Hi, looking to lower weight down below 80kg within 2 weeks

Options
Hi, I have some family and a set of nephews/nieces visiting in a couple of weeks and I want to look presentable.

I’m a 34 years old male, 183 cm tall, weighing 86.8kg and most of the fat is stored around my belly.

I have weak upper strength (I have never been able to do a single pull-up/chin-up before) and I am looking to get into shape without going to the gym (after getting intimidated from going to 4 different gyms when I was 16-32 years old).

I have an adjustable bench (with a barbell and 20kg of attachable weights), a 10kg sandbag, and exercise bike (and contemplating whether or not to get a rowing machine) installed in my room.

My daily diet as of 4 days ago consists of a combination of 3x 20g protein bars, 2x 200g skim milk w/ 2x Optislim Rapid Formula version, and a mix of Salmon with skin-on portions with black pepper sauce marinate/Chicken Drumsticks with custom marinate/or Chicken Noodle Soup accompanied with some greens.

And if I miss out on breakfast or lunch, I just take a packet of Optislim Rapid Formula with 200g of skim milk to register as my replacement meals, according to its contents on the description side.

In the past, I would eat anything affordable, including junk food but 5 days ago when I looked at my 89kg weigh-in, I felt very embarrassed and I was noticeably treated differently, with my weight tackled in to a joke every now and then which really affected my confidence.

I hope the trial and error use of the 1-month trial of MyFitnessPal can help me achieve my short-term goals.

Any help would be appreciated.

Replies

• rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,117 Member
    Options
    My tongue in cheek response in go back in time two months. More seriously, losing 9 kilos in two weeks is not a healthy way to lose weight. It is far more likely that if you actually lose that much that quickly, the larger percentage of it will be muscle not fat. I would say adjust your expectations and look further in the future rather that focusing doing all this in two weeks.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,164 Member
    Options
    I'm going to be brutally frank, because that's what elderly but caring internet aunties do. (I'm old enough, and experience-burned enough, to be your old auntie, for sure.) I promise I'm cheering for you to succeed, and will engage/reply to help you as best I can. (Bona fides: I got way active in my mid-40s, got fitter, stayed fat, lost weight a dozen years later and am wildly supportive of the benefits of both weight loss and fitness improvement.)

I'd suggest eating food, not "products" (bars, shakes, supplements) if possible. You're barely overweight (BMI 25.8, BMI 25 is the threshold of overweight). If you've quickly gone from 89 to 86.9kg, that's possibly extreme, although it's possible to see a quick scale drop (mostly water weight) up front on a new eating routine. (It's 2.1kg, 4.6 pounds, in - it seems? - a few days.)

There's nothing wrong with moderate workouts at home, for sure. All good.

But 6kg (13.2 pounds) in two weeks is an extreme, punitive, unsustainable goal, IMO. You can make reasonable improvements, but pursuing extremes for social/vanity reasons doesn't serve the interests of long-term health, honestly. If you're targeting fat loss (as most of us would wish to do), you'd need to eat around 3300 calories per day fewer than you burn, on average.

At your size/age, even if you have an active job (like construction labor), and do some sensible schedule of strength exercise, it's probable that you don't burn more than 3300 calories daily. So, for the next two weeks, to achieve your goal, you'd probably need to eat zero, and maybe add some more exercise. And then you'd probably some burn muscle, not just fat, because we generally can't metabolize body fat at that rate, especially if we're not severely obese (as you are not).

Does that seem like a good idea?

You will have seen a quick drop in water weight (and average digestive contents) up front when going to reduced calories. That won't continue. Your intended rate of loss is not healthy, and likely unachievable in any practical way.
  • Simp4Haato
    Simp4Haato Posts: 4 Member
    edited June 2023
    Options
    Thanks Aunties.

In response to Ann, I only weigh in after I expand as much water as I can and after going to the toilet to get rid of as much with as possible.

In my past diet, my bowels would only tell me to go to the toilet once every few days but after my sudden change in diet with meal replacements and bars, I’ve been going to the toilet to do number 2 more frequently and almost once a day like I’m told every human does (according to my parents).

