Exotic Meats - horse etc

Options
RBrigzy
RBrigzy Posts: 152 Member
After the various horse meat scandals in the UK I was alerted to the fact that horse meat is lower in fat and probably better for you generally than many beef products.

I have found a web site where I can order all sorts of horse meat things a well as zebra :

http://www.exoticmeats.co.uk/horse-meat.html

I am wondering if anyone has experience of horse or can recommend other less common meats with a health advantage.

Cheers

Replies

• over_oxers
    over_oxers Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I have never eaten horse but can tell you that until a few years ago the US was the largest exporter of horses to the EU for meat. Horses are not raised as food animals in most parts of the world including the US. There is no regulation on medications, dewormers etc that these animals consume. So apart from being am avid equestrian I wouldn't eat horse for these reasons.
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    Ostrich . I eat it daily

As well as Kudu biltong/jerky
  • RBrigzy
    Options
    I have never eaten horse but can tell you that until a few years ago the US was the largest exporter of horses to the EU for meat. Horses are not raised as food animals in most parts of the world including the US. There is no regulation on medications, dewormers etc that these animals consume. So apart from being am avid equestrian I wouldn't eat horse for these reasons.

Good point
  • RBrigzy
    Options
    Ostrich . I eat it daily

Do you find it online or in your local shops?
    Thanks
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    Ostrich . I eat it daily

Do you find it online or in your local shops?
    Thanks

Local shops

Don't know if you have woolworths around you . That's where I get my Ostrich meat from
  • Ranocchia
    Ranocchia Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I ate it
    it is quite common in some areas in italy. It is not bad.. although I don't like it so much because it has a bit of irony taste.
    It is actually often used for people with anemia who need iron in their diet
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Why would it be better for you because it's leaner!?
  • helpfit101
    helpfit101 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    We used to eat horse meat just occasionally when I was young and it was considered a treat because horses are more expensive to keep than cows I guess. And there are fewer of them being kept for meat.

It tasted pretty gamey, very tasty I have to say! Yummy!
  • BunBun85
    BunBun85 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I'd love to try horse! We eat a lot of reindeer and moose, sometimes whale.
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    I was tricked into eating horse when I was a kid. It was really yummy!
  • Chica_de_Aqua
    Options
    Avoid it -- previous contributor was 100% correct regarding horse -- and I do say this with the bias of also being an avid equestrian. Here is an informative link.

http://www.livescience.com/38829-horsemeat-trade-leaves-consumers-wondering.html
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Apparently, rabbit is fat-free if you really need to avoid fat.

S'right. That's the worry with the horse that was found in "beef" burgers and "beef" lasagne from numerous established companies. It isn't the fact that it's horse (fine animals that they are), it's the fact that there will be traces of medicines not suitable for humans. Bute, for instance, is helpful to horses but causes cancer in humans.
  • MoRiv1986
    MoRiv1986 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    They say dog meat is good for you. The people here eat it as a delicacy. They put it in soups. Enjoy.
  • RBrigzy
    Options
    I see what you mean about the drugs risk - and that is unnerving.

Is there anywhere you can buy where there is no such risk or some controls in place?
  • KeithChanning
    KeithChanning Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I have eaten, and enjoyed, venison in UK, horse in France; zebra, wildebeest, springbok, kudu and other antelope in Tanzania, Kenya and South Africa. Generally, all of these animals run, unlike cattle, pigs and sheep that are mostly sedentary. They develop muscle rather than fat, and thus are significantly leaner, as well as having a nice gamey taste. They also, for the most part, have a natural, free life, and a quick death.

I believe I once ate elephant when I visited a village in Tanzania - not totally sure. Whatever it was, I wouldn't want to try it again. It was served with ughali (maize flour paste) and a very thin liquid.
  • RBrigzy
    Options
    Apparently, rabbit is fat-free if you really need to avoid fat.
    Yep I have been trying rabbit in the slow cooker with mushrooms etc - that is awesome, reminds me there is one left in the freezer in fact...
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Ostrich . I eat it daily

Ostrich is very good.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    I see what you mean about the drugs risk - and that is unnerving.

Is there anywhere you can buy where there is no such risk or some controls in place?

France sounds like a good shout: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/france/9889426/Frances-horsemeat-industry-races-back.html
  • RBrigzy
    Options
    ...They also, for the most part, have a natural, free life, and a quick death...

That has to be a very good reason to be open minded..
  • ColinJacksonMusic
    Options
    Kvalkjøtt (whale) my absolute favourite meat. Very hard to get it in England, however.