😊😊I have had 8 weeks of My weight MAINTAINING SUCCESSFULLY!! How?

Options
Dianedoessmiles1
Dianedoessmiles1 Posts: 12,112 Member
edited June 2023 in Success Stories
WOOHOO on April 4th of this year, I decided it was time to go into maintenance!! I had at my heaviest weighed 288 lbs and have lost 117 lbs now at 171!!

I've lost an entire person!! IT did not happen overnight, nor quickly at all. At 288 lbs I was using a powerchair 97% of the time. In 2010 I joined a different site (which no longer exists) and started to lose weight. HOW??? The same way we do on MFP! I tracked my food and exercised, there was no magic pill to help me, and I didn't do surgery. I have a lot of health issues this was very slow going.

In time when that site closed we went looking for a different site. MFP thankfully fit what we were looking for!! We've been here since August of 2021!! We are coming on year 2!! We are very happy to be here!!

As with many though those 10 years I gained/lost/gained/lost.

After dieting for 13 years I was simply, tired of it. I had decided it was time to stop "dieting" and just enjoy life, but NOT GAIN!! It's so SCARY to stop years of what has come become a habit. Could I maintain my weight?

I belong to the 2023 Spring 5% Challenge which started on April 8th for our first weigh in. My weight was 171.2 it just ended today. My weight in today? 171.2!! Now it was not straightforward I am in congestive heart failure and more. With CHF you gain suddenly, (fluid around the heart) on week 2 I had GAINED 10 LBS!! But, with the meds regulated for this, the following week I was back to my normal weight. This is so new to me, but I had a TON of support thanks to the team I belong to on the 5% Challenge!!

They are celebrating WITH ME!!

f6hhr2mhepym.jpg

If would you like to have the tremendous support I do, please join us on the 2023 Summer 5% Challenge!!

What is the 2023 Summer 5% Challenge? Plz join and have fun as we lose 5% of our weight, improve our health and make new friends. Race to Fascinating Places for 8 Weeks. Now you can write your own success story! Have a chat or post questions in the Airport Lounge Discussion. Your friends are welcome too.

After you click on the link below please be sure to hit the JOIN button and JOIN a team below in the discussion feed.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/144897-2023-summer-5-community-team-plz-join-us

I have joined the 2023 Summer 5% Challenge where I will continue to work on being healthy. We exercise to our own ability and healthy habits. Here are the ones we will work on in this upcoming challenge.

d55f8gekjntd.png

Replies

• LindieMaeP
    LindieMaeP Posts: 4,426 Member
    Options
    @Dianedoessmiles1 I am glad you mentioned the ups and downs of loosing weight and that for some it is medically induced and not being lazy. Yes there will be hard days and easy days, but they go by fast and there are many many non scale victories that can be celebrated along the way. I hope folks will join up and enjoy the Summer5% challenge - you never know, you'll learn new information, and maybe new friends along the way as well. Thanks for your post, Linda
  • sugarfreesquirrel
    sugarfreesquirrel Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I don't understand the chart? what do the fourth and fifth columns mean?
  • Dianedoessmiles1
    Options

HI @sugarfreesquirrel ,, GREAT QUESTION!! TY TY TY TY The "LTGL" stands for Living The Good Life AKA working on healthy habits which are worked on each week. Having health habits helps us all to lose weight and have long term success which many "plans" neglect to teach members. Such as "buy a meal plan" types. They are great as long as one buys the plan, but what happens when they no longer buy the plan? One becomes often lost, but by learning and developing healthy habits over the 8 weeks (many members sign up for the following challenges) they become a part of our lives. I used to HATE HATE SUPER HATE drinking water, but I started to "only to help my team earn points (that makes way more sense after the first week or 2, our leaders are very happy to help every member along the way). Now? Water is the ONLY way I can quench my thirst! I never would of thought so. We also encourage exercise, at the pace our members join, I was so unhealthy when I first joined, and that was accepted.

I am happy to answer any questions regarding my progress and questions to do with the 5% Team.
  • sugarfreesquirrel
    sugarfreesquirrel Posts: 268 Member
    Options

HI @sugarfreesquirrel ,, GREAT QUESTION!! TY TY TY TY The "LTGL" stands for Living The Good Life AKA working on healthy habits which are worked on each week.

Oh right. What's freggles?
  • Dianedoessmiles1
    Options

HI @sugarfreesquirrel ,, GREAT QUESTION!! TY TY TY TY The "LTGL" stands for Living The Good Life AKA working on healthy habits which are worked on each week.

Oh right. What's freggles?

Oh I didn't understand that at first either! It's FRuits/vEGGIES combined into one word. ,Many do not eat enough. Also many are upset they may tend to grab unhealthy snacks.

