Muscle gain?

Options
I think I know why I'm staying at the same weight the last two months but just looking for insight. These past two months I have been really sticking to weight training(some cardio but most of her programs involve strength training lately) with Sydney Cummings on YouTube. I promised myself I will stick with every video this program so I am. Anyways I'm sore pretty much 80% of the time. My calories are on track because I count everything. I weigh everything. I even keep track of how much I'm in a deficit every day and weekly. Anyways since beginning of May I'm bouncing around 139-141. Mainly staying 140.2 most days. I notice I'm 141 when I eat lot of salt night before.

After another 1.5 months of this strength training program. I'm going to cool it abit so my body can recover and do lighter work outs 3 times a week instead of 5. My goal was to get down to 135 pounds.

Does it sound like I'm just swollen all the time and retaining water from all the strength training? Is it possible to retaining water all the time if im constantly lifting weights. Hoping I'm just gaining muscle and I'll see the scale go down eventually again.

Replies

• sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,649 Member
    edited June 2023
    Options
    Water weight would not cause you to stay at the same weight for 2 months. If you've stayed at a stable weight for 2 months, you're most likely eating at maintenence (meaning just enough to maintain a consistent weight).
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,764 Member
    Options
    You can tell if you're losing fat if your waist measurement is going down so keep track of that. In 6 weeks it would be hard for any muscle gain to hide fatloss so you'll most likely need to lower calories a bit. You don't have much to lose so if you do things right you shold reach your goal in around 8 weeks.
  • FitnessFreak1821
    FitnessFreak1821 Posts: 242 Member
    edited June 2023
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I'm using TDEE calculator to get the calories to lose or maintain. I'm definitely in a deficit for my activity level. So I'm confused as to why I'm always same weight. At one point a few months ago I stopped working out for a week to see if the scale would change. The scale finally went down...but I don't want to completely give up a whole week or two again.🤔
  • FitnessFreak1821
    edited June 2023
    Options
    I am noticing changes in my stomach when looking in the mirror and more muscle tone in my arms/legs. so im happy but I just would like to be 130-135 bouncing between there. Then focus on maintaining that but every time I get to 140s I get stuck. This happened after I lost my postpartum weight the first time but not as long because I focused on cardio more and skipped strength and leg days.
  • tomcustombuilder
    edited June 2023
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I'm using TDEE calculator to get the calories to lose or maintain. I'm definitely in a deficit for my activity level. So I'm confused as to why I'm always same weight. At one point a few months ago I stopped working out for a week to see if the scale would change. The scale finally went down...but I don't want to completely give up a whole week or two again.🤔
    the calculator is just a suggestion and a place to start and not meant to be the be all end all of everything Fatloss.

Choosing too high of an activity level, eating back too many exercise calories, food selections that are incorrect on the MFP lists, your inaccurate weekly calorie counting and tracking. These things will contribute to not making progress even though you seem to be sticking to the program.

Your body doesn’t know numbers, only if it’s been given energy to either gain mass, maintain mass or lose mass.

• csplatt
    csplatt Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    How are you calculating calories burned when you lift? Perhaps your food counting is on point but you are overestimating your burns?
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,528 Member
    Options

Echoing what Tom said: These so-called calculators (including MFP and fitness trackers) don't calculate or measure our calorie needs. They estimate our calorie needs.

The number they spit out is basically the average for people similar to us with respect to the relatively few bits of information the app or device has about us. But you and I aren't averages, we're individuals. Individuals differ from the average. In this case, most people will be close to average, a few will be noticeably far off, and a rare few will be surprisingly far off. That's the nature of statistical estimates, including those with a relatively small standard deviation.

That's why we log carefully for 4-6 weeks, then adjust based on our personal weight-change experience. That's also an estimate, but a much better personalized estimate . . . and one that implicitly compensates for our average personal logging inaccuracy. (Even the most meticulous among us has some inaccuracy, because logging is also estimating, at its root.)

