Distance Covered

Options
How many Kilometers can you cover in 2hours

Replies

• spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,686 Member
    Options
    Walking or running or biking? Racing or training or hiking in the mountains?
  • laurachambers86
    laurachambers86 Posts: 152 Member
    edited June 2023
    Options
    If it's walking, I was once told (when I had to learn map-reading for a job) that the average person will cover 1k in 15-20 minutes, but this can also be dependent on the terrain. Steep hills or drops are going to significantly slow you down etc
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Depends...walking? running? biking...road or MTB? Flat or hilly? Mixed terrain or concrete? Groomed trail or natural?
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,735 Member
    Options
    If it's walking, I was once told (when I had to learn map-reading for a job) that the average person will cover 1k in 15-20 minutes, but this can also be dependent on the terrain. Steep hills or drops are going to significantly slow you down etc

Huh? That's like a casual amble, around 2-2.5mph. FWIW, Google Maps' default for walking speed looks like about 3mph, which would be about 4.8kph.

I can walk a bit above 4mph (6.4kph) if I focus, and I'm old and non-tall. But that's getting into what I think are the right questions here: What mode of transportation, and what kind of conditions, at what fitness level?
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Walking? With the dogs about 8 km, without 10.

Running? My best ever half marathon was 2:09 but at training pace around 16.
  • SuzanneC1l9zz
    SuzanneC1l9zz Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Also how tall are you? My 4'11" friend and her 6'4" husband will give you very different answers!

(yes, they look a bit comical together)
  • laurachambers86
    laurachambers86 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Huh? That's like a casual amble, around 2-2.5mph. FWIW, Google Maps' default for walking speed looks like about 3mph, which would be about 4.8kph.

I can walk a bit above 4mph (6.4kph) if I focus, and I'm old and non-tall. But that's getting into what I think are the right questions here: What mode of transportation, and what kind of conditions, at what fitness level?

Like I say, it was something I did when map-reading, those were the figures we were given but I've never used them in real life since! It was for orienteering with a bunch of teenagers so maybe they allowed extra time for them dawdling along lol.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,522 Member
    Options
    ~900 in a jet plane. :p
  • Ernest_Nigma
    Ernest_Nigma Posts: 68 Member
    edited June 2023
    Options
    Only about 240 knots in a Cessna 172, depending on winds.