Help - Ive been banned from Jogging and impact exercise

Replies

• WisiPls
    WisiPls Posts: 359
    try elliptical machine, very low impact, can still burn some cals
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    I don't run either, and it hasn't been a problem for staying in shape. I walk, bike, swim, dance, climb, cross country ski, snowshoe, lift weights, and use an elliptical trainer or stationary bike if I'm at the gym.
  • ItsPheebs
    ItsPheebs Posts: 127 Member
  • Breizier
    Breizier Posts: 221 Member
    I have to admit that I wondered if the pounding my joints were taking from the star jumps skipping etc in the 30DS were the straw that broke the camels back. I now have better (as in proper) running shoes - used only twice and have thought to go back to the parkrun to see how I feel.

Because otherwise, from your descriptions, it seems the consultant has more or less banned you from even walking?!

No, he has suggested elliptical and stationary bike. Things with smooth action nothing that pounds and jerks the joints. But that is so uninspiring.

I am looking at stripping back to what I did when I first started to exercise, which was daily walks and the run on Saturday and forgetting about trying to add more in.
  • Just_Scott
    Just_Scott Posts: 1,766 Member
    S-W-I-M-M-I-N-G
  • acidosaur
    acidosaur Posts: 295 Member
    swimming is great, this is what I did for a while when I twisted my ankle.

you could also try rowing machines which give a good workout if you really go for it (although I find them v boring, maybe listen to an audio book or something!)
  • SailerSiren13
    SailerSiren13 Posts: 51 Member
    Zumba can be good. It is what you make of it as far as impact. It may take a couple of different classes with different instructors but i have known many older women with health issues that love it and it has helped them immensely. :smile:
  • xRiverX
    xRiverX Posts: 149 Member
    swimming
    Pilates
    calisthenics
    martial arts-kung fu/karate
    boxercise
    gym ball

im sure theres more just cant seem to think.

good luck even though i know its not luck :)
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    if you have access to a swimming pool, i can throughly recommend aqua walking or aqua running
  • kkerri
    kkerri Posts: 276 Member
    I have a hard time with the impact from walking.

I do a recumbent bike.
  • WhoDat5o4
    WhoDat5o4 Posts: 50 Member
    I broke my ankle in the tough mudder race (please don't do it, the obstacles are shotty and many people get injured. Its not tough it's stupid!) Anyhow, swimming has kept me sane as I recover. If possible, you may even want to try open water swimming, and/or look for swim groups in your area. Great low impact exercise and my endurance has never been better. Good luck!
  • lithezebra
    Some exercise is fun, and sometimes you have to work to make it more fun. I'm not crazy about the stationary bike, but I read a book on it. Likewise, the elliptical trainer is dull, but I have a playlist of music that transports me. I genuinely enjoy walking, biking, swimming, skiing, climbing, kayaking, and just about any kind of exercise that can be done outdoors. Dancing isn't even exercise to me, even though it's exercise, and you can do it with other people. Yoga is another one of my favorite things.
  • kkerri
    kkerri Posts: 276 Member
    A recumbent bike is stationary.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,864 Member
    I'm very joint injury prone but have always been active with cardio since I had to quit running years ago.

Try the elliptical, stationary or road bike, swimming or water aerobics, rowing machine or real rowing, roller blading or ice skating, cross country skiing or the equivalent norditrack machine, a low impact aerobics class. And if you don't have access to the equipment or classes, just walking/hiking is pretty good too.

And work in the weight room on quad extensions to stabilize the knee, and do pilates style exercises for core strength to stabilize the hip area.
  • lithezebra
    A recumbent bike is stationary.

I use one when I want to read a book without being sedentary.
  • lithezebra
    Sometimes walks are more entertaining if you have a goal, like getting a coffee, or running errands.
  • Breizier
    Breizier Posts: 221 Member
    Kickbike... You can do the same round in you park, but with a lot less impact on you joints (even less as walking). And you can do this very slow (lite)...

I love it :)

http://kickbike.com/

That looks amazing. I ve not seen those before. Worth looking into. Thank you
  • wanderingarcher
    wanderingarcher Posts: 694 Member
    I know others who found the 30DS to simply be too hard on their shins and had severe pain from it. I'm no expert, but it's not the first I heard of it. I don't know that would mean you couldn't run. Maybe rest from your running and let your legs heal and try again.

(I agree to get a second opinion.)

That said, I also have to avoid running/jumping workouts right now due to the possibility of prolapse after having 7 babies. This was really hard, because I love running. I also get really bored easily. I do a lot of switching up through the week. I can do a small amount of jumping, just not sustained bouncing movements for long periods of time.

I use Tae Bo, Crunch Fat-Burning Pilates, kettle bell routines, free weight routines, and I just got Rockin' Body from Beachbody to throw in the mix, plus walking back our farm lane. I also LOVE swimming, but don't get regular access to a pool.

I like having so many things to choose from. I also think it keeps me improving in fitness in a different way, because of the variety challenging my body in different ways.

It's possible, just takes working through the disappointment and finding what works for you.
  • KiwiJewels
    KiwiJewels Posts: 36 Member
    I suck at swimming, and gyms bore me rigid as well, so while I do join gyms, I only ever do their group fitness classes. For me there is something about having a set time that I need to turn up, you get to know other people in the class and are therefore someone notices if you DON'T turn up, and there is someone up the front encouraging youto keep going - to keep pushing yourself.

Some of the movements in these classes can be done as high impact, but as I have back and joint issues I have to do everything low impact. Good news is there are very few movements that you can't modify - in fact often the instructor automatically shows you a low impact option. Once you've been modifying for a while, you can usually figure out a low impact version on your own.

While I know you think you will hate it, if you haven't actually tried a group fitness class, I think you should give it a go just to be sure - you might actually surprise yourself :-) Zumba, Boxfit, Pilates, Yoga, water aerobics, Abs/Butts/Thighs - even a spin class and you can't fall off those bikes! Even a dance class might fit the bill! (Recommend Ceroc or French Jive if you have it where you are...)

I've been off for a while with a shoulder injury that is just starting to come right, and googling all the different choices has even inspired me to start getting back into it! I get bored easily so I usually try and do as many different classes during the week as possible. I have to admit that even if I was allowed to run, I probably still wouldn't - it does seem to be very hard on the body!

I'm glad the situation wasn't permanent and you're starting to come right! Good luck with finding something you enjoy that will help you get fit and fabulous!!
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,864 Member
    And if boredom doing cardio is your problem watch catch up TV on your smart phone. I forgot to add walking on an incline on the treadmill.