• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,418 Member
    edited May 2023
    Options
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options
    jseams1234 wrote: »
    ...found that keto diets improve or eliminate a variety of autoimmune disorders of which osteoarthritis is one. I will never go back to carbs (except for my birthday cake :)

Osteoarthritis (OA) is NOT an autoimmune disorder. It's simply, in its most basic definition, excessive wear over time of the protective cartilage on the ends of the bones.

https://www.cdc.gov/arthritis/basics/osteoarthritis.htm#:~:text=Osteoarthritis (OA) is the most,underlying bone begins to change.

Yeah, this one is confusing. It was classified as as noninflammatory arthritis but studies from around 2014-15 now believe it is inflammation.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/25784380/

Recent findings: Inflammation was seen as the key component promoting synovitis as well as progression of cartilage and bone destruction in osteoarthritis. Thus, metabolic-triggered inflammation involving cytokines, adipokines, abnormal metabolites, acute phase reactants and even complement, all appear to play major roles in osteoarthritis pathophysiology.

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,418 Member
    Options
    The whole community in an uproar because I said quit carbs in caps. My post was meant to show that other options exist and they do work. Every dietary plan I have ever been given has included carbs as the main source of nutrition. I'm so regretful that I actually paid for that.
    I have struggled with my health and weight most of my life.
    This is something that I don't consider to be a diet but a healthy life change. And it's working. Even thin people can be unhealthy.
    Yep, I feel lied to.
    Issues that I have been addressing with my doctors for years are no longer issues.
    My joints aren't swollen and painful, no more RLS, my fatty liver is no longer fatty, no more hypertension, my A1C is back to normal, my skin feels better, sleeping way better and sooooo much more energy. And the bonus is losing weight. And.... yes, improved mental clarity.
    The food industry has zero incentive other than to keep you coming back for your next carb rush. Your health means nothing to them. If you're addicted, chances are so are your children and so on.
    I felt so strongly to make that first post because for the first time, I found something that works for me, I see it working for others, and it makes sense.
    Dr. Berry is very knowledgeable and has had his own personal experiences. Dr.Ekberg is another amazing resource.
    I think it's important that we advocate for ourselves. Do the research. Find a doctor that listens to you.
    Hope you all stay happy & healthy
    Tina

I'm absolutely sincerely happy for you that you've found your perfect formula. That's wonderful, almost magical!

Assuming it's universally the right answer, and posting accordingly, is over-reach, that's all.

It's a disservice to suggest your personal best route is everyone's best route. It can be a route to try, sure, if someone hasn't found their individual right path yet. It's good to share your n=1 subjective reactions.

Low carb was awful for me when I tried it, and that awfulness will be true for some others . . . but not for everyone. For me, low carb was also entirely unnecessary to meet my goals . . . also not true for everyone. For some people, like you, it's perfect. I respect that.

I understand how finding your personal right path can feel almost like a religious conversion. But that kind of post will get push-back here, because it becomes pretty clear pretty fast that different people have different best paths.

Keep posting, keep participating. Maybe don't oversell?

In practice, it's likely that a "I tried this and it worked really well for me, so maybe you might want to try it, too" kind of approach will tend to win more support and converts. You were off to a good start with your OP, really, but the title and a little of the verbiage ("It will change your life and your relation with food", plus that "QUIT EATING CARBS") were a little over the top. IOW, tell us how you feel, don't tell us how we'll feel (because you might be wrong . . . as was true in this case).

• neanderthin
    edited May 2023
    Options
    Reducing carbs is not eliminating them as a food group, not even sure how that even registers as an argument when vegetarian or vegan happen to actually omit categories of food. I suspect most of the 250 million overweight and obese people in the US will not be going low carb either, so no worries, and suspect they will continue to eat all the yummy food they've eaten all their lives, well, maybe some will decide to eat fewer carbs. Personally the category of food I'm trying eliminate is ultra processed, and so far I've resisted those yummy foods rather easily with no cravings, so wish me luck. >:) Cheers.
  • sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    Reducing carbs is not eliminating them as a food group, not even sure how that even registers as an argument when vegetarian or vegan happen to actually omit categories of food. I suspect most of the 250 million overweight and obese people in the US will not be going low carb either, so no worries, and suspect they will continue to eat all the yummy food they've eaten all their lives, well, maybe some will decide to eat fewer carbs. Personally the category of food I'm trying eliminate is ultra processed, and so far I've resisted those yummy foods rather easily with no cravings, so wish me luck. Cheers.

I had a tantrum and cried and screamed every time I passed a McDonalds for the first 6 months when I cut out fast food. And I didn't even like McDonald's that much.
  • neanderthin
    Options
    sollyn23l2 wrote: »
    Reducing carbs is not eliminating them as a food group, not even sure how that even registers as an argument when vegetarian or vegan happen to actually omit categories of food. I suspect most of the 250 million overweight and obese people in the US will not be going low carb either, so no worries, and suspect they will continue to eat all the yummy food they've eaten all their lives, well, maybe some will decide to eat fewer carbs. Personally the category of food I'm trying eliminate is ultra processed, and so far I've resisted those yummy foods rather easily with no cravings, so wish me luck. Cheers.

I had a tantrum and cried and screamed every time I passed a McDonalds for the first 6 months when I cut out fast food. And I didn't even like McDonald's that much.

Hahaha. It actually wasn't a big deal for me. Lived rurally until my teens and fast food was maybe once a month. Personally I find most fast foods totally disgusting as far as taste, texture and composition is concerned and my achilles heel was desserts and sugary things. Still eat at the table for dinner, it's still an occasion to relax and share with family and friends and because I'm a chef, they like coming over, a lot. Anyway, whole foods do it for me and lower carb keeps my wiring from a meltdown. cheers.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,019 Member
    Options
    I don't think some push back on one thread is exactly the whole community in an uproar. :*

I think you have vastly overstated your impact there.

