Prep for weight loss surgery

I have until Oct to get down to 292. My meds make me allergic to the sun so outside active I can't do. Not too active don't know where to start. I'm following 1500 Cal diet. Any support is appreciated constructive criticism is appreciated

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,784 Member
    Strictly speaking, exercise is optional for weight loss. It can be achieved entirely on the eating side of the equation.

However, exercise is good for a body. If you're looking for less-intense activities, there are things like walking in a mall or on an indoor track, swimming (or even just water walking) in an indoor pool, using gym machines at a low/slow intensity (exercise bike, treadmill, etc.), low-intensity exercises on video (lots of free content on YouTube, at all levels of intensity, including very low intensity for rehab and such), beginner yoga classes or videos, etc.
  • Becci_86
    Becci_86 Posts: 10 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Strictly speaking, exercise is optional for weight loss. It can be achieved entirely on the eating side of the equation.

However, exercise is good for a body. If you're looking for less-intense activities, there are things like walking in a mall or on an indoor track, swimming (or even just water walking) in an indoor pool, using gym machines at a low/slow intensity (exercise bike, treadmill, etc.), low-intensity exercises on video (lots of free content on YouTube, at all levels of intensity, including very low intensity for rehab and such), beginner yoga classes or videos, etc.

Thank you for the advice.
  • herringboxes
    herringboxes Posts: 259 Member
    How long have you been on the 1500 calories, and how is it working for you?

Exercise is very good for you, but if you have a lot going on it might be better to just focus on the nutrition for now.
  • Becci_86
    How long have you been on the 1500 calories, and how is it working for you?

Exercise is very good for you, but if you have a lot going on it might be better to just focus on the nutrition for now.

I've been doing it for awhile. Like I said I cheat sometimes. I've been on mfp since 2016 but deleted account and started over. I'm down3.3lbs
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,332 Member
    Are you getting any counseling alongside the calorie restriction? For me, it was really important to dig in to the Reasons I Ate...when I didn't need the food. 1500 calories is sufficient, but I bet it doesn't feel like that to you.

I adopted the mantra of, "If hunger isn't the Problem, food isn't the Solution," because I ate all the time whether I needed the food or not. It was a hobby, a passion, a cure for boredom, frustration, anger. A friend for comfort. A way to celebrate or to reward myself. TV companionship. Habit.

All those things have to be dealt with without food. If they aren't, then the surgery isn't going to cure the problem permanently. There are physiological changes that have happened due to the hormonal effect of the body fat.

I wish you much success. It's a battle for your life that you CAN win, but it's not an easy battle. Put on your armor!
  • PeachHibiscus
    PeachHibiscus Posts: 163 Member
    When my husband had VSG, everyone in his bariatric program had to lose weight prior to surgery, whether they were having the sleeve or the bypass, and it was mainly to make the surgery safer. Part of the program included nutritional counseling and they provided the pre-surgery diet they wanted patients to follow. It was very low carb as one goal was to shrink the liver to lessen the risk of nicking it during surgery.

Do you have access to nutritional counseling through your surgeon or bariatric center? They should really be providing you with guidance before your surgery.
  • Becci_86
    Are you getting any counseling alongside the calorie restriction? For me, it was really important to dig in to the Reasons I Ate...when I didn't need the food. 1500 calories is sufficient, but I bet it doesn't feel like that to you.

I adopted the mantra of, "If hunger isn't the Problem, food isn't the Solution," because I ate all the time whether I needed the food or not. It was a hobby, a passion, a cure for boredom, frustration, anger. A friend for comfort. A way to celebrate or to reward myself. TV companionship. Habit.

All those things have to be dealt with without food. If they aren't, then the surgery isn't going to cure the problem permanently. There are physiological changes that have happened due to the hormonal effect of the body fat.

I wish you much success. It's a battle for your life that you CAN win, but it's not an easy battle. Put on your armor!

I'm in the middle of psychological changes the nutritionist does it as well in program im in it's a 6 month process before qualifying
  • Becci_86
    When my husband had VSG, everyone in his bariatric program had to lose weight prior to surgery, whether they were having the sleeve or the bypass, and it was mainly to make the surgery safer. Part of the program included nutritional counseling and they provided the pre-surgery diet they wanted patients to follow. It was very low carb as one goal was to shrink the liver to lessen the risk of nicking it during surgery.

Do you have access to nutritional counseling through your surgeon or bariatric center? They should really be providing you with guidance before your surgery.

They are for food and psych but exercise is 3x a week 15 min
  • marvel927
    marvel927 Posts: 13 Member
    What’s your starting weight? Maybe the calories are too little for you. Also are you eating every 2-3 hrs, high protein foods? Avoid high carb food for breakfast and stick to protein and healthy fats for breakfast. This is the key. It will regulate your blood sugar increasing weight loss. Many factors other than exercise contribute to weight loss journey. Exercise is to keep you healthy and disease free.
  • zebasschick
    zebasschick Posts: 1,067 Member
    an exercise bike is a good indoor workout. when i had leg problems, i could pedal at lowest resistance and gradually built up. it took over a year, but if all i do is pedal at low resistance, i can do an hour now, way up from the 10 to 15 minutes i did when i was starting.
  • Becci_86
    Thank you all for help suggestions and support. I'm down 3.3lbs since last week.