Is my metabolism screwed or is that a myth?

Options
A bit of background - I’m 27 and when I was 22-24 I was super healthy, weight lifting 4/5 times a week, eating well, great physique. At some point I started having really bad depression, which lead to me basically dropping all physical activity and healthy eating habits, and started drinking quite heavily. I finally feel in a place mentally where I’m ready to address all this, I started a new medication for my depression which seems to be really helping, and made the decision to reduce my alcohol intake last week (which will also help with weight loss).

I currently have about 20 pounds to lose, but will be happy with 15 to start with. My question is around my metabolism and whether I’m going to have trouble losing weight. For the past 3 years I’ve had really irregular meal times and really irregular daily calorie intakes (one day could be 1000, one day could be 3000+ if I’ve drank a bottle or more of wine), will this mean it’s harder or easier for me to lose weight? I imagine this has had some effect on my metabolism.

Replies

• Stern0429
    Stern0429 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Its hard to say that if your metabolism is screwed without some data.
    But to lose weight you just have to stay in a calorie deficit.
    I would recommend you getting yourself a smart scale that can measure your BMR(metabolic rate).
    Once you know your BMR just minus around 300-500 calories and that would be your total daily intake.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    Your metabolism is fine - most of what you read is not grounded in fact. Here's a good article: https://www.aworkoutroutine.com/how-to-increase-metabolism/
  • herringboxes
    herringboxes Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Your metabolism is fine.

However, be aware that psychotropic medications can make it easier to gain weight. I’m not sure the exact reasons for this but they can change your appetite, both in terms of what you like/crave and in terms of how much you want.

That’s not to discourage you from taking the medication if it’s working for you. Just be aware of it, stick with the lowest effective dose, and consider whether you want to be on it long term or use it to help you get into a better space.

Good luck!
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,023 Member
    Options
    Your fine, don't let that get in your head. It's about happiness this time, and I hope you find some, share with a friend. Cheers.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    Your metabolism is fine.

However, be aware that psychotropic medications can make it easier to gain weight. I’m not sure the exact reasons for this but they can change your appetite, both in terms of what you like/crave and in terms of how much you want.

That’s not to discourage you from taking the medication if it’s working for you. Just be aware of it, stick with the lowest effective dose, and consider whether you want to be on it long term or use it to help you get into a better space.

Good luck!

Yes, I was sad when I had to stop taking the antidepressant Remeron. It worked well as an AD and helped me sleep, but it spiked my appetite fiercely. The AD Wellbutrin, on the other hand, is half of the weight loss drug Contrave.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,884 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Your metabolism is fine - most of what you read is not grounded in fact. Here's a good article: https://www.aworkoutroutine.com/how-to-increase-metabolism/

I like that article, but as one of those annoying pedantic people, it bothers me that he includes NEAT as part of "metabolism".😆

NEAT obviously is a big part of our calorie needs, though - second only to metabolism for many people, and often a bigger factor than exercise. Also widely misunderstood/unappreciated.
  • neanderthin
    edited July 2023
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

I like that article, but as one of those annoying pedantic people, it bothers me that he includes NEAT as part of "metabolism".😆

NEAT obviously is a big part of our calorie needs, though - second only to metabolism for many people, and often a bigger factor than exercise. Also widely misunderstood/unappreciated.

Interesting. Where does anabolism and catabolism fall within your definition of metabolism, curious. Cheers

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,715 Member
    Options
    Metabolism doesn't change much at all. It's based on your own physical activity to raise it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 35+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • foliographerdoha
    foliographerdoha Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    You should concentrate on your non exercise activities your NEAT (Non exercise activity thermogenesis) level will be elevated and you will feel energized. eg. replace your chair with gym ball keep staying and moving more often try to do as much as small lifts throughout the day ! Good luck ✌🏽
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,884 Member
    Options

Interesting. Where does anabolism and catabolism fall within your definition of metabolism, curious. Cheers

Since this seems tangential to the OP's thread, I don't really understand why you're asking the question, unless you think I'm getting something wrong here for OP's purposes. If that's so, it'd be helpful IMO if you'd say what the issue is.

Loosely, thinking of metabolism as a summation of chemical processes and energy needs in cellular activity, anabolism and catabolism are main classes of activity, the building up to bigger molecules and the breaking down to smaller ones. Of course NEAT involves cellular activity.

My point, in saying it bothers me that he includes NEAT in "metabolism" in that particular article, is a practical matter. I think when people are asking about "metabolic damage", or how to "improve metabolism", they're usually implicitly asking about some potential way in which cellular activity may become less efficient or more efficient.

Often, I suspect the underlying hope is for some hack - supplement or eating strategy or something - that will affect that efficiency. I don't think they're looking for "move more in daily life to improve your metabolism".