But I’ve run out of protein bars (got them at 50% off) and I’m leaning towards getting salmon w/ skin on, and chicken breast meat from other sources as I feel that they are cheaper in the long run.

In the past around 3 months ago, I tried just eating one meal a day but that meal would be a large one and this went on for 1.5 weeks but I didn’t feel any better.

I believed back then that I wasn’t doing it correctly, and now I’m watching dozens of YouTubers to get an idea of what food I can acquire locally to sustain a healthy and happy lifestyle.

In regards to Lynn, I have a large family (8 uncles in my old man’s side) who are brutally honest about life and talking smack.

One of them went to the gym with me a few years ago and rudely embarrassed me in front of strangers saying I’m not focusing on training and just looking at the ladies and I’m not about that life.

I ended up going to the gym separately and then Covid restrictions hit and then I lost motivation.

I went to see a couple of therapists reflecting back on life if it’s worth it since I’m not in a position where I’m a normal human being living the amazing suburban life with a typical 9-5 job with a loving wife and kids that was force-fed into me growing up.

Life is bleak but I’m trying to see an opening to branch out and I’m working on myself for confidence reasons.

And now my body is aging badly and I’m trying to change things one step at a time.

Edited for spelling mistakes.
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    Simp4Haato wrote: »
    Thanks Aunties.

In response to Ann, I only weigh in after I expand as much water as I can and after going to the toilet to get rid of as much with as possible.

In my past diet, my bowels would only tell me to go to the toilet once every few days but after my sudden change in diet with meal replacements and bars, I’ve been going to the toilet to do number 2 more frequently and almost once a day like I’m told every human does (according to my parents).

But I’ve run out of protein bars (got them at 50% off) and I’m leaning towards getting salmon w/ skin on, and chicken breast meat from other sources as I feel that they are cheaper in the long run.

In the past around 3 months ago, I tried just eating one meal a day but that meal would be a large one and this went on for 1.5 weeks but I didn’t feel any better.

I believed back then that I wasn’t doing it correctly, and now I’m watching dozens of YouTubers to get an idea of what food I can acquire locally to sustain a healthy and happy lifestyle.

In regards to Lynn, I have a large family (8 uncles in my old man’s side) who are brutally honest about life and talking smack.

One of them went to the gym with me a few years ago and rudely embarrassed me in front of strangers saying I’m not focusing on training and just looking at the ladies and I’m not about that life.

I ended up going to the gym separately and then Covid restrictions hit and then I lost motivation.

I went to see a couple of therapists reflecting back on life if it’s worth it since I’m not in a position where I’m a normal human being living the amazing suburban life with a typical 9-5 job with a loving wife and kids that was force-fed into me growing up.

Life is bleak but I’m trying to see an opening to branch out and I’m working on myself for confidence reasons.

And now my body is aging badly and I’m trying to change things one step at a time.

Edited for spelling mistakes.

That can totally work. I'm cheering for you! Those kinds of changes have the potential to have a huge impact on your life, IME.

I didn't start being active until my late 40s, after cancer treatment. Not gonna lie, it took a couple of years of gradual progress, but I began working out regularly and even competing in a sport, something I had never, ever even thought was remotely possible, as one of those "chosen last in gym class" kids. Getting fitter was a huge quality of life improvement.

I wish I'd been smarter, but I stayed fat (class 1 obese) for another dozen years, despite being the semi-mythical pretty-fit fat person for most of those years. Finally I had to admit that if I wanted to be reasonably healthy, I needed to lose weight, so I did, at age 59-60. Another huge quality of life improvement, getting to a healthy weight!

Now I'm 67, and feel younger/stronger than I did at 45, and I can do physical things that my 45 year old self never would have dreamed would even be possible for me.

With patience and persistence, you can make progress. It may take some time, but if you keep at it, it will happen. And it will be worth it, I predict.
  • hodgson9966
    hodgson9966 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi, I have some family and a set of nephews/nieces visiting in a couple of weeks and I want to look presentable.

I’m a 34 years old male, 183 cm tall, weighing 86.8kg and most of the fat is stored around my belly.

I have weak upper strength (I have never been able to do a single pull-up/chin-up before) and I am looking to get into shape without going to the gym (after getting intimidated from going to 4 different gyms when I was 16-32 years old).

