Hi! New member here. I’m a 56 y.o. female and I joined to help me lose about 20 lbs and keep it off.

Options
I’m having a hard time knowing which item to choose from the list of foods when I’m searching. Some of the calories vary a lot for the same food item. Is there a trick?
Also, any suggestions for someone who gets hungry 2-3 hours after eating? I’ve tried eating more protein, more fiber, & foods that take longer to digest but no luck. I’m sensitive to carbs so try to avoid a lot of pasta, sugar & breads.
Thank you!

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,985 Member
    edited April 2023
    Options
    For the logging thing: 99.9% of the foods in the database are entered by members. There ARE admin-entered (correct) foods but they're not that easy to find.

Here's a thread for you to read:
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1234699/logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide/p1

You can Edit foods that are incorrectly entered already in the database and then they will appear in your My Foods personal list or you can create new My Foods. Once you use one it will be easy to find again in your "Add food > Recents" lists in the FOOD diary.

For the hunger thing? You may be under-eating which causes hunger or you may just need to add more vegetables, have some hot tea, stay busy and/or wait for that hunger/craving to pass. It usually takes me about a week for my body to stop screaming for more food when I cut calories.

How many calories per day are you trying to stick with?
    • With 20 pounds to lose, set your Goals to, "Lose 1/2 pound per week." (One half pound per week.)
    • Be as honest and accurate as possible with your daily general Activity Level in Goals.
    • When you do purposeful exercise - enter that into the Exercise tab and eat a couple hundred more calories per hour of exercise.
    • Log for 4-6 weeks and adjust if necessary.

• vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    For the hunger issue, I've found it helpful to put off eating for the day until very late morning or early afternoon. This isn't for everyone, but it works for me. It means that my cardio is done in a fasted state. Mornings when I eat breakfast at a "normal time" are days that I am eating or wanting to eat ALL. DAY. LONG.
  • 8323L
    8323L Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    vivmom2014 wrote: »
    For the hunger issue, I've found it helpful to put off eating for the day until very late morning or early afternoon. This isn't for everyone, but it works for me. It means that my cardio is done in a fasted state. Mornings when I eat breakfast at a "normal time" are days that I am eating or wanting to eat ALL. DAY. LONG.

I agree with this, this is true for me....also even if your not allergic per say to gluten you can have a carbohydrate sensitivity that makes you crave sugars ( I have both) I crave them but then crash energy wise but crave more...I do much better with protein and vegetables. I just recently joined again so I can lose my 15 lbs winter weight I gain every year it seems, if you like let's be friends and we can chat more...also looking for friends and especially with food sensitivity and allergies like mine ( gluten, dairy and soy) 😊
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    @8323L I am terrible with the "friends" thing -- in fact, I don't keep track of it at all. Just wanted you to know that I saw your message but I am purely a user for tracking my calories and exercise, and checking in on the forums frequently. I don't have any food allergies, but I eat vegetarian since 2014. All the best as you knock off your 15 lbs. -- since you've been around the block before I won't caution you to be patient with such a small amount to lose, but...what the heck: be patient!! :)
  • 8323L
    8323L Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    vivmom2014 wrote: »
    @8323L I am terrible with the "friends" thing -- in fact, I don't keep track of it at all. Just wanted you to know that I saw your message but I am purely a user for tracking my calories and exercise, and checking in on the forums frequently. I don't have any food allergies, but I eat vegetarian since 2014. All the best as you knock off your 15 lbs. -- since you've been around the block before I won't caution you to be patient with such a small amount to lose, but...what the heck: be patient!! :)

Thank you, all the best to you as well:)