๐Ÿ“œ๐Ÿ“œ๐Ÿ–Œ๐Ÿ–ŒIts a never ending learning/trying experience, with pics (Before/After)

Options
Dianedoessmiles1
Dianedoessmiles1 Posts: 12,124 Member
I've been at this since 2010. As you can see I've some success (Lost 117 lbs)
nw8nk7qghjjz.jpg

How did I do this? At first at 288 lbs I was mostly using a power chair (97% of the time). It was 13 years ago my back Dr told me the pain was mostly my own fault (OHHHHH WAS I PISSED OFF OVER HEARING THAT!) but, in all fairness he was NOT WRONG!! He took the time (OH THANKFULLY because LOL that probably saved his life that day!) to explain WHY the excess weight was hurting me more, that he also knew I had back issues (Scoliosis was diagnosed the moment I was born). It made sense to me.

As a kid my back always hurt(I cried a lot) but, my Mom was not going to favor me, nor let me off the hook from being an average kid (I take after her younger sister, very much so who always was "the favored child" because of back pain she rarely had to clean the house, look after the other kids, or so my Mom remembered that way). I have to say my Mom knew her own child the BEST and knew to always have me challenge myself. WISE WOMAN!!! At 23 and a 3rd time Mom (I have 2 older brothers). I was a thin child, always on the run. My family nick name was "Skinny Mini".

I remained very thin until I was in my late 30s, I was in a bad car accident (18 wheelers ALWAYS WIN!! It was totally his fault, he was distracted driving, CB in 92) hence the power chair. When my regular Dr Said to me "Diane here's your x ray, you'll never walk again, stop trying" I heard "Oh you want to walk? Well they say you'll NOT DO so, but GO FOR IT!" and I started off so slowly. I always went to Colorado to live for a bit (I live in Maine). It helped. Now I can easily walk, with pain, it's always with me like a BFF you like, but do not like at the same time. My body amazes me to this day how it does not give up. Neither do I!!

Hence the key to all of this. I did NOT lose overnight (No it was years) I went into maintenance in April. My advice to those just starting out or who are on a plateau, please weight, measure your food and track it daily. Yes, daily. Stay in your calorie range. I've watched over the years fads come in, and go. Exercise at your own ability, find something (s) you enjoy to do. Many think of the word "exercise" and UP come the HORRORS of gym class. Please use a different word, "I am going to go for a walk today" can be relaxing and fun instead of "exercise today". Many sites have free videos on them (I prefer youtube) but there are many.

Reward yourself as you lose, non food rewards from stickers, to a written to yourself with the kindest words you are doing this. EXPECT GAINS!! It's a part of the journey, it's never lose , lose, lose. Expect you WILL go over calorie range for a variety of reasons, please accept that and not beat yourself up. It's normal, and natural.

On that line, think of a child you love, or a pet etc. When you eat more, do not exercise instead of saying "I am such a loser" or similar words say words to yourself you would to a loved child, pet "it's okay. Everyone does this." type of thing. This kindness to yourself will help you to succeed in the long run.

Here's a HUGE HOW DID I DO IT?

I needed SUPPORT!! People how understood what it's like when a BFF HATES (or spouse, family etc) does NOT WANT YOU to lose weight!! But, you want to. Those who are negative to us (my than BFF would buy me candy, my favorites of course, or bake me stuff I found irresistible AT FIRST though I DID learn) who even a few years ago told me "I HATE YOU For losing weight!! Now I am the fattest person when we are around others!" I replied "Its not me you should hate, you shouldn't hate me for taking care of myself ever. I did it for me. If you'd like to be healthier that's a choice only you can make. We are here for you when you decide to, if that's a choice you wish to make."

I joined a site no longer in existence (Sparkepeople) where I found that badly needed was and I flourished, FINALLY!! I had tried before, but never stayed with it! When Sparkpeople closed in Aug of 2021, we went looking for another site, MFP FIT the best!! We've learned so MUCH from our new members here on MFP helping us adjust as we've gone along. We brought the seasonal 5% Challenge with us!! Here's the official description of the 5% Challenge:

Plz join and have fun as we lose 5% of our weight, improve our health and make new friends. Race to Fascinating Places for 8 Weeks. Now you can write your own success story! Have a chat or post questions in the Airport Lounge Discussion. Your friends are welcome too. Start date July 8th.

I attest being a part of a group who wish to be healthy who realize it's not straight forward, who CARE about each other (Especially at a time we now live in which many do not care) makes such a difference.

PLEASE NOTE: This is an ACTIVE team which runs for 8 weeks, if you are going on vacation please let your leaders know. They'll work with you etc. If you are new to exercise, I was too! At first it was all I could do to 10 mins of exercise a day , 3 days a week. That's FINE if you are not able to do a lot, we want you to have SUCCESS long term. If you are in maintenance as I am that's FINE TOO! If you have only 10 lbs to lose or 200 that's FINE TOO!! We will work with you no matter your circumstance. We've been there or someone has. We have a vast amount of experience. But the 8 weeks of being with your team and reporting to them is very important to stay active.

