Hello

Options
How can I get more protein being vegetarian with restricted diet to dairy and gluten intolerant?
Tagged:

Replies

• Zinka61
    Zinka61 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Eat enough calories, concentrating on legumes, whole grains, nuts/seeds, vegetables and fruit. (Even veggies have protein). Adding nutritional yeast to dishes is another way of adding some protein. Minimally processed foods like tofu, tempeh and soy milk (you might considered B12 fortified soy milk if you aren't eating any animal products) are also high in protein. And if you eat eggs, those have protein too.
  • Zinka61
    Zinka61 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Just reread you are gluten intolerant. If you're sure you really need to avoid gluten, select gluten-free whole grains.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,387 Member
    Options
    I don't have your dietary limitations, but here are some things I've relied on as a vegetarian, back when I was trying to get adequate protein on reduced calories.

This thread helped me, and I think it could help you:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10247171/carbs-and-fats-are-cheap-heres-a-guide-to-getting-your-proteins-worth-fiber-also

As a vegetarian, you'll need to scroll past the mostly meaty/fishy things at the top of the linked spreadsheet, but you'll find plant foods further down the list.

You probably know that with plant protein sources, bioavailability and completeness (in essential amino acids, EAAs) is a consideration. I don't have specific advice on bioavailability, but it's a thing you can research for specific foods. (Look for information about PDCAAS or even better DIAAS.)

Basic definitions and explanation of PDCAAS and DIAAS here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protein_Digestibility_Corrected_Amino_Acid_Score
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digestible_Indispensable_Amino_Acid_Score

For EAA completeness, the spreadsheet in the above link has some basic info, and as a practical matter, routinely varying your protein sources widely will possibly be helpful. You can also use web searches to find protein complements, i.e., combinations of foods that are more complete than each food is individually. These needn't strictly always be combined all in one dish, but combinations in a meal or across the day may help a bit as well.

As another reference, this site is a good resource with helpful information about plant-based nutrition generally but also plant protein specifically:

https://veganhealth.org/

I know you said "vegetarian" not "vegan", but there's overlap of course. You probably know that there are some wild vegan advocacy sites on the internet that distort nutrition science to try to sell veganism. This site is not one of those. The content is by registered dietitians who are also vegan, and it's quite science-based.

Beyond that, if you can't hit your protein goals, protein supplements (protein powder or bars) are an option, as are some fake meats. There are fully plant based versions of those, probably some that would fit your other dietary restrictions. There again, look for EAA complete, bioavailable versions. Be careful about fake meats: Some are relatively high protein, but some are just meat-like in terms of how they can be used, and not high protein at all. Read labels! I personally don't find supplements/fake meats tasty or satisfying, so don't use them . . . but I don't think there's anything wrong with them if they help you.

It's always good to get some major protein source in each meal or snack, much as omnivores center meals on a meat or fish thing. For me, the major plant proteins are often tofu, tempeh, legumes/pulses of many types. (Some of those things are more complete or bioavailable than others.) If you can eat soy foods, some of those should work for you.

In addition to that, it helped me get adequate protein on reduced calories when I worked to get small amounts of protein in nearly everything I eat. There are slightly higher-protein breads, grains, veggies, fruits, snacks, flavoring ingredients, etc. (The spreadsheet mentioned above will help you find some.)

In those categories, some things that help me are edamame/soy pasta, dry-roasted soybeans or crispy broad beans/lentils/chickpeas for snacks, and flavoring items like miso, nutritional yeast, peanut butter powder or almond butter powder. Seeds or nuts can be added in small amounts for some crunch and healthy fats as well as a small protein contribution (but they're calorie dense, so care is needed).

For me, adding some of those things in various places in my eating patterns was a help. Those small amounts of protein from many sources add up by the end of the day.

I hope this may help. If you have any specific questions you think I might be able to help with, please follow up with a reply here. Best wishes!
  • MaddawgMadsen
    MaddawgMadsen Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I have had periods of vegetarianism and am also both gluten-free (intolerant) and lactose sensitive. I love the Orgain brand of protein powders. They really help increase protein consumption while vegetarian. It's never been a staple, but is really helpful on the days that are a struggle.