New here

Options
Ive been training fir a certain job recently and have been wanting a little bit if, well everything.

Im able to run a mile in a little under six minutes but cant run more than three before I’m spent.

I can hold my breath underwater for about a minute and have been able to for about three months now. I cant seem to increase the time.

I workout often and have an extreme training program. Im 5’10” and 150 lbs. im trying to get to 170 and still be able to increase strength while also increasing lung capacity and LDT (Long Distance Training)

Any advice would be grateful.
Tagged:

Replies

• sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,621 Member
    Options
    Honestly, if you increase from 150 to 170.... that's going to be almost pure fat, which will negatively impact your LDT bigtime.
  • RussianIdiot19
    RussianIdiot19 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Right, i have thought of that and I’ve decreased my fat intake to 50 grams per day. A lot of that is from the almonds I’ve incorporated into my diet (about 40g come from those alone while the other ten or so come from meats.)

Any advice on building muscle mass through diet? I work out about 5 days a week and run 1 mile after every workout so ive got the exercise part down.
  • sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,621 Member
    Options
    Right, i have thought of that and I’ve decreased my fat intake to 50 grams per day. A lot of that is from the almonds I’ve incorporated into my diet (about 40g come from those alone while the other ten or so come from meats.)

Any advice on building muscle mass through diet? I work out about 5 days a week and run 1 mile after every workout so ive got the exercise part down.

My opinion is that as long as you're getting at least 1 gram of protein/lb of body weight, that should be good.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,234 Member
    Options

Sadly, there's nothing you can eat, in the absence of an adequately challenging exercise stimulus, that will build muscle. It's the exercise challenge to existing strength that triggers the body to build new muscle fibers. You can best support that with good overall nutrition (especially but not exclusively ample protein) and a small/moderate calorie surplus.

Absent the exercise stimulus, you're almost certainly going to be adding fat.

The amount you exercise is less important than the nature of the exercise. What's your strength program? Is that the 5 days a week? If so, I hope there's some kind of split vs. same muscle groups every day. Is it progressive? Etc.

Best wishes!
  • RussianIdiot19
    RussianIdiot19 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Ah, workout program, if i showed it here, it would take up so much room. Heres the edited version

Monday:
    1 mile run before workout
    legs

Tuesday:
    1 mile run before wokout
    Chest

Wednesday:
    1 mile run before workout
    Back

Thursday:
    Resting

Friday:
    1mile run before workout
    Shoulders

Saturday:
    Full body or HIIT workout
    Walk 3 miles incline +40lbs weighted vest

Sunday:
    Run 3 miles (morning)
    Walk 3 miles +40lbs weighted vest (afternoon)
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,234 Member
    Options
    I'm not the best person to opine on this (by far), but I'm skeptical based on that level of detail that you would be hitting each muscle group the optimal number of times per week for best progress on that schedule. You didn't say whether it's progressive, but I'll assume that it is. I hope someone with better strength training credentials than I will chime in here.