Making recipes?

Options
Ok, so I've been watching TikTok and finding recipes to use from there and I've been trying to track my macros and calories on here, but how does one know what's the appropriate amount of calories?

For example, tonight I made some "Italian chicken cutlets".

Italian bread crumbs, parmesan cheese

Fry it in a pan till done and golden brown

I know that 4oz of chicken is a typical serving size, but how on earth would I go about calculating the calories in a serving size?

I love to make my own recipes and then log them, so when I have them again, it's easily searchable!

I do this with my Reese's inspired protein drink (one Carnation breakfast drink packet *the high protein one* and 2-4 table spoons of PB2 (powdered peanut butter) with fairlife milk! Blend till mixed.

It was simple enough to just look up the ingredients and add them together and for the Italian bread crumbs and the parmesan that'd be easy, but how do I calculate the fact they're fried in a bit of vegetable oil?

Replies

• springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,460 Member
    edited June 2023
    Options
    Weigh and log the amount of oil you use. If you use 4 tbsp to make four cutlets, then each serving is charged a tbsp. Oils are 110-120 calories a tbsp, from memory.

Although….tbh what I’d do myself is melt a tbsp of margarine, dip all four in, roll them in the crumbs and Parmesan and a few herbs, shave a few slivers of margarine over top and then bake them. They come out crunchy and yummy and a fraction the calories of pan frying them.

That’s about 2 tbsp or less for awhile hatch four whole servings and most margarines are 60 per tbsp. So figure 120 calories for all four divided by four is 30 calories apiece

That’s 1/4 the oil calories.

I’d spend the extra calories to roll a half piece of Swiss cheese up inside of them before baking. Makes them super moist and tangy.
  • pony4us
    pony4us Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I just bake things that call for frying in oil, even eggplant for eggplant parm. Put on a cooling rack over a sheet pan and sprtiz with EVOO (or not...for chicken I don't). Even better if you have a convection oven, my new stove has an oven with an air fryer option (waitint for it to come in)
  • springlering62
    Options
    pony4us wrote: »
    I just bake things that call for frying in oil, even eggplant for eggplant parm. Put on a cooling rack over a sheet pan and sprtiz with EVOO (or not...for chicken I don't). Even better if you have a convection oven, my new stove has an oven with an air fryer option (waitint for it to come in)

Oh wow. I’d be interested to hear how your new stove oven does with air fryer.

I’m totally rethinking my kitchen. With the new “pots” and portable induction hobs that can be tucked in a drawer, I’m almost wondering if a giant stovetop and wall oven are a necessity any more.

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options
    pony4us wrote: »

Oh wow. I’d be interested to hear how your new stove oven does with air fryer.

I’m totally rethinking my kitchen. With the new “pots” and portable induction hobs that can be tucked in a drawer, I’m almost wondering if a giant stovetop and wall oven are a necessity any more.

You may want to check your local ordinances before you rip things out. In my area, you can't sell something as a residence if it doesn't have an oven. Of course, you could always redo the kitchen when/if you're ready to sell.
  • sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,612 Member
    Options
    Ok, so I've been watching TikTok and finding recipes to use from there and I've been trying to track my macros and calories on here, but how does one know what's the appropriate amount of calories?

I know that 4oz of chicken is a typical serving size, but how on earth would I go about calculating the calories in a serving size?

I love to make my own recipes and then log them, so when I have them again, it's easily searchable!

I do this with my Reese's inspired protein drink (one Carnation breakfast drink packet *the high protein one* and 2-4 table spoons of PB2 (powdered peanut butter) with fairlife milk! Blend till mixed.

It was simple enough to just look up the ingredients and add them together and for the Italian bread crumbs and the parmesan that'd be easy, but how do I calculate the fact they're fried in a bit of vegetable oil?

You can't, really, that's why calorie counting is an estimate. However, what I've done is just add a tablespoon worth of oil to the calorie count (about 100 calories worth).
  • springlering62
    edited June 2023
    Options
    sollyn23l2 wrote: »

You can't, really, that's why calorie counting is an estimate. However, what I've done is just add a tablespoon worth of oil to the calorie count (about 100 calories worth).

Depends on your cooking style. In my obese days, it took a LOT of oil to fry things. Chicken took at least a quart and a half of canola (cuz it was healthier ) in the big cast iron pot. Although I was typically doing five or six pounds at once, in hopes of leftovers the next day. 😬
  • Rockmama1111
    Rockmama1111 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I just count the oil… if it says fry in oil, I’ll spray the pan with cooking spray and add oil by the teaspoon or tablespoon and log it.