Flushed my cigarettes down the toilet

Options
I wasn't really sure where to post this because it's not exactly diet-related, but it is another big step towards overall health. Anyways...

I'm kind of laughing at myself right now. I tend to be a very analytic person, I rarely make decisions or do things without thinking them through or planning ahead, sometimes to a fault. I have been thinking about quitting smoking lately but had set a quit date of August 14th, when I'm done with classes for the summer, so that I could get geared up and learn all my reasons for wanting to quit (and mostly just stall, I think).

This morning I went for a bike ride and was feeling really good, had a nice little exercise buzz when I got home. Then I went outside to smoke and immediately realized how "icky" it felt. I went from enjoying the fresh morning air and having a spring in my step to filling my lungs with that stinky smoke and having a bad taste in my mouth. So I just came inside and flushed the rest of my cigs (hope it doesn't plug anything up, eek!)

A while before I actually quit drinking, I read the The Easy Way To Stop Drinking by Allen Carr (he also has a similar book for smoking) and one thing that stuck out to me was that once you become addicted/dependent on a substance, you end up needing that substance just to achieve some semblance of normalcy because when you don't have it, you're in a state of withdrawal. So it's a withdrawal/use cycle. I definitely got to the point in my drinking where I needed to drink just to get rid of the headaches/shakes/nausea/irritation and I never would reach a really happy point anymore. Drinking became something that just helped me reach neutral.

Now that I've been sober for a while, I feel happiness on a pretty much daily basis, I love my new life. So I just wonder, because of how much my life has changed from getting out of the withdrawal/use cycle of alcohol, how much it might change getting out of the withdrawal/use cycle of nicotine.

Just wanted to share :smile: If anyone has any tips, suggestions, support, etc. I would love to hear them! I do have nicotine gum but I don't know if I'll use it, I'm done spending money on this foolishness so if I do use the gum, I'm not buying any more after I finish this pack. I just thought I'd have it on hand in case I really flip out lol.

Replies

• jrh5249
    jrh5249 Posts: 28
    Options
    As a "failed" quiter....many times.... i can tell you the only things that helped me were avoiding the bar, which it sounds like you do, chewing anytype of gum, nicorete is nasty, and drink lots of water.

Good luck!
  • Nina74
    Nina74 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I'm laughing (at the thought of flushing them) and cheering you! Great for you!!!! I know many people use the nicotine gum, at least until the cravings go away, butyou can do it! Congrats!
  • moosenbratsmommy
    Options
    best of luck! knowing first hand (from quitting alcohol-congrats) that it will suck in the beginning might help you get through it. you know that it will get better. gum and sugar free hard candies might help get you through it?
  • Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    Good for you!
    I just quit on Memorial Day and it feels great. I had cut down over the last couple years and wasn't as hard core of a smoker so that might have made it easier for me this time. The 1st couple weeks I had cravings when I drank coffee or beer, but it has gotten much easier now. I still think about it once in a while but I haven't given in. I do think I chew gum a little more than I used to so maybe that helps.
    I heard Allan Carr's book helped others but I didn't end up reading it because I didn't need it.
  • vwalczak
    vwalczak Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    HOORAY!

I don't know if you have kids, but if you do or if you ever want to... do it for them! My mom smoked on and off for years and I hated it and I was always so worried about her getting cancer and losing her. She's been smoke free for about 4 years now and it's amazing how her mentality toward smoking has changed. She now sees it as gross and smelly like it always has been, but she never realized! It might seem hard now, but every day you don't smoke is progress!

Also, Blue Like Jazz is one of my favorite books : )
  • FunkBunny
    FunkBunny Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    That is wonderful!!! I have been 11 weeks quit myself (still working my way up to giving up drinking). I had a similar epiphany, except I smoked for a few days, really paying attention to how gross it really was, then when my quit day came, it was a sinch!

Congrats to you on quitting, it's the best decision you could have made for yourself!!
  • ml8801
    ml8801 Posts: 5
    Options
    Best single handed thing you could ever do for yourself . Congratulations, you just took the first step to GREATLY improving your health. And I agreed with the part you added from your book: not having to go smoke, not being chained to that insane craving is extremely liberating. I'm 3 1/2 years smoke-free after smoking 10 and it was the best decision I've ever made. I couldn't even get through reading a story to my daughter without being out of breath.

Drinking and smoking was the hardest to kick, but the first time I made it through a night out at the bar with my friends w/o having a cigarette was the best feeling and it just got easier and easier. Now, it's not even a second thought. Smoking is gross. I also chewed gum a lot....having clean fresh breath was so nice after having ashtray mouth! And my clothes, hair and fingers didn't stink anymore - I smelled like a girl again. haha

Good luck! It's going to be hard, absolutely, but every minute that you get under your belt is a minute closer to this getting easier.
  • jessudd
    jessudd Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    CONGRATULATIONS!! Make a list of reasons why you made this decision to give up smoking and how you feel right now; keep it nearby and if you start feeling tempted, read it as a reminder that you CHOSE to leave smoking behind to benefit you, your family and your new healthy life. Keep it up and God bless!!
  • cdavis1126
    cdavis1126 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I gave up my hard core Friday night drinking back in October with absolutely no problem. However, cigs are a whole different story for me. I do have a quit date in mind, September, when we get back from vacation. I'm already gearing up mentally thinking about it. I give you huge kudos for quitting cold turkey!! I keep thinking to myself if I can lose 84 lbs, there is nothing stopping me from quitting this nasty expensive habit! Don't give up!
  • BlueLikeJazz
    BlueLikeJazz Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    HOORAY!

