Cholesterol

Options
Hi all, I’m constantly over my nutrition goal in this due to eggs. What should I do?

Replies

• sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    There was actually a recent comment thread on this. Honestly, I wouldn't worry much about dietary cholesterol. I would be much more concerned about saturated fat. Study after study after study shows that saturated fat, not dietary cholesterol, is the leading cause of cardiovascular disease.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,122 Member
    Options
    Dietary cholesterol has very little affect on blood cholesterol. Don't worry about it.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,962 Member
    Options
    There was actually a recent comment thread on this. Honestly, I wouldn't worry much about dietary cholesterol. I would be much more concerned about saturated fat. Study after study after study shows that saturated fat, not dietary cholesterol, is the leading cause of cardiovascular disease.

Well...may be a dietary cause.

Obesity and inactivity are huge factors, maybe more so than sat fat. Not sure.

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,925 Member
    edited May 2023
    Options

Yeah, there is no 1 study that shows saturated fat causes heart disease and there never will be, too expensive but people seem to believe there is, it's all observational, like, look, those people are really sick and they eat a lot of saturated fat. Actually people are eating a lot less over the last 40 years as well as a 30% reduction in beef consumption.

In my opinion, it's not really obesity that is a main driver of heart disease, it's ultra processed food intake at the high levels that we see in the American diet that drives obesity and diabetes for example which result in heart disease and of course being sedentary doesn't help. It's the same problem again, blaming the symptom which is obesity instead of the cause, which is overeating and creating the inflammatory environment where heart disease and just about every other disease begins or is encouraged. imo Cheers
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,962 Member
    Options
    Thx neanderthin. I didn't feel like typing all those words. :wink:
  • neanderthin
    Options
    My pleasure. :)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    kkecriss wrote: »
    Hi all, I’m constantly over my nutrition goal in this due to eggs. What should I do?

Not really a concern. Dietary cholesterol doesn't have much impact on blood serum levels. Our bodies make cholesterol (liver)...when you consume more dietary cholesterol your liver makes less...when you consume less dietary cholesterol your liver makes more. If you're concerned about blood serum levels, your best bet is to lose some weight (if you're overweight) and be more physically active. As diet goes, focus on whole foods/minimally processed foods and eat substantially less highly processed food goods.
  • sollyn23l2
    Options

Yeah, there is no 1 study that shows saturated fat causes heart disease and there never will be, too expensive but people seem to believe there is, it's all observational, like, look, those people are really sick and they eat a lot of saturated fat. Actually people are eating a lot less over the last 40 years as well as a 30% reduction in beef consumption.

In my opinion, it's not really obesity that is a main driver of heart disease, it's ultra processed food intake at the high levels that we see in the American diet that drives obesity and diabetes for example which result in heart disease and of course being sedentary doesn't help. It's the same problem again, blaming the symptom which is obesity instead of the cause, which is overeating and creating the inflammatory environment where heart disease and just about every other disease begins or is encouraged. imo Cheers

No study? Are you sure? That's a pretty big, not to mention untrue, claim. It's true that fat in general isn't all bad. Poly and mono unsaturated fats are beneficial. But saturated fat is a problem. And yes, they've shown it in studies. Very clearly. Know how they give chimps clogged arteries to prepare for their studies? Feed them pure saturated fat. In fact, it takes about 14% of their calories coming from saturated fat to do it. You won't be convinced by that, but don't straight up lie and say there are no studies. Come on.
  • neanderthin
    Options
    sollyn23l2 wrote: »

No study? Are you sure? That's a pretty big, not to mention untrue, claim. It's true that fat in general isn't all bad. Poly and mono unsaturated fats are beneficial. But saturated fat is a problem. And yes, they've shown it in studies. Very clearly. Know how they give chimps clogged arteries to prepare for their studies? Feed them pure saturated fat. In fact, it takes about 14% of their calories coming from saturated fat to do it. You won't be convinced by that, but don't straight up lie and say there are no studies. Come on.

I see that made your brain fall out and reacted by actually called me a liar. You say there's lots of studies, maybe just link 1 that shows saturated fat is the cause of heart disease. Cheers
  • sollyn23l2
    Options

I see that made your brain fall out and reacted by actually called me a liar. You say there's lots of studies, maybe just link 1 that shows saturated fat is the cause of heart disease. Cheers

https://www.science.org/doi/10.1126/science.aba3683
  • sollyn23l2
    Options

https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/2016/12/19/saturated-fat-regardless-of-type-found-linked-with-increased-heart-disease-risk/
  • neanderthin
    Options
    The first study is about TMAO in mice from a high fat diet on their microbiota and the conclusion was "whether this pathway plays a role in heart disease remains unclear".

Your second link is observational gleaned from (FFQ) food frequency questionnaires.
  • sollyn23l2
    Options
    The first study is about TMAO in mice from a high fat diet on their microbiota and the conclusion was "whether this pathway plays a role in heart disease remains unclear".

Your second link is observational gleaned from (FFQ) food frequency questionnaires.

You're allowed to disagree, I simply stated don't say there have been no studies done. Rather, you disagree with the studies that have been done or find them unconvincing.
  • neanderthin
    Options
    Well, I'm not surprised you find these convincing. Cheers
  • DFW_Tom
    DFW_Tom Posts: 218 Member
    edited May 2023
    Options
    From a study out of China last Fall, based on circulating saturated fatty acids as opposed to food questionnaires:

"Saturated fatty acid biomarkers and risk of cardiometabolic diseases: A meta-analysis of prospective studies"
    https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fnut.2022.963471/full
    Our meta-analysis of existing prospective studies indicated that a higher concentration of total SFAs and even-chain SFAs was associated with an increasing risk of cardiometabolic diseases, which supported the current recommendations of reducing intake of saturated fat as part of healthy dietary patterns. In addition, our finding of protective effects of odd-chain SFAs has potentially important clinical implications for preventing cardiometabolic diseases. Further studies are apparently needed to confirm our findings on these SFAs in relation to cardiometabolic outcomes and to elucidate underlying mechanisms.

• neanderthin
    Options
    DFW_Tom wrote: »
    From a study out of China last Fall, based on circulating saturated fatty acids as opposed to food questionnaires:

"Saturated fatty acid biomarkers and risk of cardiometabolic diseases: A meta-analysis of prospective studies"
    https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fnut.2022.963471/full
    Our meta-analysis of existing prospective studies indicated that a higher concentration of total SFAs and even-chain SFAs was associated with an increasing risk of cardiometabolic diseases, which supported the current recommendations of reducing intake of saturated fat as part of healthy dietary patterns. In addition, our finding of protective effects of odd-chain SFAs has potentially important clinical implications for preventing cardiometabolic diseases. Further studies are apparently needed to confirm our findings on these SFAs in relation to cardiometabolic outcomes and to elucidate underlying mechanisms.

Thanks Tom. I'm familiar with this study. Prospective studies are basically longitudinal studies that follow and observe a cohort over a set period of time, gather data and then analyze it. Observational studies like this one can never prove causality only correlation, much like the previous person that provided their link. The problem I have is I don't like the way the question is phrased. Saturated fat is the cause of heart disease, really what does that even mean?

This is part of the conclusion from your link.

Essential to the interpretation of the results from these trials (and the reason for the divergent results in meta-analyses noted above) is the macronutrient composition of the comparator diet. Clinical trials that used polyunsaturated fat to replace saturated fat reduced the incidence of CVD.9,10 In contrast, trials that used mainly carbohydrates to replace saturated fat did not reduce CVD. However, the types of carbohydrate-containing foods were often unspecified and typically included sugar and other refined carbohydrates to maintain energy balance. Evidence from prospective observational studies indicates that carbohydrates from whole grains reduce CVD when they replace saturated fat.

Basically if your replacing saturated fat in the diet they conclude, don't use refined carbs and sugar because it won't reduce risk and can raise risk, but if we use whole grain it reduce risks. Therefore is it saturated fat that increases risk or is it the removal of refined carbs and sugar that reduces risk, that question was never asked in the "asbstract" but it could have and in that respect, where's the cohort that consumes a whole food diet which includes saturated fat, well it's right here. A diet where the focus is on whole grains and whole food in general that includes saturated fat is associated with less cardiovascular disease, simple answer to a simple question.

I don't have this belief that we can eat any food with abandon and not expect there might be consequences, and obviously the SAD diet is a good opportunity to understand that in real time, but the focus and witch hunt needs to stop with saturated fat and focus more on the real issues like ultra processed foods, which imo is a big driver of poor health and how we do that, I have no idea. Yummy food tastes yummy and yummy normally wins, it's a stacked deck. Cheers

• DFW_Tom
    DFW_Tom Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    While I completely agree with your statement, "... focus more on the real issues like ultra processed foods, which imo is a big driver of poor health ...", I will still be staying away from things like palm oil - just in case.
  • neanderthin
    Options
    DFW_Tom wrote: »
    While I completely agree with your statement, "... focus more on the real issues like ultra processed foods, which imo is a big driver of poor health ...", I will still be staying away from things like palm oil - just in case.

That's cool, palm oil certainly has some baggage attached for sure. Personally I stay way from refined seed oils high in omega 6's. Cheers
  • Rockymountainflyer
    Rockymountainflyer Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I have had consistently high bad cholesterol. Looking at my food entries, I was eating chorizo, coconut milk and cashew cheese. I cut these out and have added oats. We'll see. Several doctors have told me that eggs do not cause this.
  • neanderthin
    edited May 2023
    Options
    I have had consistently high bad cholesterol. Looking at my food entries, I was eating chorizo, coconut milk and cashew cheese. I cut these out and have added oats. We'll see. Several doctors have told me that eggs do not cause this.

Fixing the increased incident of heart disease that you may or may not experience in your life is not dictated by reducing coconut milk or cashew cheese, or consuming the eggs doctors have been telling you and are now giving the red seal of approval, do you think they have any clue why that might be the case, no, more than likely not, it's just what they've been told to say and yes they are like the rest of us, human.

A physique where your not overweight, a lifestyle that includes daily increased energy from some kind of exercise, a diet that is predominantly whole foods, and guess what you can consume coconut milk and cashew cheese and feel that your not going to have a heart attack any time soon. Basically don't sweat the small stuff like cholesterol numbers that might be too high if the other major factors like weight, diabetes, high blood pressure, and diet are not addressed because if these aren't looked after first and foremost the lack of chorizo isn't going to factor into it very much or at all. imo. cheers.