Why am I not losing 😩?

Options
I weighed 250 on feb 14th and this morning I was 227.4 but I lost 13 lbs in like 2 weeks and then it’s barely coming off. I eat 1350 calories a day and yes some days I don’t get all my calories in. I log everything I eat. I’m intermittent fasting and doing low carb under 100 carbs a day and doing taebo/kickboxing for 20 minutes a day twice a day. Why am I barely losing weight?

Replies

• snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    Options
    Excuse me, but am I getting this right? You are losing 6.5 lbs a week and you think that's nothing? Whoa......slow down honey. That's a fast rate of loss, perhaps too fast if it continues. Patience. This will be a long haul. Don't burn yourself out. You should pace your weight loss and learn correct portion sizes so you don't gain it all back.
  • courtneycoble77
    courtneycoble77 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I am m not losing 6,5 pounds a week. I lost that the first two weeks but then have slowed way down and I realize that will happen but I went another few weeks of gaining and losing the same 3 pounds. I just feel like I’m not doing something right. And maybe I’m not eating enough. I’m not really hungry is why I’m having a hard time eating all my calories. Once I stopped mindlessly eating junk I realized I’m not actually hungry
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,392 Member
    Options
    So you lost about 23lbs in 7 weeks? Tell me again what the maximum weightloss goal is that MFP is giving you. Ok, I do it for you: it's 2lbs per week. You lost more than 3lbs per week. What's wrong?
  • courtneycoble77
    Options
    I guess you’re right. It’s just not been consistent like that but when you put it in perspective like that it averages out. When I gain it just blows my mind considering how I’m eating and working out.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,114 Member
    Options
    Working out a lot, especially when it's new, leads to water retention for muscle repair. You're probably still losing fat even if the scale isn't moving as fast as you want.
    I'd suggest taking measurements and progress pictures, the scale isn't the only way to judge progress.

Weight loss is not linear, it's perfectly normal to have slower periods, especially after that first 'whoosh' of water weight losses at the start.
  • Rockmama1111
    Rockmama1111 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Think of it like this: Your first two weeks of hard work earned you a gift from the weight loss fairies… 13 pounds of mostly water weight loss to motivate you and get you excited. But you know that 13 pounds can’t be all fat, because that’s pretty much impossible. Now your body is catching up.

23 pounds in 7 weeks is fantastic. It’s taken me 4.5 months to lose 17.
  • courtneycoble77
    Options
    Thank y’all for putting things into perspective and encouraging me. I had an appointment with a weight loss Dr to look at my food journal to tell me what I needed to change but I cancelled. I’d rather not take any medication if I can keep from it and do this on my own
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    Options
    Thank y’all for putting things into perspective and encouraging me. I had an appointment with a weight loss Dr to look at my food journal to tell me what I needed to change but I cancelled. I’d rather not take any medication if I can keep from it and do this on my own

You need patience and stay the course---no matter what. Weight loss is a rollercoaster with hills and valleys. You will not lose the same amount every week. Sometimes you will gain, as mentioned, water weight comes into play. Take pics and measurements as you go along.
  • yirara
    Options

Sorry for the bit of tough love. But you know what? You got this! You've lost a lot of weight, and equally important: you've gotten more active. That's just brilliant! Keep it up. Keep on writing here or ask question, and people will support you <3
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,148 Member
    Options

This ^^^ is really good, that you're finding a healthy perspective.

Losing any meaningful amount of weight is the long game - weeks to months, maybe even years, for some. There will be some roller-coastering on the scale along the way, but the overall long term (multi-weeks) trend will be downward if the process we're using is reasonable.

That implies that there are two parts to success: Achieving a calorie deficit, and living with it for a very long time. Too many people go all in on the deficit (try to lose weight fast), and fail on the living with it (have deprivation-triggered over-eating episodes, long breaks in the action with regain, maybe even give up altogether).

For anyone with a tendency to overweight/obesity (I'm one), weight management isn't an extreme quick project with an end date, after which things go back to normal. That's the recipe for yo-yo weight loss/gain, which is probably the least healthy pattern.

