackers are starting to use METS not HR for strength training. I get low estimates from Garmin (usually close the MFP estimate), so was guessing it might use METS. However, I also tend to do higher rep/lower weight (muscle imbalances/injury risk) which won't bring strain into the picture as much. So who knows - it's probably published somewhere, but I haven't even looked.
  • Retroguy2000
    edited April 2023
    Options
    @yirara I played with the spreadsheet too. It gave nearly identical results to my own MET estimate I outlined before. For me it says 267 cal for an hour (additive), and I typically enter 250-300 into MFP. MFP's estimate says 299. I wonder if that would change if I changed my MFP Goal settings from Sedentary.

They're saying in that article that the total calories is about 360 per hour, i.e. 6 per minute. What changes when you adjust the body fat % is the BMR, which when I plug these numbers into sailrabbit, looks like they're using the Cunningham model. Adjusting my body fat % lower in the spreadsheet without changing my weight adds a little to the BMR. This makes sense. In this scenario I'd have more muscle mass, which burns more calories at rest than fat, so at the same weight with less body fat my BMR would be higher. Since the BMR is higher, and the total expended is assumed to be the same, it follows that the additive amount (360-BMR) is lower. But only by a few calories, which is basically noise.

The subjects were all trained men. I'm a bit surprised that total energy expended is the same regardless of body mass. If I halve the body mass here, which would be in line with a petite woman, they still have the same estimate of 360 per hour, and she'd have burned more additive calories because her BMR is much lower. I know that intensity is specific to the person, so e.g. me doing 10 reps bench press with some weight and that petite woman half my mass doing 10 reps bench press with much lower weight can feel similarly intense to both of us, but does a 100kg man and 50kg woman really both use the same amount of energy to move different volumes of weight through space? What would Sir Isaac Newton say?

@AnnPT77 What is the MET flaw in MFP you refer to?
  • yirara
    Options
    Thanks a lot guys. I wasn't quite awake yet this morning. But some data geekery is always good, no?

No workout today. I did stretching and mobility stuff all day and just didn't have any strength left. But hey, tomorrow is another day.
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    @yirara I played with the spreadsheet too. It gave nearly identical results to my own MET estimate I outlined before. For me it says 267 cal for an hour (additive), and I typically enter 250-300 into MFP. MFP's estimate says 299. I wonder if that would change if I changed my MFP Goal settings from Sedentary.

They're saying in that article that the total calories is about 360 per hour, i.e. 6 per minute. What changes when you adjust the body fat % is the BMR, which when I plug these numbers into sailrabbit, looks like they're using the Cunningham model. Adjusting my body fat % lower in the spreadsheet without changing my weight adds a little to the BMR. This makes sense. In this scenario I'd have more muscle mass, which burns more calories at rest than fat, so at the same weight with less body fat my BMR would be higher. Since the BMR is higher, and the total expended is assumed to be the same, it follows that the additive amount (360-BMR) is lower. But only by a few calories, which is basically noise.

The subjects were all trained men. I'm a bit surprised that total energy expended is the same regardless of body mass. If I halve the body mass here, which would be in line with a petite woman, they still have the same estimate of 360 per hour, and she'd have burned more additive calories because her BMR is much lower. I know that intensity is specific to the person, so e.g. me doing 10 reps bench press with some weight and that petite woman half my mass doing 10 reps bench press with much lower weight can feel similarly intense to both of us, but does a 100kg man and 50kg woman really both use the same amount of energy to move different volumes of weight through space? What would Sir Isaac Newton say?

@AnnPT77 What is the MET flaw in MFP you refer to?

IMU it's a gross figure rather than net (not adjusted for BMR/RMR or activity level that would normally be the calorie burn during the time period). I don't mostly consider that a big deal arithmetically for most activities, i.e., somewhat vigorous things done for half an hour or an hour. It can be a bigger deal for something like long, slow walking. I may be biased by the fact that my estimated (not measured) BMR/RMR is pretty low, like 50-ish calories per hour.

There are IMO some issues with particular other entries in the MFP database (like using speed ranges to specify the METS for outdoor biking, when things like bike style, terrain, etc. can make a difference; or the combination of rowing/canoeing in a single entry with the implication that calorie expenditure is the same at any given speed for either of those, irrespective of boat type among other variables; but those aren't the only head-scratchers, just a couple of examples). It's research-based, not always the worst choice of methods.

People on average IMO tend to give fitness trackers/heart rate monitors too much credit for accuracy, and over-criticize the METS approach.

