Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Set Point Theory

Options
2»

Replies

• ddsb1111
    ddsb1111 Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    ddsb1111 wrote: »
    As I see it the original article was really just talking about homeostasis, whether physically, hormonally, or psychologically. I actually appreciated how the author encouraged using a doctor, psychologist, and dietitian to reach goals and learn maintenance. I think where it gets twisted is when magazines and fitness gurus get their hands on terms and bend them for financial gain. Seeing articles like the second 😒 so annoying. They should know and do better than echo myths that keep people feeling defeated or rationalizing their choices.

I guess what surprised me is that the terms “set point” and “settling point” are actual terms that CAN make sense. Just not the way I expected.

Maybe just "meeting people where they live", i.e., using the common terminology as a way to get into what the underlying mechanism is? It'd be a step up from clickbait if so, but maybe in the same neighborhood. ;)

Ha! Touché
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,995 Member
    Options
    Set point isn't staying at a particular weight regardless of the calorie input and don't know where you got that idea, otherwise people would never lose or gain weight, it's about the body recovering to where is feels is the best place based on the individual traits for a particular person for a homeostasis the body feels it performs it's best.

Well, actually it is very similar to the oft espoused idea that one can't go below a certain weight regardless of calorie intake because the body reaches its 'set point'

Which real life situations of low calorie intake don't bear out.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    edited May 2023
    Options
    People in famines and in POW camps kept losing weight as their calories decreased.

How come set point didn't keep them at their prior weights?
    Set point isn't staying at a particular weight regardless of the calorie input and don't know where you got that idea,
    I took her point to be arguing AGAINST that idea, which is something seen here on MFP, perhaps not so much these days, and on social media.
    otherwise people would never lose or gain weight,
    Yes, that's her point about famines/POWs.
    it's about the body recovering to where is feels is the best place based on the individual traits for a particular person for a homeostasis the body feels it performs it's best.

Like I said, I haven't researched set point specifically, but I think it's much like a thermostat that will and can have minor adjustment based on certain criteria, but to stray too far off will be challenging. I suspect those starving people and concentration camp survivors more than likely went back to close to the weight they were.

Can I get down to 6 or 8% body fat without starving myself, sure but that is very hard work based on a grueling schedule that will probably take 1 or 2 years to achieve and if I stop or don't maintain that regime, I'll start to put weight (fat) back on, which I've experienced. Can we adapt to a new set point would probably be on my more important check list when researching though. Cheers

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,923 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    People in famines and in POW camps kept losing weight as their calories decreased.

How come set point didn't keep them at their prior weights?
    Set point isn't staying at a particular weight regardless of the calorie input and don't know where you got that idea,
    I took her point to be arguing AGAINST that idea, which is something seen here on MFP, perhaps not so much these days, and on social media.
    otherwise people would never lose or gain weight,
    Yes, that's her point about famines/POWs.
    it's about the body recovering to where is feels is the best place based on the individual traits for a particular person for a homeostasis the body feels it performs it's best.

Like I said, I haven't researched set point specifically, but I think it's much like a thermostat that will and can have minor adjustment based on certain criteria, but to stray too far off will be challenging. I suspect those starving people and concentration camp survivors more than likely went back to close to the weight they were.

Can I get down to 6 or 8% body fat without starving myself, sure but that is very hard work based on a grueling schedule that will probably take 1 or 2 years to achieve and if I stop or don't maintain that regime, I'll start to put weight (fat) back on, which I've experienced. Can we adapt to a new set point would probably be on my more important check list when researching though. Cheers

Which idea? that POW's shouldn't have lost weight because of set point?
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,995 Member
    Options
    Yes, my point was that POWs and people in famines would not have lost weight like they did if set point meant their body stopped losing at a set point.

I thought my post was clear on saying that. :*