May Green Smoothie Challenge

Options
tatilove1988
tatilove1988 Posts: 322 Member
If you are anything like me, getting all your servings of vegetables (and fruit) isn’t always easy. It could be due to lack of time, lack of motivation, don’t like the taste, or any other reason.

Well the solution to this is the green smoothie.

Chuck full of leafy greens and other vegetables, some fruits to add sweetness and creaminess, milk for consistency, nut butters for healthy fats, if needed we can also add a protein powder, olive or coconut oil.

Use ANY vegetables you want. If you’re planning on using hard root vegetables (beets, carrots, etc..), if your blender isn’t high speed, you may want to slightly cook them first.

The challenge:

Every day you post a picture of your green smoothie alone with the ingredients used.

Use whatever you have, literally anything can go in a green smoothie.

Tips 💡

For sweetness: fruits, especially dates and ripe bananas, but any sweet fruit works

For creaminess: avocados, bananas, greek yogurt, nut butters

For protein: protein powder, almond butter, peanut butter, greek yogurt

For consistency: Use milk/vegan milk or coconut water instead of juices

Feel free to add supplement powders such as chlorella, spirulina, collagen, etc…

Replies

• SafariGalNYC
    SafariGalNYC Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    @tatilove1988 - so happy you started this thread! I’ll jump in with smoothies tomorrow. ;)
  • SafariGalNYC
    Options
    🌞 Morning greens -

Kale, bok choy, watercress, spirulina with chanterais melon and açai.

rjjc7nl3f9vs.jpeg
  • tatilove1988
    Options
    🌞 Morning greens -

rjjc7nl3f9vs.jpeg

Morning

Wowww beautiful deep green. Is this a smoothie or juice?

Either way, it’s full of goodness.

I’m off to making mine right now.

• tatilove1988
    edited May 2023
    Options
    Kale 🥬
    Spinach 🌱
    Haskap berries 🫐
    Papaya 🍈
    Banana 🍌
    Flax seeds
    Skyr (High protein yogurt) 🥛
    Almond butter 🌰
    Peanut butter 🥜
    Cashew milk 🥛

I was so excited while blending and saw the smoothie turn purple (thanks to the haskap), but it wasn’t long until it became the murky brown you see 🤣
  • tatilove1988
    Options
    tmrm5dnfq29x.jpg
  • SafariGalNYC
    edited May 2023
    Options
    🌞 Morning greens -

rjjc7nl3f9vs.jpeg

Morning

Wowww beautiful deep green. Is this a smoothie or juice?

Either way, it’s full of goodness.

I’m off to making mine right now.

ahh - I included collagen peptides in the vitamix… so I would say smoothie? 😉
  • SafariGalNYC
    Options
    Kale 🥬
    Spinach 🌱
    Haskap berries 🫐
    Papaya 🍈
    Banana 🍌
    Flax seeds
    Skyr (High protein yogurt) 🥛
    Almond butter 🌰
    Peanut butter 🥜
    Cashew milk 🥛

I was so excited while blending and saw the smoothie turn purple (thanks to the haskap), but it wasn’t long until it became the murky brown you see 🤣

Ooooh hasksap berries!
  • mkksemail
    mkksemail Posts: 1,223 Member
    Options
    Hello 🙋‍♀️

I hope it's ok if I join to watch and get ideas, rather than participate. I def don't get enough green veggies. I worked on increasing veggie consumption last year, but I tended to pick red orange and white veggies, rather than green ones 🤪.

I've thought about getting a nutribullet, so I could make smoothies using some greens, but I hav not done so, yet

My usual place is Fitbit, but their food logging isn't top notch 😀.

I lost 30 lbs over 18 mos ... then I managed to gain it all back in about 3 mos 😖.

Starting again ... using my app time to food log instead of participate in challenges (Fitbit dumped their challenges about 6 weeks ago).

Here's to beginning again 😀

Cheers!
    - MK 🙂
  • tatilove1988
    edited May 2023
    Options

Ooooh hasksap berries!
    [/quote]

lol they grow well where I live (Canada). Apparently they have 3 times the antioxidant of a blueberry.

Btw, have you noticed a difference while taking the collagen? I’ve been thinking of incorporating that myself.
  • tatilove1988
    Options
    mkksemail wrote: »
    Hello 🙋‍♀️

I hope it's ok if I join to watch and get ideas, rather than participate. I def don't get enough green veggies. I worked on increasing veggie consumption last year, but I tended to pick red orange and white veggies, rather than green ones 🤪.