MFP and my good brand/model fitness tracker (one that's close for other people who've discussed it here) is off by 25-30% for me, as compared with nearly 8 years of logging experience. That's several hundred calories! It's rare for reasonable research-based calorie-needs estimates to be that far off, but it can happen . . . and it may may not be obvious what the reason is.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,981 Member
    Options
    csplatt wrote: »
    How are you calculating calories burned when you lift? Perhaps your food counting is on point but you are overestimating your burns?

I was also wondering if this was the issue.
  • FitnessFreak1821
    Options
    csplatt wrote: »

I use a fit bit 2 and use the "workout" setting 🤔 never thought of trying the other options on it.
  • FitnessFreak1821
    edited June 2023
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Echoing what Tom said: These so-called calculators (including MFP and fitness trackers) don't calculate or measure our calorie needs. They estimate our calorie needs.

The number they spit out is basically the average for people similar to us with respect to the relatively few bits of information the app or device has about us. But you and I aren't averages, we're individuals. Individuals differ from the average. In this case, most people will be close to average, a few will be noticeably far off, and a rare few will be surprisingly far off. That's the nature of statistical estimates, including those with a relatively small standard deviation.

That's why we log carefully for 4-6 weeks, then adjust based on our personal weight-change experience. That's also an estimate, but a much better personalized estimate . . . and one that implicitly compensates for our average personal logging inaccuracy. (Even the most meticulous among us has some inaccuracy, because logging is also estimating, at its root.)

MFP and my good brand/model fitness tracker (one that's close for other people who've discussed it here) is off by 25-30% for me, as compared with nearly 8 years of logging experience. That's several hundred calories! It's rare for reasonable research-based calorie-needs estimates to be that far off, but it can happen . . . and it may may not be obvious what the reason is.

Thanks that makes sense. I have been on here consistently for last 2 years. Consuming anywhere 1900-2000 cals then after i exercise i'm between 1500-1800 cals because of the calorie burn depending on everything. I never go under my BMR cals which i believe is 1345 cals last i checked because I was told that's not a good.

Sooo maybe I'll have to make my net calories that's including with afterburn. 1500-1600 cals max. I'll have to play around and see.

Trying to be patient because I know it takes time. It took me 2 years to lose 34 pounds i have lost so far 🙃
  • FitnessFreak1821
    edited June 2023
    Options
    the calculator is just a suggestion and a place to start and not meant to be the be all end all of everything Fatloss.

Choosing too high of an activity level, eating back too many exercise calories, food selections that are incorrect on the MFP lists, your inaccurate weekly calorie counting and tracking. These things will contribute to not making progress even though you seem to be sticking to the program.

Your body doesn’t know numbers, only if it’s been given energy to either gain mass, maintain mass or lose mass.

Thanks for the insight. I'm definitely not eating back all calories..I might go to odd time( -100-200 over max )but most of the time I have 100 or more calories left.🤔
  • tomcustombuilder
    Options

Thanks for the insight. I'm definitely not eating back all calories..I might go to odd time( -100-200 over max )but most of the time I have 100 or more calories left.🤔
    Again, regardless of how accurate you think you’re being, no loss means no deficit. Re read mine and Ann’s posts
  • FitnessFreak1821
    edited June 2023
    Options

Again, regardless of how accurate you think you’re being, no loss means no deficit. Re read mine and Ann’s posts

Yes I have read it and I know what you both mean. I know these calculators and tracking devices is a estimate nothing is accurate. But you're assuming I'm overreating all the time or something which I know 10000% I am not. I count every single thing in drinks and food. Weigh everything so i know exactly what i am consuming. I have literally been doing this for years now besides when i was pregnant of course. I lost 42 pounds after my first kid..now I'm on my second weightloss journey after my second..i lost 34 pounds so far. So this calorie counting thing is not my first rodeo. I feel like I got a good grip on my eating habits, thanks.
  • tomcustombuilder
    Options

