Intermittent fasting

I started the fast 18:6 3 days ago. I started 2 months ago in a month I lost 11lbs so the husband works out of town he came and we went out to eat, drank and what not I totally forgot about the fasting and my diet and healthy eating. Now he's gone again and I really want to focus on my goal. My plan is to lose 60lbs by the end of next year. What healthy food under 600 calories do yall recommend. Is there any free app that works for you or a website? I just gave birth 4 months ago and I feel super ugly I used to be 160lbs I am 200+ now and I hate it.

Replies

• TGGn8
    TGGn8 Posts: 1 Member
    Congratulations on the new baby!

The doctors I follow on YouTube below are both published authors. Both promote intermittent fasting. They also recommend short-term fasts to reset our metabolism.

• Dr Boz (Dr. Annette Bosworth) - She recommends a 36-hour sardine fast to reset metabolism (if I understood it correctly). It's chockfull of nutrients and is quite filling.

• Dr Mindy Pelz - She has a particularly good interview with the guy from Diary of a CEO on YT. It's quite long but is well worth watching. She makes sure women understand our bodies and that we treat ourselves well. I wish I knew all of that when I was younger!

Hope this helps!
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 2,098 Member
    TGGn8 wrote: »

The doctors I follow on YouTube below are both published authors. Both promote intermittent fasting. They also recommend short-term fasts to reset our metabolism.

• Dr Boz (Dr. Annette Bosworth) - She recommends a 36-hour sardine fast to reset metabolism (if I understood it correctly). It's chockfull of nutrients and is quite filling.

• Dr Mindy Pelz - She has a particularly good interview with the guy from Diary of a CEO on YT. It's quite long but is well worth watching. She makes sure women understand our bodies and that we treat ourselves well. I wish I knew all of that when I was younger!

Hope this helps!
    sardine fast? That’s a new one! Geeze these YouTube “doctors” are getting more and more desperate for clicks.

And as far as resetting your metabolism there is no such thing.

• xkrissytinax
    xkrissytinax Posts: 2 Member
    edited June 2023
  • kmbtrigger24
    kmbtrigger24 Posts: 11 Member
    I recommend trying to eat low calorie higher volume food. Whether you are fasting for a calorie deficit or are just in a calorie deficit trying to chose lower calorie options will allow you to eat more food. Often times these lower calorie foods also are higher in fiber and protein which are more satiating.

Some examples:
    Breakfast -
    Egg whites- scramble or an omelet with vegetables or meat with reduced fat feta cheese
    Yogurt bowl - Low fat or non fat greek yogurt with fruit, chia seeds, flax seeds, nut butters, or PB2
    Oatmeal bowl - NF greek yogurt, fruit, seeds, nuts, PB2
    Meats- Turkey bacon, Canadian bacon, chicken sausages

Lunch -
    Salads - grilled chicken breast, cooked ground meat, salmon, shrimp, tuna fish (lots of veggies!)
    Wraps - low calories wraps fill full with lean meats lettuce and veggies
    Soups - Premade soups are convenient, can be lower calories, and are filling

Dinner - My dinner meal usually is revolved around meat/ protein
    Meat- Chicken, pork, steak, shrimp, salmon, fish
    Complex carb - Jasmine Rice, quinoa, cauliflower rice (low cal)
    Vegetables - Load up on veggies, broccoli, zucchini, squash, cauliflower, carrots, green beans, etc.
    Healthy fats - Extra virgin olive oil and avocado (always measure these - high calorie)

Snacks and other options -
    Rice cakes
    Built Protein Puff bars
    Jerky (beef and/or turkey)
    Meat sticks
    Greek Yogurts
    Hard boiled eggs
    Fruit - Berries especially and apples

I hope some of this helps. Feel free to friend me, I am always looking to expand my community as we are all in this together!
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,128 Member
    edited July 2023
    TGGn8 wrote: »

Hope this helps!
    sardine fast? That’s a new one! Geeze these YouTube “doctors” are getting more and more desperate for clicks.

And as far as resetting your metabolism there is no such thing.

Our metabolism basically converts foods including liquids in combination with oxygen to energy, basically. If someone's diet has made them obese and they consume a hell of a lot of ultra processed foods and sugar and are insulin resistance the "reset" or "kickstart" might be a way to remove those foods and the deleterious complex biochemical effects and results that led to those outcomes and my metabolism is unique to me and not some ubiquitous nomenclature that has no meaning and can't be influenced. I'll decide how my engine (metabolism) performs by whatever influence I have in my control. This of course is mostly in the context of the population that are overweight and have the cascade of non communicable diseases that need to be overcome and dealt with.

The suggestion to implement a fast would basically halt those foods, which has fed our metabolism up to that point. Now if someone eats food during a fast then it's really not a fast in the true sense and then to suggest someone eat sardines during this "not a real fast" period begins to sound like a crazy idea, but after the fast, when ever that might be, is where the person gets to decide what foods are going to be consumed going forward and in this sense this is the "kickstart" or "reset".

Why sardines, how does that make any sense. They're high in omega 3's, vitamin D, D3, calcium, selenium, CoQ10, B12 and a list of other minerals. There's 24g of protein in every 100g's and the calcium is highly bioavailable, probably the highest. And if during a fast your going to eat anything then it might as well be protein. Of course if a person also believes fasting has no benefits, or it's just calories in vs out that matter then none of this will make much sense, which is fine by me, I just thought I would add my perspective. Would I do it, no, but is it crazy, no. imo.

Internet "Doctors" are people that believe that conventional medicine is not an ideal approach to overall well being and that treating the individual and their personal medical conditions might be a better course of action, which I agree with. The problem is there are some that are certainly out in left field, but to throw them all under the bus is shortsighted in my opinion and verges on group think, which I'm not a fan. Cheers
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,053 Member
    I started the fast 18:6 3 days ago. I started 2 months ago in a month I lost 11lbs so the husband works out of town he came and we went out to eat, drank and what not I totally forgot about the fasting and my diet and healthy eating. Now he's gone again and I really want to focus on my goal. My plan is to lose 60lbs by the end of next year. What healthy food under 600 calories do yall recommend. Is there any free app that works for you or a website? I just gave birth 4 months ago and I feel super ugly I used to be 160lbs I am 200+ now and I hate it.

I understand that you are very unhappy with your weight, but want to caution you about trying to lose too fast - that is a recipe for burnout and binging.

9kjwnia17qv9.jpg

Instead of focusing on the scale, I suggest you look to create healthy habits that can last you a lifetime.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10636388/free-customized-personal-weight-loss-eating-plan-not-spam-or-mlm/p1