Flushed my cigarettes down the toilet

Options
2»

Replies

• lina1131
    lina1131 Posts: 2,246 Member
    Options
    I quit on July 4, 2009. I got to a point, just like you, where I just felt nasty. I quit cold turkey one day and I have not looked back. It wasn't even hard for me. I was just done with it.

You are doing great things for your body. Congrats!
  • rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
    Options
    You can do it. when a craving stikes breath deep and focus on something else. for me it was to get up and move. I did jumping jacks or ran up and down a flight of stairs. That refocused the brain and made me breath. congrats on the decision to quit and good luck on your journey.
  • lesley1981
    lesley1981 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    WELL DONE :bigsmile:

As a smoker myself I know how difficult it must have been for you to even think about flushing the ciggies away! That's definitely a big step!

I too am wanting to quit smoking, but haven't reached the point where I'm ready (and I know some people will tell me to wise up) but at the moment my motivation is solely on my diet! Once I get down to my target weight I'm going to quit (I promise) and work on getting fitter!

Make sure you let us know how it's going!!
  • nancyggg
    nancyggg Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I quit cold turkey 15 years ago. This is what I did.

Deep Breaths when you have a craving. It moves the nicotine around in your lungs and fools the brain.
    Black Licorace.... something in it helps the cravings.
    Lots of water.
    Exercise.

I also changed some habits. I noticed there were certain places (like the route to work) that the cravings hit very strongly. I must have lit up at those places each time. So I changed the way I drove places.

It was not easy and I struggled. But it is so worth it to you and your family when you succeed.

Good Luck.
    Nancy
  • dcruzz
    dcruzz Posts: 12
    Options
    Is a huge step :flowerforyou: good luck !!!
  • KatWood
    KatWood Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking over a year ago. My reason was similar. I was training for my first half marathon and I felt stupid working out and then going home to smoke. Also I knew there was no way I could hit my fitness goals (including running the race) as a smoker. So I quit. I also temporarily gave up drinking because I very closely relate the two. That definitey helped. I still miss smoking sometimes, especially when I am drinking a glass of red wine, but the benefits have been so awesome there is no way that I would ever go back. My asthma is nearly gone (I only need my inhallers when I get a chest cold) and I am sleeping better. And food tastes better! And I have more money! And the embrassement of my nasty habit is gone. I was always very ashamed to be a smoker. Most of my friends and family didn't know. Even my coworkers didn't know.

My husband has recently quit too. And I am so proud of him. He has been smoking for 20 yrs. He is doing great. But as a result we are both eating more cookies and pies than we should be ... LOL

Congrats on making such a fantastic decision. You won't regret it. It will be hard but worthwhile and it does get easier.
  • hartlife48
    hartlife48 Posts: 33
    Options
    As a daughter who is currently witnessing her father going through surgery, chemotherapy, and radiation because of lung cancer caused by years of smoking, I am VERY proud of you for quitting. I would not want even my worst enemy to go through what my family and I are going through (especially my dad). Stay strong girl, it's 100% worth it.
  • SageGoddess320
    SageGoddess320 Posts: 2,589 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile: Good for you! Quitting the cigs is a major accomplishment. :bigsmile:
  • lilac67
    lilac67 Posts: 311
    Options
    How awesome!! I quit a little over 2 yrs ago myself. I lost my grandmother and mother to smoking related illnesses. My mom was on a vent 3-4 times a year in IUC her last 3 years. It was so hard on her. I didn't want that to be my story, too. I didn't want it to be my kids's either.

Like you, I was just ready. I really related to those Ex commercials. I didn't know what to do after a meal, when I was driving, even when taking a break. I had never drove w/o a smoke. I chewed alot of gum in the car, lol! If I was taking a break or after a meal, I'd have a cup of tea.

I look back now and I don't know how I ever did it. And no, I'm not a naggy ex-smoker. But I'm so glad I quit. I wish you continued sucess and I hope one day you have your story to share to encourage someone else.
  • BlueLikeJazz
    BlueLikeJazz Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Wow you guys are great, look at all the quitters here! Thanks for all the encouraging stories and tips. The day has gone pretty smoothly so far. I went for another bike ride this evening and am feeling really energetic now, I hope I sleep okay. I've chewed two pieces of nicotine gum and will probably chomp one more on my way to work (I work 10P-7A, but get to sleep about 5 hours of my shift. I go to school during the day). I figure once the gum runs out (I just bought one pack) it should be pretty easy to just stop it all together, considering I'm going through my whole first day with only 3 pieces when they suggest at least 9.

And thank goodness I'm not craving lots of food, that was one of my bigger concerns. I've just been eating normally and have felt pretty good. So once again, thanks everyone! I'll probably keep checking in for the hey of it here over the next few days.
  • FunkBunny
    FunkBunny Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Don't be afraid to use the nicorete! It's only temporary and s a good step in the right direction. i used the nicorete mini lozenges and they were a life saver in the beginning. They suggested 9 of them and I, too only used 4 or 5 a day the first week or so. Eventually the need for those wore off and I was peachy without anything!
    11 weeks for me today. Whoo hoo to you and all the fit quitters we have here!
  • Corrie62
    Corrie62 Posts: 191
    Options
    I quit long time ago, I used the patch, and chewed cinnamon sticks (raw cinnamon, not the candy). I would get them from the bulk food store and pick them about the size around of a cigarette, and then take them home and cut them about the length of a cigarette. Kept me busy with my hands...eased the "habit" part of smoking, and the strong taste of the cinnamon eased the craving for the taste of the cigarette. Also made my coffee taste good when I stirred the cinnamon in the coffee. :smile:
  • lee112780
    lee112780 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Awesome job!!! I just quit about 6 months ago...gained some weight, but feel much better!
  • jeweljade
    jeweljade Posts: 93
    Options
    Congrats!!! I am sooo happy for you. I lost my grandfather because he smoked so much. :sad: (happy tears for you)
  • BlueLikeJazz
    BlueLikeJazz Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Don't be afraid to use the nicorete! It's only temporary and s a good step in the right direction. i used the nicorete mini lozenges and they were a life saver in the beginning. They suggested 9 of them and I, too only used 4 or 5 a day the first week or so. Eventually the need for those wore off and I was peachy without anything!
    11 weeks for me today. Whoo hoo to you and all the fit quitters we have here!

Congrats on your 11 weeks, yay!
    Corrie62: I like the cinnamon stick idea, I used to chew them raw just for the heck of it when I was young, never thought to do it now.

I made it through my first 48 hours, but for some reason I think today is going to be the hardest so far. I woke up pretty much pissed at the world (okay, so mainly pissed at my cat for waking me up repeatedly lol). Then I weighed myself, which I usually do mid-week just to check in, and I've gained a 1/2 lb. since Monday so I'm a bit crabby over that too. But I'll just stay on plan and hopefully this will all even out. I went for an hour-long walk last night when I started feeling a little on-edge, so I'll just do that again today. I also see a lot of napping in my future for today :smile:

Thanks again, everyone