Gluten Free, bc the IgE

Options
Ella_Minnowpea
Ella_Minnowpea Posts: 9 Member
TL;DR: What are your favorite GF meals that don’t necessarily rely on the processed replacement foods?

I couldn’t think of a decent title, lol. As of my daughter’s doctor’s appointment yesterday, she is to go on a GF diet for the next 4-6 weeks. Given our budget, this means we’re all going GF. I’m already overwhelmed at the prospect. I know we don’t have to go nuts buying all of the GF replacement foods. I plan to stick mostly to clean proteins, fruits, and veggies with some kind of grain and the occasional GF thing. Thank you for any feedback! Hope everyone has a good day.

Replies

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    You mention grains, but that's pretty much what you should avoid (wheat, rye, barley, with a quick Google) 🙂

Regular home-cooked meals are pretty easily gluten-free. Meat, vegetables, legumes, potatoes, rice, and lesser known quinoa, millet, amaranth.
    Breakfast: fruit, oats, dairy, eggs, vegetables...

Just check the labeling for the possibility of cross-contamination though.
  • lesdarts180
    lesdarts180 Posts: 2,712 Member
    edited May 2023
    Options
    My granddaughter is coeliac so totally g/f. As @Lietchi says, you will have to avoid most grains, but the main thing is to read the labels very carefully. You will find gluten everywhere - salad dressings (avoid malt vinegar because it's made from barley) - soy sauce, stock cubes, even potato crisps* often include vinegar in the flavouring.
    Straightforward meat and potatoes are going to be your friends - make sure you use gf flour if you make gravy.

*We call them crisps here in the UK - I think you call them chips?

And if you do eat out and want to have chips (fries) make sure they are not cooked in the same oil that has had breaded items cooked in it.

I could go on but perhaps your situation isn't as serious as ours.
  • sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    TL;DR: What are your favorite GF meals that don’t necessarily rely on the processed replacement foods?

I couldn’t think of a decent title, lol. As of my daughter’s doctor’s appointment yesterday, she is to go on a GF diet for the next 4-6 weeks. Given our budget, this means we’re all going GF. I’m already overwhelmed at the prospect. I know we don’t have to go nuts buying all of the GF replacement foods. I plan to stick mostly to clean proteins, fruits, and veggies with some kind of grain and the occasional GF thing. Thank you for any feedback! Hope everyone has a good day.

Rice and potatoes are my biggest staples. Both very cheap. Millet is also really good. Then just add whatever meat and veg you feel like. Boom. Done.
  • sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    Lunches could be tricky while she's in school, if she is. Buy some gluten free bread or wraps and throw some deli meat in it. But really, that's the only "replacement" I find I need that makes life simpler. Wraps will be cheaper than the bread. GFree bread is stupid expensive. Oh, salads would work for lunch too (just no croutons and check whatever dressings you're thinking of doing)