Got a suggestion on how to improve MyFitnessPal? Share it in this category or vote to tell us what you think of other people’s suggestions. Please be sure to review the Feature Suggestion submissions guidelines.

Track exercise calories based on weight and height

Options
Sometimes when i add in my exercise i notice the number of calories i burn seems way too high. I am 177lbs and 5'2 in height . I just walked for 1 hour and 38 minutes at mod speed and the calculator says i burnt over 500 calories. I could be wrong but for some reason I feel like this does not feel accurate . Is this feature available or could this be added later on sometime ?.
Tagged:
3 votes

Active · Last Updated

Replies

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,114 Member
    Options
    The exercise calories already take into account your personal stats (same walk gives me 338kcal).
    MFP'S problem for walking calories is that they use the gross number instead of net (double counting BMR calories).

You can always look up the correct number and replace it in your diary: select the Net calories option in this calculator https://exrx.net/Calculators/WalkRunMETs
  • HamsterCakes
    HamsterCakes Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much ! :smile:
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,628 Member
    Options
    Actually MFP ***should** automatically calculate net calories based on your settings.

The correct deduction (for MFP) is NOT the exRx one because exRx shows the true net exercise burn from exercise deducting 1x BMR minutes from the gross

However MFP splits your selected activity setting into 1440 minutes throughout the day.

There could be an argument made that the correct amount to deduct for your 1 hour walk is the 1.25x BMR (or the 1.4x, 1.6x, or 1.8x) assigned to the time slot.

Of course if you truly were active without the exercise (and did not log that activity otherwise during the day) then the 1.6 should still apply because it would actually be accounting for things that took place at other times, while your net would be the exRx number

I just find it easier to off load the calculation to a fitness tracker!🤷‍♂️