I don't know if you have kids, but if you do or if you ever want to... do it for them! My mom smoked on and off for years and I hated it and I was always so worried about her getting cancer and losing her. She's been smoke free for about 4 years now and it's amazing how her mentality toward smoking has changed. She now sees it as gross and smelly like it always has been, but she never realized! It might seem hard now, but every day you don't smoke is progress!

Thinking about having kids is one of my biggest motivators to get healthy in general (whether I have them myself or adopt). I want to be a positive role model for my children so they grow up healthy and active. I feel embarrassed if I'm walking down the street and someone else's kid sees me smoking! So I definitely wouldn't want to still be smoking when I have my own. My daddy quit for me right before I was born, too. Isn't that sweet? :)

And I'm so glad someone else actually knows this book! lol
  • lupuslady
    lupuslady Posts: 99
    Options
    please don't think you need extra "aids" to quit smoking. What happens if you run out? Good luck, I'll be praying for you.
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    what i've done in the past is just sleep it off. when i get a really really strong craving, i just take a few minutes and nap. the craving passes, i don't eat the craving and i get a little rest.

water helps, too.

i'm currently "on" smoking, but not all that much. my bf & i are planning a week-long backpacking trip where i hope we don't smoke at all bein' all natural n stuff.
  • mamaturner
    mamaturner Posts: 2,533 Member
    Options
    If it helps it sounds your on the right track just from realizing how icky it tasted after such a great natural high. It took me many times to finally get where I am now. You REALLY need to WANT to quit.

I did it cold turkey (with the help of my daughter being an infant and my husband working 3rd shift) I really didn't have the ability to smoke. I also ended up replacing this addiction with exercise. That I can do with my daughter.. for the most part. And now much more (she's 18 months).

I'm here for support if you need it and I wish you much luck!
  • Mikebrennan
    Options
    YOU'RE MY HERO.
  • Annoreno1459
    Options
    i would flush my cigs to
  • Jamiebee24
    Jamiebee24 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    That is absolutely amazing!!!! I am so happy for you. I used to smoke, a couple of years ago, and then got pregnant. I QUIT cold turkey---which I personally think is the best way to do it. Keep lots of gum handy, find something to do to keep your mind off of it when you are craving one. Maybe you could do a set of push ups, or cut up some veggies or something! I know the hardest part for me was car rides!!

Anyways, good luck. THIS is an awesome achievement to change your life!
  • SemiSweetRae
    Options
    CONGRATULATIONS!!!! Aside from quitting you really have taken the first step to not go back to smoking...you realized and made the decision that your health and your new life was so much more important. I am very analytical as well and as soon as I was able to make that connection it just clicked! I didn't do it because my boyfriend wanted to or because my boss was razzing me about my breaks...I just lit a cigarette one morning and I was like "ew this IS totally disgusting". I will be 8 weeks cigarette free this Thursday. I don't think you need any gums or nicotine substitutes...just be realistic with yourself. You know that you are going to have withdrawls, you know that there will be that one day when you want one...just ride it out. Treat it like a craving, don't they only last for fifteen minutes or something?

PS...NOT smoking will let toxins be released from you body that aid in retaining body fat. So many of the chemicals like Formaldehyde actually make fat cells die...this prevents them from being expelled by your body. That's why we tend to get fat deposits. So it really is directly related to losing weight and getting healthy!

Use your MFP support system like you use it for weight loss! Good luck!
  • Alleghany
    Alleghany Posts: 200
    Options
    Hey, Blue! That is wonderful! :flowerforyou: Reading your post made me think of my father and how he battled quitting smoking. He, like you, took a bicycle ride one day some 40 years ago, felt way too wonderful to light up another cig after arriving home and decided right then and there that he would no longer have cigs in his life. He decided to ride his bicycle to work so he could achieve that high at least twice a day (to work and from work). He would often also try to squeeze in a quick ride after getting home from work. After a while, he looked at his situation, how wonderful his life had become cig-free and how strong mentally he felt. He knew that cycling was his savior so he’s kept it up all these years (biked to and from work until retirement) and even races in competitions. He’s quickly approaching 70 years now (wowzuhs!) and still loves the feeling he gets while riding and the high he experiences afterwards (the surge of all those "happy endorphins"). Cycling helped him break the chains of cigs while also keeping him in shape, physically and mentally. I hope you’re able to find you’re liberator and break the cig habit.

Good luck! I’m rooting for you, Blue!!! :flowerforyou:
  • Alleghany
    Alleghany Posts: 200
    Options
    HOORAY!

Thinking about having kids is one of my biggest motivators to get healthy in general (whether I have them myself or adopt). I want to be a positive role model for my children so they grow up healthy and active. I feel embarrassed if I'm walking down the street and someone else's kid sees me smoking! So I definitely wouldn't want to still be smoking when I have my own. My daddy quit for me right before I was born, too. Isn't that sweet? :)

And I'm so glad someone else actually knows this book! lol

My Dad was also highly motivated to quit for my older brother who was then a newborn. I'm soooooo thankful that he quit when he did so that he could become healthy and provide a healthy environment for us to grow up in.

YAY, BLUE! :flowerforyou: We're here for you!!!
  • erica79
    erica79 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    good for you!!:smile: I quit 6 months ago. I heard that Allen Carr has a book for quitting smoking too. I fouind it online one day. I never read it but other people swear by it. And if his other book helped you quit drinking I don't know why this one wouldn't help too.
    The best tip I can give you is drink lots of water. The only way your truly going to quit for good is if you truley want to. That's why I quit over and over again and it never lasted. I wasn't ready.. It sounds like you are though so good luck:bigsmile: