Bloating from high protein Intake

Options
Hello everyone, 28 f and currently weigh 145 lb and 5’7. I started increasing my protein intake to 100 g a day with whey protein powder and in between meat (chicken breast, egg) and dairy. I want to get more lean and started lifting weights daily. However I noticed I started getting bloating in evening daily. I eat 70g of protein for lunch and 30g of snacks in between. With both sources I am noticing bloating and I eat yoghurt daily. Has anyone experienced this and does it go away? I hate feeling bloated and wondering if I can consider different protein sources or reduce the protein amount. I am looking for a lean physique with muscle tone, not necessarily bulk up.

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    There is a possibility you have issue with dairy, which is in yogurt and whey. You can swap those with things like chicken, eggs, beef, or fish to see if that alleviates the symptoms.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,461 Member
    Options
    We’re all different, but I’m same height and weight as you, (though I have kids older than you!) and eat very high protein. I usually shoot for an average of 170gr/day.

Protein doesn’t bloat me at all.

However, I did go through a period of painful bloating that I finally traced back to a particular protein bar I was having as a snack. It had an artificial sweetener that was really messing with my stomach.

I changed to a different bar and voila! Problem solved.

Ditto for a protein powder I used for a while. Changed to Naked brand plain whey (liked the Bob’s Red Mill but holy cow it was expensive) and instead of drinking it, I add it to my morning pancake batter.

Try changing up your source of protein, and give some thought to how you’re using it.

I get my protein via eggs, yogurt, skyr, cottage cheese, milk, powdered Naked Whey, homemade liquid whey, meats, Nugo bars, and if I’m still running short on numbers, I keep jerky as a protein backup.

If it does turn out to be a lactose intolerance, kefir is low lactose due to the fermentation process. It’s super easy to make kefir, and it’s great in baked goods, smoothies. It was SO easy, I couldn’t keep up with production (hot climate) and, even after reading that eating the grains was a thing, had to quit. Kefir was like Tribbles in my kitchen.

Trekkies will understand. 😜

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    We’re all different, but I’m same height and weight as you, (though I have kids older than you!) and eat very high protein. I usually shoot for an average of 170gr/day.

Protein doesn’t bloat me at all.

However, I did go through a period of painful bloating that I finally traced back to a particular protein bar I was having as a snack. It had an artificial sweetener that was really messing with my stomach.

I changed to a different bar and voila! Problem solved.

Ditto for a protein powder I used for a while. Changed to Naked brand plain whey (liked the Bob’s Red Mill but holy cow it was expensive) and instead of drinking it, I add it to my morning pancake batter.

Try changing up your source of protein, and give some thought to how you’re using it.

I get my protein via eggs, yogurt, skyr, cottage cheese, milk, powdered Naked Whey, homemade liquid whey, meats, Nugo bars, and if I’m still running short on numbers, I keep jerky as a protein backup.

If it does turn out to be a lactose intolerance, kefir is low lactose due to the fermentation process. It’s super easy to make kefir, and it’s great in baked goods, smoothies. It was SO easy, I couldn’t keep up with production (hot climate) and, even after reading that eating the grains was a thing, had to quit. Kefir was like Tribbles in my kitchen.

Trekkies will understand. 😜

Good point. Over the past few years, I developed some adverse reactions to things like quest bars, protein ice creams and many fermented foods (especially cauliflower and cabbage). With Quest bars, i got major bloating. Even noticed that if i stopped eating them, i would immediately drop 2-3 lbs (tested several times). And the latter ones it was the opposite reaction.

• springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,461 Member
    Options
    Btw, jerky, in quantity, can also cause bloating merely from salt/water retention.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,117 Member
    Options
    Eggs give me gas.
    So do some artificial sweeteners.
  • spr931
    spr931 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I get bloat from some protein powder too, I started mixing it half and half with a different brand that I had some left of and now don't have problems with it.
    I'm lactose intolerant. Even though they say on the tub that it has the enzymes in it, it must not be enough of them for me.
    Also Increase you water intake with the protein powder intake. It's drying and obviously with adding weight lifting you're going to need it for recovery.
  • rick123321
    rick123321 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Could be from milk .and certain whey powders are pretty garbage

Some I’ve had made me bloat and some others haven’t. I guess it can be individual

But drink enough water about 3L daily and make sure you eat enough fibre too to clean out system

TBH there are great plant based protein powder alternatives if u interested I can send u link .