But all we need is workable estimates, and I'd guess that consistency of estimating is a bigger deal in the real-life context than exact technical accuracy, at least once there's reason to think the estimate's somewhere near the ballpark.

• Retroguy2000
    edited April 2023
    Options
    @AnnPT77 I did a bit of testing.

As mentioned, the site with the spreadsheet appears to use the Cunningham model to calculate BMR. It's quite a bit higher than the Miffin St Jeor estimate. The sailrabbit page says this:

"I don't have much on the Cunningham methodology, but it appears to be popular in some bodybuilding and fitness circles. I did run across a study (see below reference #2) however that tested 7 different equations on 51 male athletes and while 6 significantly underestimated Resting Metabolic Rate (RMR), the Cunningham method was the only one to overestimate (at +59 kcal per day). That's pretty darn close, so this may be a good choice if you are heavily active or looking to add some weight. It works pretty much like the Katch-McArdle formula so resting metabolism for fat tissue doesn't appear to be represented here either."

I changed my settings here in Goals to test what the MFP estimate for strength training is whether I choose Sedentary (BMR * 1.25) or the most active (BMR * 1.8). That pushed my TDEE up by about 1,000, however neither setting changed the calorie estimate for strength training.

Adding the MFP estimate for me for 60 minutes (299) plus a single hour of MFP's BMR estimate (Miffin formula) gets to 379. The spreadsheet above estimate for total calories is 360. That's very close. So it may be that MFP's exercise estimate is additive and not including BMR * 1.0.

Therefore, both spreadsheet and MFP are slightly inaccurate for additive calories. The amount of additive calories would be the total used in the workout minus a typical waking hour, not an hour of laying still and not moving a muscle.

The MFP estimate would be over-estimating by the multiplier you've chosen minus one, multiplied by BMR. So in the example of Sedentary, it would be over-estimating by 0.25 * BMR.

Earlier, I said I used my own MET estimate of 250-300 depending on my workout, and MFP said 299. Well, if I subtract 0.25 * BMR from 299, I get 279. That's basically identical.

Btw, MFP has a BMR calculator in the Apps tab at the top of the page on desktop.

@yirara Try the Navy method to estimate your body fat.

common-weed-identification.jpg
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    @AnnPT77 I did a bit of testing.

As mentioned, the site with the spreadsheet appears to use the Cunningham model to calculate BMR. It's quite a bit higher than the Miffin St Jeor estimate. The sailrabbit page says this:

"I don't have much on the Cunningham methodology, but it appears to be popular in some bodybuilding and fitness circles. I did run across a study (see below reference #2) however that tested 7 different equations on 51 male athletes and while 6 significantly underestimated Resting Metabolic Rate (RMR), the Cunningham method was the only one to overestimate (at +59 kcal per day). That's pretty darn close, so this may be a good choice if you are heavily active or looking to add some weight. It works pretty much like the Katch-McArdle formula so resting metabolism for fat tissue doesn't appear to be represented here either."

I changed my settings here in Goals to test what the MFP estimate for strength training is whether I choose Sedentary (BMR * 1.25) or the most active (BMR * 1.8). That pushed my TDEE up by about 1,000, however neither setting changed the calorie estimate for strength training.

Adding the MFP estimate for me for 60 minutes (299) plus a single hour of MFP's BMR estimate (Miffin formula) gets to 379. The spreadsheet above estimate for total calories is 360. That's very close. So it may be that MFP's exercise estimate is additive and not including BMR * 1.0.

Therefore, both spreadsheet and MFP are slightly inaccurate for additive calories. The amount of additive calories would be the total used in the workout minus a typical waking hour, not an hour of laying still and not moving a muscle.

The MFP estimate would be over-estimating by the multiplier you've chosen minus one, multiplied by BMR. So in the example of Sedentary, it would be over-estimating by 0.25 * BMR.

Earlier, I said I used my own MET estimate of 250-300 depending on my workout, and MFP said 299. Well, if I subtract 0.25 * BMR from 299, I get 279. That's basically identical.

Btw, MFP has a BMR calculator in the Apps tab at the top of the page on desktop.

@yirara Try the Navy method to estimate your body fat.

What METS value did you assume MFP was using for strength exercise?

I appreciate your sense of curiosity, but like I said, I'm not super invested in the gross vs. net issue: I don't use the MFP estimates much (other than for strength training), and as I also mentioned, I don't think gross vs. net is a huge deal most of the time. I don't think it is for typical strength training for most people. For sure, I don't worry about it for me. My estimated BMR/RMR is 46-51 calories/hour by Harris-Benedict or Mifflin-St. Jeor, never been tested, but my guess is that that's a little low (Cunningham, considering estimated BF%, would give me 62).

