Options
2»

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,951 Member
    Options
    sollyn23l2 wrote: »
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    I've encountered the "intuitive eating" approach in some dietitian-driven contexts, too . . . but in the cases I've seen, it's been paired with a pretty strong recommendation to focus on lots of veggies, fruits, whole grains, lean meat/fish; limit added sugars; increase protein; limit ultra-processed foods; and that sort of thing.

For example, the eating side of AARP's current weight management recommendations for seniors is structured that way. (There's a book and a web site.)

"Intuitive eating" coupled with "fill your cupboards/freezer with junk food" is a variation I hadn't seen, at least not attributed to dietitians, until just now.

One if the steps of intuitive eating is that you must keep at least one of your "trigger" foods in your house and available at all times, and give yourself unfettered access and permission to eat it.

[snip]

I'm finally able to eat dark chocolate mint M&Ms in moderation, but it took me thousands of calories to get there, so I'm not sure I can count this as a win.
  • sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,634 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    sollyn23l2 wrote: »
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    I've encountered the "intuitive eating" approach in some dietitian-driven contexts, too . . . but in the cases I've seen, it's been paired with a pretty strong recommendation to focus on lots of veggies, fruits, whole grains, lean meat/fish; limit added sugars; increase protein; limit ultra-processed foods; and that sort of thing.

For example, the eating side of AARP's current weight management recommendations for seniors is structured that way. (There's a book and a web site.)

"Intuitive eating" coupled with "fill your cupboards/freezer with junk food" is a variation I hadn't seen, at least not attributed to dietitians, until just now.

One if the steps of intuitive eating is that you must keep at least one of your "trigger" foods in your house and available at all times, and give yourself unfettered access and permission to eat it.

[snip]

I'm finally able to eat dark chocolate mint M&Ms in moderation, but it took me thousands of calories to get there, so I'm not sure I can count this as a win.

Absolutely. I wouldn't say intuitive eating is good, bad, or indifferent. As with any approach, it depends on one's personality and goals.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,723 Member
    Options
    A hard contest and a most impressive win!
  • peggy_polenta
    peggy_polenta Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Diet is a noun ... not just a verb.
  • Opalescent_Topaz
    Opalescent_Topaz Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Any medical professional that doesn't align with your health goals warrants seeking a second opinion.

You are also not under some sort of spell, I presume. You didn't have to eat the food you knew was unhealthy. I saw your other post. You know what junk food is.