Rather, weight management is a lifelong endeavor, once we recognize that maintaining a new, healthier weight is part of weight management. In fact, maintaining is a key part, and many people find maintaining to be more of a challenge than that initial loss.

For me, making it a point during weight loss to experiment, find ways to make the process easier, figure out which habits would help me reach a healthy weight and stay there long term, and practice those eating and activity patterns during loss . . . that was really powerful. I was overweight to obese for around 30 years. For 7+ years now, I've been at a healthy weight.

It's worth the investment of patience and persistence, because the outcome can be permanently improved quality of life - sure has been for me.

You're having some good insights here, making some good decisions. That bodes well for your long-term success.

Best wishes!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    I guess you’re right. It’s just not been consistent like that but when you put it in perspective like that it averages out. When I gain it just blows my mind considering how I’m eating and working out.

You just have unrealistic expectations. Losing weight isn't linear. It looks like this...

Weight-Loss-Reality-Feature-1024x538.png

It's a trend over time. Day to day weight fluctuates for numerous reasons so losing weight isn't going to be linear
  • yirara
    Options
    Oh yeah... It's been 6 days since I last set foot on a plane. Today I'm rid of the flight waterweight. How do I know? Well, I had to go to the loo three times last night. And that was on top of the waterweight from lifting weights about 5x week. Waterweight just tends to stick around.
  • laurenthecarts
    laurenthecarts Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I can't help but think the commenter of 13xx cals is too low, may be a lucky male, who gets a way higher allowance :wink:
    But it sound about right to me - along the lines of mfp calculations anyway.

I 100% know how you feel - I've been there through every diet attempt, and has often lead to giving up at that time. (Feeling super into this lifestyle change at the moment though, yay! Though I'm also at the slowing down rate and again know the feeling of it being demoralising compared to the endorphin burst that those first couple weigh ins give us)

A few good comments here to hopefully motive you, my two pence - keep thinking of the whole number, not just 'this weeks loss' - it'll help. The success so far is amazing! And keeping at it will have you buzzing week I'm week out, even if it's just a minor loss.

I'm on 25 day streak and have lost a stone, super proud - but, it's slowing down and of course I'm grumpy when it's only a couple pounds or less change compared to dropping big numbers. Maybe it's just a mindset not experienced by everyone, but I'd say it's normal feelings as much as the slower loss is normal - and we'll adjust!

Also, I'm a fan of weighing every day but I only log on Mondays. (I write it down in a notepad each day though). Day by day can change which may affect your mood yes (sometimes I weigh late at night and I tell myself oi, this is 99% gonna make you feel bad :lol: - equally it's given me a side quest of wanting to never see the higher stone, even late at night)
    But, for instance this week I was xst 5.4 Mon, xst 5 Tues, xst 7 wed, today xst 4.2 - so random fluctuation is a thing. Wednesday's weight has increased my motivation, today's number gives me the 'yays'!

All about the bigger picture and sticking with it for sure, but as I say - I get it!
    (Happy to be friended if you want a buddy :) apologies for rambling on for so long!)
  • hoodlisa1979
    hoodlisa1979 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I weighed 250 on feb 14th and this morning I was 227.4 but I lost 13 lbs in like 2 weeks and then it’s barely coming off. I eat 1350 calories a day and yes some days I don’t get all my calories in. I log everything I eat. I’m intermittent fasting and doing low carb under 100 carbs a day and doing taebo/kickboxing for 20 minutes a day twice a day. Why am I barely losing weight?

Like yourself I lost a decent amount to start with then plateaued for a couple of weeks, I'm on day 82 now of 1200 calories a day, I've lost 11.1kg in that time however I haven't lost anything or gained for 3 weeks, I'm not concerned about that because I know the weight will come off, just got to plod on with it, my advise is to weigh your portions to check you aren't unintentionally overeating, don't hate on carbs you need them just try eating non refined ones, I really don't think that its manageable long term to deny yourself foods that you may have previously enjoyed, stick to non processed food as much as possible as there is so much salt in there that won't do you any favours, good luck
  • courtneycoble77
    Options
    Thank you all so much. No I’m not going to give up. I figure the weight can’t hold on forever