Confused

Options
So im 5ft7 my starting weight was 75kg. I'm down to about 71 so going strong.
I work out or go on loooong walks pretty much everyday.
The MFP app set me at 1412 kcal a day. I obviously adjust my intake to make up for working out. But honestly I feel like it's pretty brutal. I'm dizzy alot. And I even fainted a few days back. I've checked I've put all my details in correct and thats the right sort of calorie goal for me. I do want to gain some muscle so I'm really strict with meeting my protein goals. Idk im just confused. I'm happy im loosing weight but I don't feel my best rn.
Tagged:

Replies

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,237 Member
    Options
    What weight loss rate did you select? And how fast are you losing in reality?
    You may need to select a slower rate of loss. You also need to take into account that MFP gives you a number based on population averages, and perhaps you are not average and require more calories.

Fainting and feeling dizzy are red flags for me: possibly from a low calorie intake and/or low sodium intake.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    edited May 2023
    Options
    Another vote for a slower rate of loss. At 5'7" and 156 pounds, you are within the healthy BMI range, so further loss will and should be slow.

9kjwnia17qv9.jpg
    I arbitrarily made you 30 years old, put in the rest of your stats, and got 1610 calories (before exercise calories) in order to lose .25 kg per week. https://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/change-goals-guided

Like the PP said, you may also need more calories than the general population.

Try eating more and if that doesn't resolve the dizziness quickly, reach out to your doctor.
  • herringboxes
    herringboxes Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Any possibility you’re having a blood sugar problem? I felt weak and woozy when calorie restricting while still on the blood sugar roller coaster and made no progress. I kicked sweets and soon was able to maintain a calorie deficit while feeling strong and steady all day. I hope you figure out the cause and solution to your particular problem.
  • westrich20940
    westrich20940 Posts: 889 Member
    Options
    Using a TDEE calculator (and 'sedentary' since you are using MFP to log workouts, unless you have an active job)...your maintenance level calories are ~1800 (this might change a bit for your age since I don't know that).

Your BMR is ~1500.

So...what rate of weight loss did you choose when setting up MFP? .5lb, 1lb, 1.5lb, or 2lbs/week?

A TDEE calculator is also gonna be slightly different from the calculation that MFP does but they are just estimates anyway.

Feeling faint/dizzy can be more than one thing: undereating is definitely one of them...but over-exercising can be too...what activities are you doing? Could be low sugar...does it seem like you get tunnel vision or feel nauseated at those times? See if eating some sugar (15 grams of simple sugar if you can) makes you feel better within a couple minutes. Could be poor electrolyte balance...what color is your urine usually?

Either way, seems it *could be that you are undereating...but as someone else already said, you don't have much to lose, so your deficit *should be quite small and weight loss should be quite slow.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    This could be a number of things and possibly something that you should get with your Dr. on if you're passing out.

Undereating and not consuming sufficient calories can be one

Over exercising for your current fitness level can be one

low blood sugar can be one

If you're on blood pressure meds and your blood pressure goes down due to weight loss and regular exercise and meds haven't been adjusted accordingly, this can be one.

A drop in blood pressure in general can be one.

As has been mentioned, you are at a normal, healthy weight...so you shouldn't be losing weight at a rapid rate.

Frankly, if I was passing out I'd be seeing my Dr.
  • simonshott
    simonshott Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I’m not a pro but if I’m in your position I would be trying to find the break even daily calories. i.e. if I eat 1800 calories per day for a week and my weight does not change by more than 0.5kg then i know all I have to do is be under 1800 per day on average to lose weight over time.
    It shouldn’t be a race to lose as much weight as fast as possible but rather lose a small amount of weight on a regular basis.
    When you get to your goal weight you can then maintain you weight at the break even point. (Note that if you start training strength you will increase weight and so you should measure by how you look/feel or clothes fitting rather than using the scales).
    As for fatigue/ dizziness if it is due to lack of calorie intake then definitely increase it until you find the happy medium between gradual consistent weight loss vs feeling strong enough to do your exercises and live your life.
    Be great to see how it works out for you however you go about it :)