Increasing NEAT is a reasonable strategy to burn more calories, of course. I just think that in this kind of context, lumping NEAT into "metabolism" muddies the waters. Could just be my weird bias, of course.
  • neanderthin
    Options

Since this seems tangential to the OP's thread, I don't really understand why you're asking the question, unless you think I'm getting something wrong here for OP's purposes. If that's so, it'd be helpful IMO if you'd say what the issue is.

Loosely, thinking of metabolism as a summation of chemical processes and energy needs in cellular activity, anabolism and catabolism are main classes of activity, the building up to bigger molecules and the breaking down to smaller ones. Of course NEAT involves cellular activity.

My point, in saying it bothers me that he includes NEAT in "metabolism" in that particular article, is a practical matter. I think when people are asking about "metabolic damage", or how to "improve metabolism", they're usually implicitly asking about some potential way in which cellular activity may become less efficient or more efficient.

Often, I suspect the underlying hope is for some hack - supplement or eating strategy or something - that will affect that efficiency. I don't think they're looking for "move more in daily life to improve your metabolism".

Increasing NEAT is a reasonable strategy to burn more calories, of course. I just think that in this kind of context, lumping NEAT into "metabolism" muddies the waters. Could just be my weird bias, of course.

I took it at face value with you implying neat was not part of metabolism.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,025 Member
    Options

I'm going to say nobody's really wrong here.

NEAT is the incremental expenditure from non-exercise activity on top of your RMR. It's not the total of RMR + expenditure from non-exercise activity on top of your RMR. Since all energy expenditure ultimately involves the chemical processes that provide the energy, NEAT is "funded" by your metabolism, but I don't think it's really what most people are referring to when they talk about ruining or "screwing" their metabolism.
  • neanderthin
    edited July 2023
    Options

NEAT is the incremental expenditure from non-exercise activity on top of your RMR. It's not the total of RMR + expenditure from non-exercise activity on top of your RMR. Since all energy expenditure ultimately involves the chemical processes that provide the energy, NEAT is "funded" by your metabolism, but I don't think it's really what most people are referring to when they talk about ruining or "screwing" their metabolism.

Metabolism is all the chemical and physiological reactions occurring in a living organism that are necessary to maintain life and neat is fundamental to those principles. Do different degree's of neat effect our metabolism differently, sure, no argument there.

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,025 Member
    Options

Metabolism is all the chemical and physiological reactions occurring in a living organism that are necessary to maintain life and neat is fundamental to those principles. Do different degree's of neat effect our metabolism differently, sure, no argument there.

You seem to be saying you disagree with me, but I don't see how. I said NEAT is "funded" by your metabolism (i.e., that's how you get the energy represented by NEAT). Not quite sure what your point is.
  • neanderthin
    edited July 2023
    Options
    A bit of background - I’m 27 and when I was 22-24 I was super healthy, weight lifting 4/5 times a week, eating well, great physique. At some point I started having really bad depression, which lead to me basically dropping all physical activity and healthy eating habits, and started drinking quite heavily. I finally feel in a place mentally where I’m ready to address all this, I started a new medication for my depression which seems to be really helping, and made the decision to reduce my alcohol intake last week (which will also help with weight loss).

I currently have about 20 pounds to lose, but will be happy with 15 to start with. My question is around my metabolism and whether I’m going to have trouble losing weight. For the past 3 years I’ve had really irregular meal times and really irregular daily calorie intakes (one day could be 1000, one day could be 3000+ if I’ve drank a bottle or more of wine), will this mean it’s harder or easier for me to lose weight? I imagine this has had some effect on my metabolism.

Your 27 and worrying about whether drinking wine or irregular daily calorie intake is going to effect your engine (METABOLISM) is probably wasted at this stage of your life and it's going to feed your depression. What we should do to maximize our health for longevity it a different conversation. Eating healthier which for me is eating more of a natural whole food diet is a good starting point which you can tweak. I would suggest if your not doing any and if completely sedentary to include at least 90 minutes of exercise a week somewhere, you know 3 times 30 minutes and generally after 6 months or so people generally feel better physically and mentally and more inclined to increase the time, you know this, you've been there and the effects it has on mental health is huge. Don't be so hard on yourself, at 27 you have time for adjustments that can and do make a considerable difference without feeling your safety is compromised in the present. imo. cheers
  • neanderthin
    edited July 2023
    Options

You seem to be saying you disagree with me, but I don't see how. I said NEAT is "funded" by your metabolism (i.e., that's how you get the energy represented by NEAT). Not quite sure what your point is.

The energy we get is from the nutrients in food that is then converted into ATP by every cell in the body by the mitochondria and without food there is no living organism or metabolism and without neat we can't procure or consume food and why I said neat and let me include food into that mix is fundamental to metabolism. Anne suggested that neat was not part of metabolism and I said it was, it's not that complicated. Cheers.