Books, Books, Books - What are you reading??

Options

Replies

• LadyGhostDuchess
    LadyGhostDuchess Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I love the used bookstore thing too much, and I'm a highly tactile person, and I *love* the smell and feel of books...

Used Books scare me sometimes lol because I am so OCD. I have recently started to get them. Started with the Harlequin books
  • LaserOctopus
    LaserOctopus Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I love the used bookstore thing too much, and I'm a highly tactile person, and I *love* the smell and feel of books...

Used Books scare me sometimes lol because I am so OCD. I have recently started to get them. Started with the Harlequin books

I love used books. They have an extra story. Are they a lost favorite (we *all* have those books we read once or twice or even thrice a year)? A mismatched book and reader, separated? An idea outgrown? Or worse, an idea abandoned? A gift, discarded? Or spurned? Is there a reader somewhere, having passed on, leaving his books to carry on without him?

Sometimes you find a note in the margin, or a receipt used as a bookmark. Where has this book visited? Was it merely a tool to ease the tedium of a commute by train? Or a grand adventure in a favorite chair by the window? A welcome escape from a terrible life? A life-changing idea for a mind ready to be opened? They could have been anything. Can be everything.

That being said, I do get a case of squick if they're sticky or dirty or otherwise gross. What sort of person would do that to a book?
  • itsjustdawn
    itsjustdawn Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    The Gunslinger by Stephen King. Again. Probably the 7th or 8th time in less than 20 years.
  • ohheyitsfelicity
    Options
    I just finished Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me (and Other Concerns) by Mindy Kaling. Such a nice, simple read but absolutely hilarious at once. I'm not 100% sure what I'm going to read next, but I have a few Candace Bushenll books so I may start one of them :)
  • Mother_Superior
    Mother_Superior Posts: 1,624 Member
    Options
    Eight Lectures on Theoretical Physics - Max Planck
    CCENT/CCNA ICND1 Official Cert. Gude - Wendell Odom
    The Cyphernomicon - Timothy May
    Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire - J.K. Rowling
  • lucystacy71
    lucystacy71 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I'm a bit of an oddball. I'm currently reading Zombies, a collection of zombie short stories, and rereading Jane Eyre. I like a bit of variety I suppose.
  • mag131
    mag131 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    Highly recommend right now the 'Wool' triliogy - more dystopian themes akin to The Hunger Games.

Nix! That is so crazy! I literally just downloaded the first book on my kindle because it was free and my friend recommended it to me! Great minds must think a like! Thank you for the recommendation!

Where did you get it for free?? Amazon is currently selling the kindle edition for 5.99. :/
  • tbonethemighty
    tbonethemighty Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I keep putting this info on my website in hopes my students will care...so far no luck there, but hey, maybe someone here will.

Currently reading: Yaman Tilki by Road Dahl (translated by Gönül Çapan -- that's Fantastic Mr. Fox in English, by the way, and my favorite Dahl book, possibly next to the The BFG)

The Last Three Books/Series I Read: Half-Sick of Shadows by David Logan (can't recommend that one, I don't get this current mania for plots that don't make sense and involve rape and incest and whatever...thus re-reading Fantastic Mr. Fox to get the taste out of my brain)

The Parasol Protectorate Series (Soulless, Changeless, Blameless, Heartless, Timeless) by Gail Carriger (AWESOME. Okay, maybe not going to win any prizes for literature, but fun, great reads, and smart enough to still be not boring by the fifth book)

Artemis Fowl and Artemis Fowl: the Arctic Incident by Eoin Colfer (two of my students are writing term papers on these books this semester, so I felt like I should read them...I know there's a lot of hype and they're quite popular, but really? Aeh. And I love YA/Fantasy/Science Fiction, so I'm not sure why I didn't like these more.)
  • mag131
    Options
    ooh! Nevermind..that's for all five parts of 'Wool'. Awesome!
  • jacobhyatt91
    jacobhyatt91 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Doctor Who- Shada
  • Sjenny5891
    Sjenny5891 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    David Weber.... Honor Harrington series
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    The piercing bible
    Grimms fairytales
    The Divine Comedy Collection
    The New Encyclopedia of Modern Bodybuilding
  • mag131
    Options
    I'm currently reading Redfield Farm by Judith Redline Coopey
  • crazybookworm
    crazybookworm Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    I'm a bit of an oddball. I'm currently reading Zombies, a collection of zombie short stories, and rereading Jane Eyre. I like a bit of variety I suppose.

I am the same way! Currently reading World War Z, Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone and The Beginning of Everything(A Young adult) all at the same.

I love variety!
  • matchbox_girl
    matchbox_girl Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Stephen King's A Memoir of Writing. One of my favorites.
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    I have just finished reading "Born to Run" - best damn book I have ever read, ever!

I am now reading "running with the Kenyans" - love it!
  • Lonestar5775
    Lonestar5775 Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    Just finished "Persuader" and "Wanted Man" both by Lee Child and listening to "Merry Christmas Alex Cross". I drive a long distance to my job so most books I listen to.
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options
    I'm reading "Battle Royale" by Koushun Takami. It's not an easy read, but is absolutely fantastic.
  • sars_68
    sars_68 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I loved the book 'Before I Go to Sleep' by SJ Watson! Very good. :smile:
  • Nikusz
    Nikusz Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Joe Abercombie - The Last Argument of Kings (last part of the trilogy)
    Mary Roach - Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers & Gulp: Adventures on the Alimentary Canal
    Timothy A. Caulfield - The Cure for Everything: Untangling Twisted Messages about Health, Fitness, and Happiness