100 day Challenge #16 – Saturday June 15 2023 to Friday September 22 2023

Options

Replies

• deepwoodslady
    deepwoodslady Posts: 11,256 Member
    Options

@Lilylady3k
    I have a small Amazon (FBA). I haven't checked yet to see if I sold more on Prime Day or not. Good finds for you!

@dawnbgethealthy What do you sell on Amazon?

I sell stainless steel straws in cute bags. I sell only in the USA. I do FBA (Fulfilled by Amazon) so my stuff is in warehouses in Michigan and Dallas. They look after the e-commerce part - taking the money etc. and the shipping and packing. They take 75%++ so I mostly just lose money with that venture lol. Steep learning curve to selling on Amazon.

I will see if I can find some photos...

mbkl46vhvs53.png

g7hoaf0n9m53.png

2prltmv6mv8k.png

85uwmrzbbk4g.png

Those are 4 of the 6

@dawnbgethealthy I would love to learn more about how to get into this. I need SOMETHING in retirement to busy myself. This could be interesting and a little fruitful too. Tell me how to find out more about getting products etc.
  • dawnbgethealthy
    dawnbgethealthy Posts: 7,657 Member
    Options
    @tinathescreamer

Wow, great progress, congrats!
  • dawnbgethealthy
    dawnbgethealthy Posts: 7,657 Member
    edited July 2023
    Options
    @deepwoodslady

Selling on Amazon is extremely complicated.
    Truth be told I have lost a great deal of money because I sort of didn't understand everything.
    Having said that, it can be done.

There are a gazillion videos on Youtube about how to get started, there is Amazon Seller University - many many modules.
    Do not sign up for a $2,000 course from any of the free Youtube videos. Waste of money when there is so much free information out there.

There are strict guidelines for the "primary" photo, not something that can be done at home because of the pixels, lighting, size in the frame required. There are companies that specialize in this, they have like dedicated boxes/booths that they use for Amazon sellers.
    After the primary photo I have found some excellent (and cheap) places to get more stylized photos done, you choose the setting and background, upload the photo to them and they create it.
    Like these seasonal ones that I got done which were $12-$15 each:

mb9ionm8fp54.png
    4xfjc57jp8w7.png

As for choosing and sourcing products, there are systems such as junglescout ($99 for the program) that show top sellers on Amazon, where to get them and what the top sellers are charging. I didn't use this, but I think that it would have helped. I would need a young person to navigate that.

Keywords are also important, and there are services such as Estorefactory to employ for giving you the important ones to include when setting up.

Advertising on Amazon proved to cost more "per click" to get a sale than the cost of the product, one of my costly mistakes. As of now I only advertise on Pinterest, where you can do it for $1 per day and have the link drive traffic straight to your product. Otherwise you may be millions down the list if someone types in "stainless steel straws" and nobody sees your product. Well, if you advertise with Amazon they would see it, but again, it could cost 3 times the price of the actual product to do it.

FBA is best, since packing, shipping, setting up a 5k-10k eCommerce site to collect money takes way too much time. Pick your products, have them shipped to an Amazon warehouse. Amazon guidelines are strict, so if you miss a step you have to start over.

This seems lengthy, but it is just the tip of the iceberg. Once you watch 1,000 hours of videos on how to do it and still feel like you want to I would be happy to share with you what I have learned.
  • Lilylady3k
    Lilylady3k Posts: 3,836 Member
    Options
    SUCCESS! After riding my indoors bike upstairs I actually didn't have to baby my knees walking down the stairs. Since returning from vacation in June I've been taking it slow and careful on the stairs ... one step at a time in case my knees gave out on me. TODAY I used just one foot on each step like a normal person. It felt so satisfying when I got to the bottom of my steep stairs.