Books, Books, Books - What are you reading??

Options
I wanted to share with you all the books I am currently reading (these are in no order):

Killer Crullers by Jessica Beck (94/276 done)
The Dirty Parts of the Bible by Sam Torode (18% done)
The Frozen Trail by Lisa Dayley (30% done)
A Perfect Stranger by Alice Duncan (32% done)
Do Over by Lisa Scott (0% done)
She's Gotta Be Mine by Jasmine Haynes and Jennifer Skully (0% done)
Splitsville.com by Tonya Kappes (0% done)
Lucidity: A Ghost of a Love Story by CJ Lyons (0% done)
Shadowbloom by The Sullivan Brothers (0% done)
The Gauntlet Assassin by LJ Sellers (0% done)

You can follow me on Goodreads for more updates!
http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/20457571-alyssa

I would love to know what everyone else is reading! :drinker:

Replies

• vanillacoffee
    vanillacoffee Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Just finished- A Year In the Merde- Stephen Clarke :)
  • LadyGhostDuchess
    LadyGhostDuchess Posts: 894 Member
    Options

Oh is it good?
  • Nix143
    Nix143 Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Highly recommend right now the 'Wool' triliogy - more dystopian themes akin to The Hunger Games.
  • onedayatatime12
    onedayatatime12 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Wuthering Heights is on my to-read list. Hopefully I can check it out of the local library tomorrow! I heard there are so many plot twists, and that it's very interesting. Yay!
  • LadyGhostDuchess
    Options
    Highly recommend right now the 'Wool' triliogy - more dystopian themes akin to The Hunger Games.

Nix! That is so crazy! I literally just downloaded the first book on my kindle because it was free and my friend recommended it to me! Great minds must think a like! Thank you for the recommendation!
    Wuthering Heights is on my to-read list.

I have this on my "to read" list too, I got it for free on my kindle :)
  • vanillacoffee
    Options

Oh is it good?

Yes, i loved it!
  • vanillacoffee
    Options
    Wuthering Heights is on my to-read list. Hopefully I can check it out of the local library tomorrow! I heard there are so many plot twists, and that it's very interesting. Yay!

Didnt expect to, but I really liked this book too!
  • StripedSmoker
    StripedSmoker Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Metro 2034, the first book (Metro 2033) was the one I read just before... also I am struggling with The Physician for no real reason, but I am determined to finish it... eventually.
  • LaserOctopus
    LaserOctopus Posts: 121 Member
    Options

I thought I was the only person who had ever read this :)
    As you suggest, it's definitely not introducing any new ideas or surprises or anything (and I suspect the author read a *lot* of the same authors I did growing up, lol), but it's a fun, easy read nonetheless.
    It is somewhat tame for Dystopian, but not in a bad way.
    Wuthering Heights is on my to-read list.

You could definitely call that twisty and turny... <evil grin>

Other than that, I'm just here for the recommendations. I have such a terrible habit, I've now limited myself to a book every five pounds lost... and I'm trying *not* to spend all of my money in the used bookstores or pre-ordering every book by my favorite authors off of Amazon so I have them on day one (except for one that I will get tomorrow, for one of those five-pound rewards).

One day, I might even learn to put them down once in a while, instead of reading each one in one sitting (unlikely, I know, but *theoretically* possible).
  • Elicur
    Elicur Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Currently reading Under the Net by Iris Murdoch.
    I'll add you on Goodreads!! :D

I'm me : http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/5871159-liz
  • MissJanet55
    MissJanet55 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Just finished May We Be Forgiven by A M Homes, loved it. It is a big, weird, humane book, very funny and sad at the same time.

Also just enjoyed Cooked by Michael Pollan (cooking your own food is a radical act) and Sugar Salt Fat by Michael Moss. Both excellent.
  • LadyGhostDuchess
    Options
    I have such a terrible habit, I've now limited myself to a book every five pounds lost... and I'm trying *not* to spend all of my money in the used bookstores or pre-ordering every book by my favorite authors off of Amazon so I have them on day one (except for one that I will get tomorrow, for one of those five-pound rewards).

I use to do this!

But I am so addicted I can't do it anymore. It was:
    5 pounds: One book
    +5 pounds: Two books
    +5 pounds: Four books
    +5 pounds: Eight books

Then I moved onto: I could not buy any new books until I read five "paper" books. That lasted until I got addicted to a series. Oopsy! I have not bought any books other than two, since I finished that series (minus E-Books, they don't count if they are 1$ or less lol).
  • 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    Reading 600 hours of Edward and loving it!
  • LaserOctopus
    LaserOctopus Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I have such a terrible habit, I've now limited myself to a book every five pounds lost... and I'm trying *not* to spend all of my money in the used bookstores or pre-ordering every book by my favorite authors off of Amazon so I have them on day one (except for one that I will get tomorrow, for one of those five-pound rewards).

I use to do this!

But I am so addicted I can't do it anymore. It was:
    5 pounds: One book
    +5 pounds: Two books
    +5 pounds: Four books
    +5 pounds: Eight books

Then I moved onto: I could not buy any new books until I read five "paper" books. That lasted until I got addicted to a series. Oopsy! I have not bought any books other than two, since I finished that series (minus E-Books, they don't count if they are 1$ or less lol).

Haha! The only reason I can do it right now is that my life is super-busy these days, barely any time for reading for fun... Otherwise, yes, I am one of those people who will bring home a bag of books from the local new/used or the nearest multi-story independent bookstore (not that we have those here, where we often come out on top of the list of Most Illiterate US Cities - I wonder if those things are related), and then read them all in two days and become traumatized that I'm out of books.

I do not yet have a reader, though I bought Mom a Kindle a year and a half ago. I both covet and fear it. I love the used bookstore thing too much, and I'm a highly tactile person, and I *love* the smell and feel of books... not to mention going to the author talks and waiting in line for signatures and all of that. But I'm sure I will give in eventually, it's too easy and too cheap and too convenient not to.
  • CherylP67
    CherylP67 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    Reading Gone Girl. It's stressful but I can't put it down.

One of my favorite books of the past few years was 11/22/63 by Stephen King. It's not his normal nightmare fuel story. It is excellent.
  • RN514
    RN514 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    Reading Gone Girl. It's stressful but I can't put it down.

One of my favorite books of the past few years was 11/22/63 by Stephen King. It's not his normal nightmare fuel story. It is excellent.

Easy by Tammara Webber
    ...typical cliche chick book.

Gone Girl is next on my list, hoping to start it today!
  • karl39x
    karl39x Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    Finished World War Z a while back, thinking of starting Johnny Got His Gun.
  • ostrichagain
    ostrichagain Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Farmers of Forty Centuries by F.H. King
    Innocents Abroad by Mark Twain
  • SadFaerie
    SadFaerie Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    "How to Survive the End of the World as We Know It" James Wesley Rawles

I like knowing why I keep in shape.
  • ichoose2believe
    ichoose2believe Posts: 108 Member