Yes I have read it and I know what you both mean. I know these calculators and tracking devices is a estimate nothing is accurate. But you're assuming I'm overreating all the time or something which I know 10000% I am not. I count every single thing in drinks and food. Weigh everything so i know exactly what i am consuming. I have literally been doing this for years now besides when i was pregnant of course. I lost 42 pounds after my first kid..now I'm on my second weightloss journey after my second..i lost 34 pounds so far. So this calorie counting thing is not my first rodeo. I feel like I got a good grip on my eating habits, thanks.
    well if you aren’t losing then there is a hole in the program somewhere. Do you understand that when you’re lighter your maintenance calories are lower?

• FitnessFreak1821
    edited June 2023
    Options

well if you aren’t losing then there is a hole in the program somewhere. Do you understand that when you’re lighter your maintenance calories are lower?

Yes I understand that. I actually check maintenance calories as i lose. I'm logging into everything as correct as possible in my TDEE calculator. I know if you don't do anything or little activity it is quite low your maintenance level of cals. I'm working out 5-6 days a week 40-60 minutes. Logging everything else in correctly soo I don't see how you go so wrong with calories?
    I mean how does anyone know a base line what they "should" be eating to lose maintain or gain with out these estimates from the calculators or devices?

MFP, fitbit, TDDE can't be so off that it's making me maintain 🤔
  • ddsb1111
    ddsb1111 Posts: 825 Member
    Options

Yes I understand that. I actually check maintenance calories as i lose. I'm logging into everything as correct as possible in my TDEE calculator. I know if you don't do anything or little activity it is quite low your maintenance level of cals. I'm working out 5-6 days a week 40-60 minutes. Logging everything else in correctly soo I don't see how you go so wrong with calories?
    I mean how does anyone know a base line what they "should" be eating to lose maintain or gain with out these estimates from the calculators or devices?

MFP, fitbit, TDDE can't be so off that it's making me gain.🤔

You acquire the data. Adjust calories slightly, track and weigh everything, monitor for 4 weeks, and adjust accordingly. You’ll start to see patterns that explain your hormones, daily routine, reaction to food choices, you get the idea. You become your own experiment 😊
  • sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options

Yes, they most definitely can be that far off. In fact, exercise calories alone can be so far off it can make you gain a pound plus per week. Like they've said, the most reliable way to know is data from your own body, not a computer program.
  • tomcustombuilder
    Options

Any diet/exercise app is only as good as the data that is input into it. Food is fairly easy to be off due to many factors however activity is usually the biggest culprit of inaccuracy as you can’t weigh it or measure it. NEAT is the biggest calorie burn next to BMR, way more than exercise calories so that can be where the big inaccuracies come from.

Try going down 1 category lower in your lifestyle input even to NOT VERY ACTIVE. Those categories don’t and shouldn’t take exercise into consideration.

Good luck on getting back on track.

• FitnessFreak1821
    Options
    ddsb1111 wrote: »

You acquire the data. Adjust calories slightly, track and weigh everything, monitor for 4 weeks, and adjust accordingly. You’ll start to see patterns that explain your hormones, daily routine, reaction to food choices, you get the idea. You become your own experiment 😊

Yes, I definitely have to adjust things to see just don't want to go to low in cals. Time will tell I guess.
  • FitnessFreak1821
    Options

Any diet/exercise app is only as good as the data that is input into it. Food is fairly easy to be off due to many factors however activity is usually the biggest culprit of inaccuracy as you can’t weigh it or measure it. NEAT is the biggest calorie burn next to BMR, way more than exercise calories so that can be where the big inaccuracies come from.

Try going down 1 category lower in your lifestyle input even to NOT VERY ACTIVE. Those categories don’t and shouldn’t take exercise into consideration.

Good luck on getting back on track.

Ok good idea🤔 thank you