First time poster. Sharing my story

Options
Hello! I'm Zach. I've been using mfp off and on for around a decade, but I've never posted on the forums. Figured I might as well give it a go and share a bit about my journey.

I've been uncomfortable with my weight for as long as I can remember. Even as a child, I was on the heavy side. I spent my whole life thinking about "someday" and who I'd be when I lost the weight. I was so ashamed of my weight that I was too ashamed to do anything about it - dieting and exercising felt embarrassing. If I did that, I'd be admitting I was insecure. It's such a silly thing to let hold me back, but it did. For years.

I would track my calorie intake in secret. It would never last. I couldn't pass on foods offered to me. Couldn't tell anyone no, I'm not going to drink that pop you bought me, or eat my favorite snack that you picked up for me. That would reveal my deep, dark secret - that I was trying to be healthy! Oh no!
So, I never got anywhere.

I dealt with some pretty major depression for a few years. I wasn't working, and was drinking entirely too much. I hit my highest weight at 220 pounds.

In 2020, something finally clicked. Honestly, I'm not sure what it was. I woke up one day and I was just... tired of it. I got back on mfp and actually took it seriously. I tracked my food intake religiously. I found foods that I liked that would work with my new diet. Crazy thing is, it wasn't even that hard. In about 16 months, I lost 75 pounds.

I've maintained that weight for a year-ish. I still have about 20 pounds to go before I hit my goal weight, and I've started working on it again this week. I feel good about the future. 20 pounds seems like nothing compared to what I've already accomplished. I'm confident I'll get there 👍

(Oh, and in case anyone is wondering - I also got sober, got therapy, and have a full time job 😁)

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,150 Member
    Options
    That's wonderful - congratulations on all of those positive accomplishments!

The details are very different, but I also had that experience that suddenly some switch in my head flipped, and I was committed to weight loss/management. I don't know exactly what finally made that happen for me, let alone how others might be able to do something similar . . . but if I did, I'd bottle it, sell it, maybe make millions.

Wishing you continuing good outcomes, which it sounds like you have well in hand!
  • Pdc654
    Pdc654 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    The mental aspect of weight loss is so important! It's that click in your head that suddenly makes losing weight important enough to make you committed enough actually succeed! It has to be more important than any short term pleasure you get from eating in excess. Congratulations on your weight loss, a year of maintenance, and all your other accomplishments. With your attitude and commitment, I'm sure you'll lose that final 20 lbs. Best wishes.