I've thought about getting a nutribullet, so I could make smoothies using some greens, but I hav not done so, yet

I lost 30 lbs over 18 mos ... then I managed to gain it all back in about 3 mos 😖.

Starting again ... using my app time to food log instead of participate in challenges (Fitbit dumped their challenges about 6 weeks ago).

Cheers!
    - MK 🙂

Hi MK,

Congrats on losing 30 lbs, even if you gained it back, it shows you are capable of doing it!
    Weight loss and health journeys are about staying consistent and making lifestyle changes. I’m certain with the right changes, some discipline and perseverance, you will meet your goals.

Also, yes! Of course you are welcome to watch or participate as you wish. Nutribullets are great, but you can make a smoothie in your good old $20 blender if that’s what you have. I currently use a ninja, and it does a really good job (though not comparable to a vitamix).

Ps. I’m also on fitbit, I understand those challenges being dropped caused quite a stir. If you want an accountability partner, you can always add me. 💕

Best of luck!
  • tatilove1988
    Options
    Today’s smoothie:

Beets 🍠
    Beet greens 🌱
    Spinach 🌱
    Kale 🥬
    Haskap berries 🫐
    Tart cherries 🍒
    Banana 🍌
    Almond butter 🌰
    Skyr (high protein yogurt) 🥛
    Flax seeds
    Cashew milk 🥛

The beets, tart cherries and haskap berries made it impossible for the green colour to show in my smoothie, though there are 3 types of greens in it. Next time I make this, I’ll add avocado 🥑
  • tatilove1988
    Options
    vr3yift7wf96.png
  • mkksemail
    Options

Ooooh hasksap berries!

lol they grow well where I live (Canada). Apparently they have 3 times the antioxidant of a blueberry.

Btw, have you noticed a difference while taking the collagen? I’ve been thinking of incorporating that myself.

Interesting! Do they taste like blueberries, too? I've never heard of haskap berries before ... what part of Canada are you in, if you don't mind me asking. I'm in Maine, wondering if they grue here, too? Maine is huge blueberry growing state - I wonder if the blueberries just drowned out the haskap berries 😆

Cheers!
    - mk 🙂
  • mkksemail
    Options
    Hello 🙋‍♀️

Cheers!
    - MK 🙂

Hi MK,

Congrats on losing 30 lbs, even if you gained it back, it shows you are capable of doing it!
    Weight loss and health journeys are about staying consistent and making lifestyle changes. I’m certain with the right changes, some discipline and perseverance, you will meet your goals.

Also, yes! Of course you are welcome to watch or participate as you wish. Nutribullets are great, but you can make a smoothie in your good old $20 blender if that’s what you have. I currently use a ninja, and it does a really good job (though not comparable to a vitamix).

Ps. I’m also on fitbit, I understand those challenges being dropped caused quite a stir. If you want an accountability partner, you can always add me. 💕

Best of luck!

Thank you !!!! 🩷🩷🩷
    Hm, interesting in the regular blender, I thought I'd need one that blended differently to my regular blender. Ty for letting me know - I'll watch you guys for a bit and get some ideas, and give it a go next week 😀

I haven't figured out how to use the controls here yet, so I don't know how to add you 🤪. Are you the same name on fb? I'll look for you there 🙂. (I'm MaryK K on Fitbit)

Cheers!
    - mk 🙂
  • SafariGalNYC
    Options
    Todays green smoothie:

Kale
    Watercress
    Spirulina
    Broccoli microgreens
    Chanterais melon
    Collagen peptides

9jaxv8baykyw.jpeg

@mkksemail - hi! Welcome. I do a lot of veggies.. but I get my greens in by drinking them. Love it. Can’t wait to see your photos!

@tatilove1988 - I do like the collagen peptides. I notice my skin is more hydrated and my hair and nails are stronger. I’m mindful that some of the peptides are not complete proteins. So I get in complete proteins where I can. 😉 love the beets in todays shake!
  • tatilove1988
    Options

Ooooh hasksap berries!

