Newbie! Need Help!

Options
Hi everyone. I'm new here, but already enjoying the vibe. I'm grateful that my company cares about us and offers these types of resources. I was in a size 7 just 4 years ago. I'm up to a good size 16 at 216lbs now. I had gone through some seriously rough life events, depression, stopped my daily walks, started eating sugar and fried foods again, and now I have developed type 2 diabetes and high blood pressure. I have just recently been put on meds for it to. I am finding it super hard to lose this weight again. I am finding it super hard to get motivated to move/exercise and revamp my meal plans to healthy foods like I used to do. I know I am capable of getting back on track. I just need a major push to get me back into my old healthy patterns. That's where you all come in! I know I need help and I know you guys have the positivity and actions behind the talk that will get me motivated again. I look forward to your input.
Thanks, Welsh

Replies

• Viridian1539
    Viridian1539 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Hi Welsh!

Welcome aboard! We're happy to have you <3
    I also grapple with Depression and recently came back to MFP after being gone for a few years. I've found, personally, that just tracking foods and being mindful of the "fuel I put in my tank" is a huge help. Keeping my sodium levels below 1500 and drinking tons of water each day are also big.

Personally, I recommend starting small. Join one of the challenges like "Just Give me 10 days" to get yourself set up with some accountability and set some short term goals. Both on-scale victories and some non-scale victories (NSV).

There are some helpful sections in the health/wellness/goals category for things like nutrition, weight loss tips, and strength training. I recommend just browsing some of the most popular discussions as you have time. I'm no expert, so other folks may be able to provide better information than I can.

Another thing that is a huge game changer is your mindset. Are you here just until you lose the weight, or are you in it 'til the end as a total lifestyle change? For lasting results, you have to commit to permanent change.

Best of luck on your adventures!
    - Bekkah
  • harringtona1
    harringtona1 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Hi Welsh!
    You certainly can do it!!! A few things I'm doing that seem to be working so far that maybe will resonate are:
    1. I decided I really really wanted to be healthy. I'm willing to do whatever I can think of to do it. And to do the things that I want meant I had to prioritize myself for once. If you can really do that, you'll make it.
    2. I'm giving myself a year to get there. No rush. Taking it easy.
    3. I eat on smaller plates. This also shows my husband, Mr Fit, that I'm doing something every meal (we eat most meals at home thankfully) to help. He sees that. I like showing him I'm serious, too. He's not judgy, but I still think I'm a bit accountable to him. I don't want him having to take care of me 10 years from now.
    4. Wegovy. You might be able to get Ozempic since you're diabetic. I'm not big on meds. But I figured I know for a fact the many many risks of staying above 200 pounds. The risks of the medication was lower. Simple math for me. I know it's not for everyone. And truthfully, I lost 10 pounds in 2 months without it. I was just willing to do more more more.
    5. I stopped telling myself I "should," "shouldn't," "have to..." I say I want to or don't want to. Sometimes I have to say it out loud. Just a trick of the mind that I like. If I SHOULD, and I don't... I feel bad. If I WANT to, and I don't... Meh. No biggie. Even the good stuff. I go walking because I want to, not because I should.

I try to add a new thing every week or two, even these discussions is a thing I added.
    Keeps it fresh for me. Gosh! That's a lot of preaching. Sorry about that. I'm really excited for you!!
    Go get it 💪
  • dja060
    dja060 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Having support is a great factor in this journey! Finding little things and tips that help you figure out what will work best in your life and lifestyle will help with that. I too like using a smaller plate, love eating low carb (previously keto), and taking any small victory as a win :smile:
  • harringtona1
    Options
    Does it help anyone to hear tough love? Is compassion best? I notice tough love doesn't work on my sister. She listens and agrees, but it doesn't change her behavior.
    Nobody ever tried tough love on me lol. My hubby wouldn't dare!
    I'm just wondering how I can be a good support person for anyone on here. 🤷‍♀️
  • 2ncw7wbzy9
    2ncw7wbzy9 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hey guys I’m new as well I can’t wait to see new beginnings and I hope all you beautiful ladies have a great journey 🫶🏻
  • harringtona1
    Options
    Everyone doing ok?
    I have so little energy that I can barely stay awake during the day. I mean I do not stay awake I fall asleep. Luckily I work from home.
    I know exercise will help. It's too hot for good walks. So I tried some gardening yesterday. But I kept getting dizzy and had to break every few minutes. I think it's the heat.
    What I need is to get on that darn rowing machine and see if that keeps me awake!
    Will report back tomorrow.