I think @PAV8888 has looked into gross vs. net issues with the MFP values more than I have, so he might have some insights. (@Yirara, I hope you're OK with this getting off into details on your thread.)

At some point, I thought MFP had said they were getting rid of their BMR calculator, so I didn't realize it was still here. I always use Sailrabbit for reference, might as well see a range of estimating methods.

• PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,637 Member
    edited April 2023
    Options
    Sorry guys. Not much into it at this moment.

But back when when I looked at it and randomly sampled MFP appeared to be just straight MET values from the tables.

This means MFP INCLUDES/DOUBLE counts at least 1.25 METS for the duration of the exercise. And if you're setup at anything above sedentary, then you would be subtracting an even higher value to find the net additional CALS using MFP, i.e. 1.4 or 1.6 or 1.8)

If you introduce a tracker and you've got the tracker connected to MFP, I would suggest you make all the adjustments on the tracker side as MFP and trackers have a hard enough time keeping things straight.

The flow used to be that MFP manual activity over-writes tracker detection on the tracker and then feeds-back to MFP, thus negating the tracker doing the work.

Are you trying to gain weight or lose? An easy sanity check would be "moderate" (3 MET = walking level) if you're trying to lose. Higher 5/6 MET if you're trying to gain.

1 MET minute = 1 RMR minute (i.e. MFP miflin BMR) approx. There exists a "corrected" MET which if you think MET values are generally speaking already high (and @yirara in particular generally finds her actual burns to be much less than expected), well this correction would definitely head in the wrong direction.... https://www.sites.google.com/site/compendiumofphysicalactivities/corrected-mets

In another thread I had a beautiful gif of a puppy digging at the beach... but I didn't post it! :smiley:
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    For my rehab I'm doing strength training. Of course I need to nourish my body sufficiently, but I also don't want to gain weight. I know strength training doesn't burn a ton of calories, but if you do something everyday it can easily add up. Anyone fancy a guess? Warning: High volume, low weight

Pull day:
    Bendover barbell row 13.5kg 15x5
    Lateral raise 1.25kgx2 10x5
    Biceps barbell curl 11kg 10x5
    Front raise 1.25/2.5kg 10x5
    Kettlebell row 8kg 15x4
    External banded rotation 7kg 10x3
    Internal banded rotation 15kg 10x3
    Banded row from top of door 30kg 10x3
    Banded row with twist and arm up behind 7kg 10x3

My guess is 150kcal for a nearly 50yr female, not super tall, normal weight. Anyone want to go higher or lower? Garmin, btw gave me 277 active calories, for a volume of just over 4100kg :D (I tried raises with higher weights and did an additional set each)
    The 150 calories is probably pretty close. The true way to see if your equations are correct for your goal is to run it for a month to 6 weeks and see what your weight is doing. You may see indications at the 3 week point that you need to adjust that is fine also. Adjust calorie intake accordingly.

You’ll never be exact on your calorie burning estimates and your calorie intake estimates so the only true way to see how you’re doing with things is by actual results after a short period of time.
  • Retroguy2000
    edited April 2023
    Options
    What METS value did you assume MFP was using for strength exercise?
    I didn't. I just found it interesting that the MFP estimate, and my own estimate, and that spreadsheet linked earlier, were all so close. For my own estimate, I assumed 3.5 MET, minus the 1 for sitting idle instead.

For me, the issue of double counting is significant. At 220 pounds, 100kg, I get the following numbers:

1 MET cals per hour = 105 (that's 3.5 * weight in kg / 200 * 60)
    Cunningham BMR per hour = 93
    MFP BMR per hour = 80

I see MET is often used synonymously with RMR, but it is not the same as BMR. Some sites use all these terms interchangeably, which is wrong.

At an average 3.5 workouts per week, if I didn't account for the double counting of 1 MET, that works out to nearly 350 calories difference per week, potentially 0.1 pounds per week difference, nearly 0.5 pounds per month.

MFP one hour strength training = 299

299/105 = 2.85 MET, which is too low for weights.

However, if we instead treat BMR as RMR, as some sites incorrectly do, then it would be:

299/80 = 3.7, which is a more realistic multiplier. If MFP is simply using MET tables as is, then it's also basing them on the wrong multiplier, using BMR instead of MET.