I myself do have a small bit of eating junk food daily, but I stay in my calorie range. I never used to eat anything healthy. It's been an eyeopener and I've changed through the years. I do feel better in so many ways.
  • DNjoys
    DNjoys Posts: 7,342 Member
    Options
    We're so proud of you Diane! You have been persistent and persevered through so many health challenges.

I've been a part of the 5% challenges for years. They help me keep weight loss on the front burner and even when I gain, it's less than I would have if I'd not participated. I'm daily aware of the exercise I'm getting and what I'm eating. Most seasons I lose something, and there have been a few times I almost made my 5% - needed a few more weeks and reached it between challenges.

One of the things I love about the 5% is there's something for everyone. Those who are gung ho, at maintenance, or well on their way to their goal, those who have health issues and need to move slower, those recovering from surgery who use pt as their exercise time or get creative with chair exercises or stretching... we all can participate from where we're at with support to move farther along in our journey toward better health and fitness.
  • Dianedoessmiles1
    Options
    DNjoys wrote: »
    We're so proud of you Diane! You have been persistent and persevered through so many health challenges.

I've been a part of the 5% challenges for years. They help me keep weight loss on the front burner and even when I gain, it's less than I would have if I'd not participated. I'm daily aware of the exercise I'm getting and what I'm eating. Most seasons I lose something, and there have been a few times I almost made my 5% - needed a few more weeks and reached it between challenges.

One of the things I love about the 5% is there's something for everyone. Those who are gung ho, at maintenance, or well on their way to their goal, those who have health issues and need to move slower, those recovering from surgery who use pt as their exercise time or get creative with chair exercises or stretching... we all can participate from where we're at with support to move farther along in our journey toward better health and fitness.

TY TY TY Dee!! We've watched you go through so much and yet, you are making progress!! The work you do is helping us all to know we can do this also!!
  • peppikaye
    peppikaye Posts: 4,509 Member
    Options
    @Dianedoessmiles1 - Diane you are an inspiration to all of us. You've shown us, no matter what, its all possible. It doesn't matter how slow you go as long as you don't stop.
    bzhz00j37ejb.jpg
  • nbruns83
    nbruns83 Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    Hi, I've been a part of these challenges for about 5 years. I'm dealing with the challenges of "maturity." I can no longer eat anything and everything the way I could for most of my life. (Thanks, Daddy, for the great genetics, but...)

I've made some great fitness friends during these challenges, and I know that the accountability I feel being on a team gets me out the door to exercise when it would be easier to "blow it off."

I'm sure many of you would find these challenges as beneficial as I have. I come back every season.

Join us for this summer's challenge.
  • PaulaKNW
    PaulaKNW Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    Being a member of the 5% challenges has certainly been helpful for me. I learn something new every time with the Living the Good Life daily goals. Not only that, participating here is fun, too. Being a member of a team and earning daily points for the team helps me stay on track and do more than I would normally do if just left on my own. I credit this challenge (I've been doing them for several years) for helping me maintain my healthy habits and weight loss. I'm not always perfect...lol, but I'm better than I would be left to my own devices.

Your story is inspirational! Thanks so much for posting!
  • CSEGUIN2
    CSEGUIN2 Posts: 5,647 Member
    Options
    I am so glad to be able to be a part of these challenges. I can't remember how many I have done LoL. I have definitely had my ups and downs along the way but have always had the support of the members to never give up.
  • losemicaroline
    losemicaroline Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    Diane, you are an inspiration!

I have been participating in the 5% challenges for one year now. I have lost some weight, developed a daily exercise habit, and met a fantastic group of supportive people. I am happy to have found this group and recommend it to others.

Carol
  • bevpresley1
    bevpresley1 Posts: 5,298 Member
    Options
    You are a wonderful inspiration. It is so very important to have support, especially in the hard times.
  • Dianedoessmiles1
    Options
    @peppikaye ,,, Indeed and you've shown us so much also!! TY TY TY for stepping up to be a leader and being here!! The speed of success doesn't matter it's STILL success.
    @nbruns83 ,, Excellent job!! You brought out such a great point. I feel that also!!! Not wanting us to upset our team when we do not feel like exercising or working on the week's healthy habit, we still try hard. Of course, members are encouraged to take a rest day, or if one chooses to not "rest" to do something different for exercise, resting the muscles as much as they can they use the most. Great point!!
    @PaulaKNW ,, LOVE your post also!! The accountability to our teams helps to keep daily our goals in mind. Had you, like myself started, stopped, started to lose weight, stopped before a supportive site? One that encouraged you to keep going? When I joined the 5% I never stopped, it helped me to understand not losing for a bit, or eating something I wish I hadn't was OKAY!! And to keep on trying.
    @CSEGUIN2 ,,, SO HAPPY I've gotten to you better over the years!! We both have chatted on the main team on the chat, I became busier, but think of you all often. From time to time I pop in, but do not leave a message. You do amazing and have had quite some challenges, indeed you keep on going. WTG!!
    @losemicaroline ,, HOW cool!! We are delighted to have you with us!!! CONGRATS on your year 1!! That is fantastic!! May your 2nd year be just as fun, and successful. We didn't gain in a year (well most of us, my gain was over 15 years from 120 to 288! YO!) it's okay to go slow. Actually, when we go slow, it's been proven time and time again, we tend to keep it off easier. I never ever want to hit 180 again. CONGRATS AND WELCOME!
    @bevpresley1 ,, Oh Bev you have been through so much also!! You also set the way to help many on your team to see one get through all the bumps, the ups and downs (literally and figuratively) how to keep on going and not give up. TY TY TY TY also for your example!!!
  • Ceriusly1
    Ceriusly1 Posts: 5,749 Member
    Options
    @Dianedoessmiles1 MiLady Di, I love that you posted this! You are a great inspiration to all of us on the 5% challenge. I know other MFP members will also be inspired by your story!
  • Dianedoessmiles1
    Options
    @Dianedoessmiles1 MiLady Di, I love that you posted this! You are a great inspiration to all of us on the 5% challenge. I know other MFP members will also be inspired by your story!

