Just starting Keto

Options
amiilturner
amiilturner Posts: 2 Member
edited June 2023 in Health and Weight Loss
I believe I have insulin resistance, high cortisol levels and generally a lot of weight to shift.

I’m starting on keto but making a gradual process to eat whatever is in my house at a sensible rate whilst incorporating more keto ideas and ways to make it work for my shift work.

I work on the ambulances so balance is a difficult one for me.

Looking to lose weight and eventually become a strong beasty

Looking for a likeminded community who is not all of nothing but inclusive and happy to share helpful tips and recipes

X
Tagged:

Replies

• rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,186 Member
    Options
    I started Keto when my HA1C numbers got troubling. It has only been just short of two months, but since I have a blood glucose meter I decided to use it and my glucose numbers have improved a great deal. I also have/had high blood pressure and than has dropped extremely fast as well to the point I may need to speak with my doctor about reducing or discontinuing my current medication. I was already losing weight, for three months before I started Keto, and that just continued while on Keto with the short term increase in the rate due to the water weight that comes off as my body switched to a mainly fat metabolism. I am not strict Keto in terms of "clean" food and all the rest, but I attempt to keep my macros in the low carbs (20 net carbs a day), moderate protein, high fat. ratios. My only helpful tip is meal prep has been extremely helpful. I didn't do this gradually either. I went all in from a basically high carb diet one day to keto the next.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,983 Member
    edited June 2023
    Options
    Around half the population has IR, and around 75% overweight and obese so there's a good chance one could be insulin resistant but I would suggest getting some blood work done, and a full panel, just to be sure and to have something to go by and compare going forward and to be connected to your PCP and let them know what your thinking of doing simply because medication is easily effected by diet and especially a diet like a ketogenic one.

IR and diabetes is basically a creature of a misfunctioning carbohydrate metabolism and lowering carbs is a strategy that works well. Fewer carbs, less glucose, less insulin production and a lowers A1C over time, pretty basic.

The standard American diet is mostly the blame for pretty much all the sickness associated with metabolic disorders especially diabetes and obesity and the keto diet is diametrically opposed to that diet which makes it a tough one to sustain and most people don't. A keto and low carb diet are basically whole food diets, so that 900 lb gorilla in the room needs to be addressed.

I've been low carb for over a decade with a couple of years of keto thrown in and I wouldn't discount low carb as opposed to keto. It can range anywhere from around 40% carbs to as low as you want to go and your still going to move that IR needle in the right direction. We're talking diet in association with IR and diabetes but exercise and increasing vo2 is probably the singularly most potent medicine for IR and diabetes and with a lower carb diet is the gold standard for reversing diabetes as far as I can tell from research I've done. good luck. cheers.
  • peggy_polenta
    peggy_polenta Posts: 317 Member
    edited June 2023
    Options
    low carb is soooo much easier than keto and both will put you in ketosis if that is your goal. i have such a hard time maintaining the macros for keto but low carb is something you can do with your eyes closed. no math. you are only counting carbs. no %age of fat macros. i am also insulin resistant and lost 126 pound over 12 years (and kept it off) ago simply by eating less than 40 NET grams of carbs split over 4 feedings per day. from a weight loss perspective, the above works best for me. from a maintenance perspective, omad <30 grams of NET carb per feed keeps me in maintenance.
    you will note that people will post that all calories are equal...they are not. and insulin resistant folks have a lower BMR than non insulin resistant people by on average 300-500 per day and all calories are not equal for us....but you will also note its the same handful of people who keep repeating the same things over again in these forums since they are convinced they are right but are really only doing a lot of gum flapping on here. its the same 10 or 15 people and are really the only ones who keep posting their opinions and think they are the the authorities on weight loss.... and because they keep repeating the same stories and posts as 'facts' , everyone gets on board and thinks they are correct and they in turn repeat their stories as fact. don't believe everything you read on here and do your own research.
  • amiilturner
    amiilturner Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your insight. I will of course do my own research and see what happens!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    Options
    Around half the population has IR, and around 75% overweight and obese so there's a good chance one could be insulin resistant but I would suggest getting some blood work done, and a full panel, just to be sure and to have something to go by and compare going forward and to be connected to your PCP and let them know what your thinking of doing simply because medication is easily effected by diet and especially a diet like a ketogenic one.

IR and diabetes is basically a creature of a misfunctioning carbohydrate metabolism and lowering carbs is a strategy that works well. Fewer carbs, less glucose, less insulin production and a lowers A1C over time, pretty basic.

The standard American diet is mostly the blame for pretty much all the sickness associated with metabolic disorders especially diabetes and obesity and the keto diet is diametrically opposed to that diet which makes it a tough one to sustain and most people don't. A keto and low carb diet are basically whole food diets, so that 900 lb gorilla in the room needs to be addressed.

I've been low carb for over a decade with a couple of years of keto thrown in and I wouldn't discount low carb as opposed to keto. It can range anywhere from around 40% carbs to as low as you want to go and your still going to move that IR needle in the right direction. We're talking diet in association with IR and diabetes but exercise and increasing vo2 is probably the singularly most potent medicine for IR and diabetes and with a lower carb diet is the gold standard for reversing diabetes as far as I can tell from research I've done. good luck. cheers.

Another vote for getting blood work done. Having the comparisons was very important for me when I was anemic.