Mesuring Chicken Brest

Options
Hello everyone

Please I want to know whether we should measure chicken brest cooked or not?

For me I measure it uncooked, and have 500g per day

Knowing that cooked chicken decreases by 25% so it will become 375g, so should I put 500g or 375g ?
Tagged:

Replies

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,393 Member
    Options
    Take uncooked. Chicken breast loses a bit of water, potentially some additives added in production depending on your home country, and this is what mostly vanishes. The weight might be lighter, but the amount of calories are still the same as water has no calories.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,114 Member
    Options
    The answer above, but be sure to use an entry that refers to uncooked chicken!

There are cooked chicken entries too. If you want to use the cooked weight, you can use one of those entries. But I prefer to not use them since it's a bit less reliable (the method and duration of cooking can give variable results regarding the moisture loss).
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,457 Member
    edited June 2023
    Options
    Use the figures for uncooked chicken.

Out of curiosity, I often weigh my meats before and after cooking, and for my cooking styles, my meats generally end up losing about .33% of their weight.

So 6 ounces raw is 4 cooked, as an example.

The only exception is meat simmered in a crockpot with a lot of liquid, but it’s still fairly close.

I use the 33% as a rule of thumb in case I’ve forgotten to measure.

My husband is also on MFP, and he cannot understand that meat loses weight during the cooking process. He got kinda upset about it when we had particularly yummy smoked pork last weekend. He was determined to pile his plate. πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
  • ousstheboss
    ousstheboss Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    yirara wrote: Β»
    Take uncooked. Chicken breast loses a bit of water, potentially some additives added in production depending on your home country, and this is what mostly vanishes. The weight might be lighter, but the amount of calories are still the same as water has no calories.

Thank you
  • ousstheboss
    Options
    Lietchi wrote: Β»
    The answer above, but be sure to use an entry that refers to uncooked chicken!

There are cooked chicken entries too. If you want to use the cooked weight, you can use one of those entries. But I prefer to not use them since it's a bit less reliable (the method and duration of cooking can give variable results regarding the moisture loss).

Thank you
  • ousstheboss
    Options

Out of curiosity, I often weigh my meats before and after cooking, and for my cooking styles, my meats generally end up losing about .33% of their weight.

The only exception is meat simmered in a crockpot with a lot of liquid, but it’s still fairly close.

My husband is also on MFP, and he cannot understand that meat loses weight during the cooking process. He got kinda upset about it when we had particularly yummy smoked pork last weekend. He was determined to pile his plate. πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

Thank you
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,393 Member
    Options

I lived in many countries, and meat is 'prepared' differently in each and every one. In some there's the tendency to inject water to make the meat appear more voluminous, or with some other stuff to make it more 'succulent'. Easy to notice because there's suddenly a lot of fluid in the pot. I usually use the calories indicated on the packaging, because this fluid is taken into account there. Of course I prefer good-quality meat, but if even butchers sell this rubbish then there's little you can really do.