After you click JOIN PLEASE ,,, CLICK On this link or go to the feed:
๐Ÿ’บNeed a Seat on a Team? Post ONLY Here!

There are 8 teams you'll be placed on one of these. WHY smaller teams? Easy in a larger group it's easy to be overlooked, lost, in a smaller group with your team, you'll have the support you need. ALL 8 teams are WONDERFUL!!! Some are completive some are not if you have a preference you may put that in for competitive or non competitive though we'll do our best to honor that , it's not always possible). Again ALL teams are supportive. ASK QUESTIONS Of your leaders once you are p)ut on a team (starting on Weds those who are starting to sign up will be assigned a team, but some may not be right off. We love all 8 teams to have the same amount of members, but you WILL be on a team!

Here's the link to this most wonderful group/team we await your arrival.
https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/144897-2023-summer-5-community-team-plz-join-us

TO make it easier for you here's the link AFTER YOU JOIN at the link above to the

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10891482/need-a-seat-on-a-team-post-only-here/p1

HAPPY WEIGHT LOSS

lj36p46vb0ox.gif

Replies

• Ceriusly1
    Ceriusly1 Posts: 5,749 Member
    Options
    @Dianedoessmiles1 You and many like you is what the 5% Community is all about! Thank you for sharing your story!
  • Dianedoessmiles1
    Options
    @Dianedoessmiles1 You and many like you is what the 5% Community is all about! Thank you for sharing your story!

@Ceriusly1 of which your own success on the 5% is also VERY inspiring!! VERY MUCH SO!! TY TY TY for working with myself and so many others!! YOU ARE AMAZING!!
  • Catwmncat
    Catwmncat Posts: 6,801 Member
    Options
    @Dianedoessmiles1 TY, TY, TY for putting your story out there over and over again. I never would have joined the 5% Challenges if I hadn't seen your story many times. See, I was one of those that thought the 5% Challenges was not for me as I had already lost the weight (65+lbs) and was beginning maintenance. Well, lo and behold, was I ever wrong. I would never have been able to keep off most of the weight for the past 3 yrs if I had not joined. By being on a team I am not only accountable to myself, but to my team as well. The motivation, encouragement and support is a tremendous factor in my success today.
  • hicim705
    hicim705 Posts: 5,213 Member
    Options
    @Dianedoessmiles1 ~ Thank you for sharing your story. I'm happy to know you and happy to work with you. I stumbled upon SparkPeople and although not every day is 'perfect', the MFP site and the 5% Challenge(s) brought here remains a constant for me. The connections I've made and the people that I've interacted with are all special to me and are all part of this journey. Unlike you, I'm not in maintenance ~ actually, I'm of the opinion that you need to 'get your head in the game' and then use the tools here (and elsewhere ~ like the YouTube videos you mentioned) and work hard - every day. There **absolutely will** be days were you don't do as well as others, but the support of the 5% Challenges (the overall community and the individual teams) is priceless and some of these 'virtual friends' truly become friends.

Join us for the Summer 5% Challenge ... you'll be glad that you did!!
  • Dianedoessmiles1
    Options
    @Catwmncat we are DELIGHTED to have you with us!! You bring with you not only success, but your compassion you share kindly, patiently helps many of us our members to see this CAN be done. We all struggle with various parts of weight loss, well we ALL KNOW as we found out, it's so much more than just losing the weight, but also finding out who we are. TY TY TY TY For being a valuable part of our team!
    @Hicim705 ,, Heidi, GREAT POINT!!! MANY days sometimes days on end (or longer) we will struggle, thankfully as you said, having support, each other, being a part of something bigger helps to not quit. So many of us, and many MFP members we start of with an "ideal" Weight and "Time frame" But, often they are not realistic or if one does reach goal, they've found they gave up foods they want back in, we do help out with that!! AND MORE!!! As Heidi says "JOIN us for the Summer 5% Challenge...you'll be glad that you did!" SO TRUE Heidi!!!
    I am 99.99% if I hadn't of lost the weight I'd no longer be here. As Heidi knows I am in congestive heart failure and have chronic kidney disease. I had asked my Dr this very question and her answer was "We do not think you'd be here Diane." Instead every day I get to laughing so hard, making others laugh hard, and I have a great time!! I too am thankful I stumbled upon the 5% Challenge. Working with you and the other OALs (Over All Leaders) is an added bonus to my life I didn't know I needed, but I love it. Such a privilege! TY TY TY for allowing me too!
  • Dianedoessmiles1
    Options
    We are happy to welcome people throughout the challenge (Starts with practice week July 1, 2023 running through the last week of August 2023.

Here's the link to JOIN but, after you join PLEASE also put your name on the
    ๐Ÿ’บNeed a Seat on a Team? Post ONLY Here! (2nd link)

JOIN
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/144897-2023-summer-5-community-team-plz-join-us

For a team within the 5%
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10891482/need-a-seat-on-a-team-post-only-here/p1
  • Dianedoessmiles1
    Options
    LOVE my double chin being TOTALLY GONE!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!