@Ceriusly1 ,, Ceri working along side by side with you is amazing!! Your own journey has made many of us cry and rise above what we've personally have faced. You are one of the heroes who help make the 5% challenge rise above many other ones. Ceri leads with her very tender, kind heart. You too inspire us to never quit. It's my honor to be a co leader with amazing warriors. I seem to learn more and more each day. Thank You!
  • Sparkuvu
    Sparkuvu Posts: 2,575 Member
    Options
    Wonderful success, Diane!

I, too, came from the 'other' site---to follow the 5% challenge.

It's made a tremendous difference in my life. The accountability to my teammates has kept me doing ALL year, the things I vow to do in January. My first year on the 5% challenge was the first time that had EVER happened---and I'm old!

I invite the MFP community to try it out this summer, 6 weeks may change your outcome, too.
  • Catwmncat
    Catwmncat Posts: 6,796 Member
    Options
    Diane... You are such a positive role model for so many and we are so proud of how far you have come. Many of the health issues you have experienced would have sent most heading for the hills. Your Determination and Dedication to achieve better health is remarkable and inspires all that come to know your story.

In the past I was never able to maintain after losing for more than a month. I'd lose fast and furious (30-50lbs) then put it right back on even faster, always dragging along a few friends and managing to put back on more than I lost. The LTGL'S aka Healthy Habits, Comradery, Support, Motivation and Encouragement that is obtained through the 5% Challenges has helped me to stay within a 10lb range for the last 3 years after losing 65+lbs.

Thank you for sharing your story and for dragging me, kicking and screaming all the way, into the 5% Challenges.
  • Dianedoessmiles1
    Options
    Sparkuvu wrote: »
    Wonderful success, Diane!

I, too, came from the 'other' site---to follow the 5% challenge.

It's made a tremendous difference in my life. The accountability to my teammates has kept me doing ALL year, the things I vow to do in January. My first year on the 5% challenge was the first time that had EVER happened---and I'm old!

I invite the MFP community to try it out this summer, 6 weeks may change your outcome, too.

@Sparkuvu We are thrilled you've come over with us to MFP from the other site!! We love your success in an area many never carry through!! KEEPING on going!! The 8 week 5% challenge is tremendous! TY TY TY TY for adding your personal experience. Its fun having you with us!
  • PaulaKNW
    PaulaKNW Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    @Dianedoessmiles1 wrote:
    ( ,, LOVE your post also!! The accountability to our teams helps to keep daily our goals in mind. Had you, like myself started, stopped, started to lose weight, stopped before a supportive site? One that encouraged you to keep going? When I joined the 5% I never stopped, it helped me to understand not losing for a bit, or eating something I wish I hadn't was OKAY!! And to keep on trying).

Diane, I was a Weight Watcher's member for years, and had reached maintenance there several times, but the weight always came back. Even though it was a good nutritionally sound program, it seemed like they kept changing it up with gimmicky stuff that you had to re-learn the system. While still a WW member, I joined that "other site" thinking it would be a supplement to WW. Soon I realized that the other site was far more practical and straightforward and I loved their nutrition tracking. That's where I found the 5% challenges that added just that little extra something to keep me coming back every day and not slide too far back into those old bad habits. "Too far back" is the key phrase. I learned that I had to live my life and not let little setbacks derail me for days or weeks.

Then the other site closed and I thought that was it. I was really sad to lose the 5% challenges there, and the nutrition tracker I used daily. Instead we've landed here at MFP -- and now that I've gotten used to it in many ways I like just as much if not more. I love the nutrition tracker here at MFP!

So I would encourage anyone thinking about joining to give the 5% challenges a try. It might be just that little extra something that helps your plan come together! 😊
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!