The push back isnt because of 1 sentence in capitals - you have missed the point of replies if you think that

I have no issue with anyone sharing a way of eating that works for them.

I do have an issue with claiming your way is The One Way for everyone, claiming other people are addicted etc.

Yes you have an option that worked for you - low carb is hardly a new or original option though.
    Pays to read threads before making melodramatic claims - you would have seen that for yourself before doing so.
  • sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    The whole community in an uproar because I said quit carbs in caps. My post was meant to show that other options exist and they do work. Every dietary plan I have ever been given has included carbs as the main source of nutrition. I'm so regretful that I actually paid for that.
    I have struggled with my health and weight most of my life.
    This is something that I don't consider to be a diet but a healthy life change. And it's working. Even thin people can be unhealthy.
    Yep, I feel lied to.
    Issues that I have been addressing with my doctors for years are no longer issues.
    My joints aren't swollen and painful, no more RLS, my fatty liver is no longer fatty, no more hypertension, my A1C is back to normal, my skin feels better, sleeping way better and sooooo much more energy. And the bonus is losing weight. And.... yes, improved mental clarity.
    The food industry has zero incentive other than to keep you coming back for your next carb rush. Your health means nothing to them. If you're addicted, chances are so are your children and so on.
    I felt so strongly to make that first post because for the first time, I found something that works for me, I see it working for others, and it makes sense.
    Dr. Berry is very knowledgeable and has had his own personal experiences. Dr.Ekberg is another amazing resource.
    I think it's important that we advocate for ourselves. Do the research. Find a doctor that listens to you.
    Hope you all stay happy & healthy
    Tina
    Doing research means you look at PEER REVIEWED evidence and not just read what you want to hear. Anybody who advocates their diet will usually CHERRY pick information that supports their stance. It's why you should look at peer reviewed evidence to then get opposing evidence and make a concise decision.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Yep. Everyone can have a tendency to do this. If I believe a certain thing about nutrition, I will be more apt to pay attention to anything that agrees with my view that I already have. That being said, someone can be biased and right, so that's why, even if you think someone is biased, it's important to look at the totality of evidence and ascertain which holds more scientific merit.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,592 Member
    Options
    @teenerbug1968

Welcome to MFP, where the same folks who flog a dead horse til it begs for mercy are the same folks who will bend over backwards and spend an hour writing a well thought and caring post to help someone out of a diet, exercise or mental rut.

Please stick around!

I’ll never forget a thread I started early on. Cheeks still pink and ears still ringing lol.

Hope to see you around. 😘
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,952 Member
    edited May 2023
    Options
    @teenerbug1968

Welcome to MFP, where the same folks who flog a dead horse til it begs for mercy are the same folks who will bend over backwards and spend an hour writing a well thought and caring post to help someone out of a diet, exercise or mental rut.

Please stick around!

I’ll never forget a thread I started early on. Cheeks still pink and ears still ringing lol.

Hope to see you around. 😘

Yes, I caught a lot of flak from one of my first posts and almost quit. Glad I didn't. That was 11 years ago.
  • carley_marie83
    carley_marie83 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Read ...Lies my doctor told me, by Dr. KEN BERRY
    It will change your life and your relation with food. It is not a diet so much as a way of life.
    The benefits my husband and I have gained already are amazing. Overall better health, losing weight, increased energy, improved labs, fewer medications, decreased inflammation and pain, improved mental clarity.
    The list goes on..... what did we do??
    QUIT EATING THE CARBS!

I'm happy for you and your husband.

I live in Italy and we eat a lot of carbs here---pasta, pizza, breads, pasteries, etc. The population is not obese and most are at a normal weight for their height. Carbs are not the devil. Overeating is.

Thankyou so much for saying that. People are so quick to blame carbs. Yet they won't blame the excessive food, fast food, too many snacks, all the soda, lack of exercise. When I was Italy for 3 months, we ate carbs, we were very active,I lost 10 kilos.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,019 Member
    edited January 11
    Options
    I always want them to check back in six months, or better yet - two years. How long did you stay with it? Is your weight where you want it and steady at a healthy number? Most of the low carb converts are newly minted. This OP even goes so far as to say all carbs. Not sure how that is going to work long term.

Being converted to a low carb evangelist for a couple months to lose some pounds is one thing. Actually eating that way forever is really challenging - and I agree, not necessary.

or even 9 months later - since the thread has been bumped up now, 9 months afterwards.

Did you continue with this OP?

Did you modify it to suit your personal way of life?

Did it acheive the results you were expecting?

always good to have follow ups.
  • Rockymountainliving
    Rockymountainliving Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I just spent 2 months in Japan and can attest that the places serving sweet rolls and McDonalds had lines around the block at lunch. I was also expecting a much slimmer population. They are not "overweight" but not the 20 bmi the overall population was before. It was particularly noticeable in the under 25, while the elderly were still slim. So I agree, from personal observation, that it is changing in Japan at least.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    I just spent 2 months in Japan and can attest that the places serving sweet rolls and McDonalds had lines around the block at lunch. I was also expecting a much slimmer population. They are not "overweight" but not the 20 bmi the overall population was before. It was particularly noticeable in the under 25, while the elderly were still slim. So I agree, from personal observation, that it is changing in Japan at least.

Yep serving junk will tend to catch up, even on a population basis.
  • need2move2
    need2move2 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Every body is different, we are all unique. Carnivore works for my body. It helps me keep my crohns in check. I listen to Dr. Berry all the time. Find what works for you! Good luck!
    Meat heals!