I have an adjustable bench (with a barbell and 20kg of attachable weights), a 10kg sandbag, and exercise bike (and contemplating whether or not to get a rowing machine) installed in my room.

My daily diet as of 4 days ago consists of a combination of 3x 20g protein bars, 2x 200g skim milk w/ 2x Optislim Rapid Formula version, and a mix of Salmon with skin-on portions with black pepper sauce marinate/Chicken Drumsticks with custom marinate/or Chicken Noodle Soup accompanied with some greens.

And if I miss out on breakfast or lunch, I just take a packet of Optislim Rapid Formula with 200g of skim milk to register as my replacement meals, according to its contents on the description side.

In the past, I would eat anything affordable, including junk food but 5 days ago when I looked at my 89kg weigh-in, I felt very embarrassed and I was noticeably treated differently, with my weight tackled in to a joke every now and then which really affected my confidence.

I hope the trial and error use of the 1-month trial of MyFitnessPal can help me achieve my short-term goals.

I am old enough to be your Granny!! and I agree with others. Stop the bars etc. Processed and full of sugar/carbs. Have a look at "The real meal Revolution" website and eat real food. There is no fast fix, but this way of eating will see you easily lose weight and not be hungry! High Fat, Moderate Protein and Low Carbs. Carbs make you gain weight, Fat does not make you FAT!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I think you need to take a step back..or two or three and realize that this is all a process, not an overnight thing...and you need to embrace the process. Nearly 15 Lbs weight loss in two weeks isn't particularly realistic, and even if you could do it, it wouldn't be healthy.

Put your focus on health and wellness...do healthy things (which includes eating properly and eating your requisite calories to lose weight at a healthy rate), exercise regularly (doesn't have to be, and shouldn't be all blood sweat and tears). Take care of your whole self and embrace the process.

This generally starts with baby steps in the right direction...being a little bit better today than you were yesterday rather than wholesale, flip the switch changes which usually fizzle out in short order. I'd start by focusing on better overall nutrition and ditching the bars and supplements...eat real food and maybe throw in a daily walk. Try to be even 1% better everyday...it seems insignificant, but those small increments add up in the long game. But none of this is going to realistically happen in two weeks.
  • AnnPT77
    edited June 2023
    Options

I am old enough to be your Granny!! and I agree with others. Stop the bars etc. Processed and full of sugar/carbs. Have a look at "The real meal Revolution" website and eat real food. There is no fast fix, but this way of eating will see you easily lose weight and not be hungry! High Fat, Moderate Protein and Low Carbs. Carbs make you gain weight, Fat does not make you FAT!

Yes, so-called whole foods tend to be more sating and nutritious. It's likely that most people will do better eating mostly what I think you mean by "real food". But:

Excess calories from any source make people gain fat. In a calorie surplus, the body will store fat intake as body fat before it stores carb intake as fat, because storing the fat requires less biochemical conversion, so is more efficient. Bodies favor being efficient in ways like that: It kept the human race going through a long sweep of history that had a lot of famines, and not many periods of plenty.

Some carb-containing foods have complex effects on appetite, satiation, and energy level for some people. Some people are already diabetic or insulin resistant. There may be reasons for some people to limit or manage carbs more strictly than others need to do.

Many higher-carb foods are very nutritious, things like sweet potatoes, beans and other legumes, fruits, whole grains, and more.

If carbs prevented managing body weight, I would still be obese, rather than happily maintaining a healthy body weight (low 130s pounds at 5'5") while eating 225g and more carbs most days (and a minimally adequate level of fats, 50g-ish) for 7+ years so far. Yes, it's mostly carbs from veggies, fruits, dairy, and some whole grains. But a little bit is from (gasp) added sugar.

Carbs are not inherently and universally demonic. If limiting them helps a person control appetite and manage energy level, that's great, and a high fat, moderate protein, and lower carb will possibly be beneficial, as may be somewhat more moderate fat, somewhat more generous protein, and lower carb. (The latter would actually result in trivially faster weight loss because of protein's higher TEF, but that's too small to be worth worrying about).

Within certain healthy boundaries, macro mix is individual, and each person can find the mix that best manages their appetite, satiation, and energy level.