Interesting! Do they taste like blueberries, too? I've never heard of haskap berries before ... what part of Canada are you in, if you don't mind me asking. I'm in Maine, wondering if they grue here, too? Maine is huge blueberry growing state - I wonder if the blueberries just drowned out the haskap berries 😆

Cheers!
    - mk 🙂

Hi MK,

Maybe do grow where you are, maybe they have a different name. We call them camerise in french. They taste like of mix of berries; Iike blueberries and raspberries in one fruit. They can be tart though, but I actually love tartness. In the summer, right around blueberry picking time, you can go haskap berry picking the same way you would strawberry or blueberries.

I’m from Montreal, in the province of Quebec. Maine and Québec share a pretty long border. I often see Maine licence plates here because it’s such a short drive. I see a lot of Vermont plates as well, actually all the new England plates really 😂

I’ve never actually been to Maine. Which area do you live? Most importantly how’s the clam chowder there 😋

Ps. I didn’t find MaryK K on fitbit, but I did find a MaryK. My name there is Tatiana P.

Pps. Yes, your regular blender should work fine, but you may need to blend longer (2 to 3 minutes) for smooth results. I blend 90 seconds to two minutes in my ninja.
  • tatilove1988
    Options
    Todays green smoothie:

Kale
    Watercress
    Spirulina
    Broccoli microgreens
    Chanterais melon
    Collagen peptides

9jaxv8baykyw.jpeg

@mkksemail - hi! Welcome. I do a lot of veggies.. but I get my greens in by drinking them. Love it. Can’t wait to see your photos!

@tatilove1988 - I do like the collagen peptides. I notice my skin is more hydrated and my hair and nails are stronger. I’m mindful that some of the peptides are not complete proteins. So I get in complete proteins where I can. 😉 love the beets in todays shake!

Yummmmm! Watercress is one of my favourite greens in a salad. You haven’t tried anything until you’ve had a watercress and beets salad 🤤

Yes, of course it’s important to get plenty of protein. Especially if you’re plant based. You’ve convinced me on the collagen. Girl I’m 6 months postpartum and could use the pretty hair and skin 😩 😂😂

Btw, I can’t help but notice you have plants in the background. Do you grow your own greens? I’m planning on doing that this spring/summer.
  • mkksemail
    Options

Hi MK,

Maybe do grow where you are, maybe they have a different name. We call them camerise in french. They taste like of mix of berries; Iike blueberries and raspberries in one fruit. They can be tart though, but I actually love tartness. In the summer, right around blueberry picking time, you can go haskap berry picking the same way you would strawberry or blueberries.

I’m from Montreal, in the province of Quebec. Maine and Québec share a pretty long border. I often see Maine licence plates here because it’s such a short drive. I see a lot of Vermont plates as well, actually all the new England plates really 😂

I’ve never actually been to Maine. Which area do you live? Most importantly how’s the clam chowder there 😋

Ps. I didn’t find MaryK K on fitbit, but I did find a MaryK. My name there is Tatiana P.

Pps. Yes, your regular blender should work fine, but you may need to blend longer (2 to 3 minutes) for smooth results. I blend 90 seconds to two minutes in my ninja.

Good morning, Tatiana! 🙋‍♀️

Hmmm, interesting, in the berries! I'll have to look into it, come summer 🌞.

I got a message that there is no Tatiana P username on Fitbit 😬. I did send a friend request to tatielove1988 yesterday, tho. That name didn't return an error message.

I'm in Portland ☺️. The clam chowder offerings are top notch, just about anywhere up and down the coast 😁. My husband and I spent a weekend in Montreal about a decade ago. Canadian Thanksgiving weekend, coincidentally. Loved! the city - and the food!! I remember a Polish restaurant, a Jewish deli, and poutine!, in particular. We also went to an amazing museum with history of the First Nations, exploration of the Hudson by European settlers, and that sort of thing.
  • mkksemail
    Options
    Todays green smoothie:

Kale
    Watercress
    Spirulina
    Broccoli microgreens
    Chanterais melon
    Collagen peptides

9jaxv8baykyw.jpeg

Thank you! ☺️
  • SafariGalNYC
    Options
    Todays smoothie:

Kale
    Sweet pea greens
    Beet
    Collagen peptides
    Black currants
    Strawberry
    Spirulina

@tatilove1988 - I grow rosemary and basil! The other big plants 🪴 are various bushes and foliage I have inside and out. :) I have a pothos and fern addiction. Lol

axtsh35clnk3.jpeg
    ix7coulm90et.jpeg