Vegan low calorie high protein foods

Options
MissB_16
MissB_16 Posts: 1 Member
I am finding it hard to consume enough protein without blowing calories and fat content. (It’s incredible how much fat there is in food like a homemade vinaigrette, an avocado, nut butter, etc).

I would love to know your favourite low calorie, high protein foods and recipes!

Replies

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    It's really hard to do high protein when eating vegan, but that's fine. Stuff like greens, tofu and tempeh and seitan, beans, and nuts are your highest protein vegan options, but you can get enough protein doing vegan even without driving yourself crazy. I would ignore any fat content (it's generally good fat, who cares) restrictions and any carb limits unless you have a reason to limit carbs (I would try to focus on more nutrient dense carbs overall without being overly restrictive).

What are you considering "enough" protein and your cal and fat limits?
  • joliver2509
    joliver2509 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Vegan protien powder in a smoothie.
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Chickens that were only fed a vegan diet 😉
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,154 Member
    Options
    Below are a few things I like to make. I don't have actual recipes because I don't use recipes very often for things that I think of as not having structural ingredients. Instead, I just cook, but there are patterns I use fairly often. That said, these are fairly specific examples.

* Black bean and sweet potato soft tacos in Ezekiel tortilla (microwaved or frozen sweet potato works, plus canned beans). Sweet corn is tasty in there, but does add some calories.
    * Ezekiel tortilla or pita with smoked tofu (packaged), thin-sliced sweet onion, mustard, and sauerkraut. (I add reduced-fat cheese, since I'm merely vegetarian, but that's optional or you could sub vegan cheese).
    * Edamame/mung fettucine or black bean spaghetti with cooked frozen green peas, minced raw onions, and a sauce made from peanut butter powder mixed either soy sauce or chili sauce/sriracha (use a brand without fish - sauce if you're strictly plant-based) - may need to thin with water or a light-flavored vinegar to get mixable consistency. This actually works with any veggies, but I like that combo.
    * Red or green lentil pasta with plenty of sauteed mushrooms (can use frozen Asian mushrooms) or nutritional yeast + peas/beans, or tomato sauce with a sprinkle of nutritional yeast.
    * Lately, I'm liking a salad made with broiled/grilled romaine lettuce (halve or quarter the head, mist lightly with oil, then broil or grill watching carefully so it's just lightly charred), topped with other veggies of choice, whatever dressing you like, and dry-roasted soybeans on top for protein.