Exotic Meats - horse etc

Options

Replies

• RBrigzy
    RBrigzy Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    They say dog meat is good for you. The people here eat it as a delicacy. They put it in soups. Enjoy.
    For some reason (I know it is illogical to be selective) but I don't think I could stomach that..
  • JCM1969
    JCM1969 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    We primarily eat deer, elk and antelope. It is much leaner...
    We hunt and butcher it ourselves so we have control over what is put into the burger... ( a lot of places add fat to make it taste more "beef like") so if you are buying online watch out for that.
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    I've had ostrich, elk, deer, alligator, javelina (peccary), rabbit, and bison. Ostrich is definitely a good one, but so rarely find it anywhere.

ETA: and Kangaroo once.
  • KarlaH9801
    KarlaH9801 Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I live in the Pacific Northwest, America, and we've had everything from grouse, emu, and rabbit to venison, moose, and bear. If you don't particularly care for gamey-ness, soak your meat overnight in whole milk. I know it sounds weird, but it totally works. Oh, we hunt, but we can purchase buffalo and emu in butcher shops.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    I've had ostrich, elk, deer, alligator, javelina (peccary), rabbit, and bison. Ostrich is definitely a good one, but so rarely find it anywhere.

ETA: and Kangaroo once.

Mmmm....gator....*insert Homer girgle here*
  • BrotherBill913
    BrotherBill913 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    They say dog meat is good for you. The people here eat it as a delicacy. They put it in soups. Enjoy.

I spent a year in Korea as well. do meat is not a delicasy. It is for sub-standeard living conditions. If you really like eating it stay there.....
  • rowanwood
    rowanwood Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I would think options like elk and deer would be easier to come by and they are even more regulated for farming than beef cattle are. And of course, wild meat is drug free. And delicious.
  • LeoGirl30
    Options
    After the various horse meat scandals in the UK I was alerted to the fact that horse meat is lower in fat and probably better for you generally than many beef products.

I have found a web site where I can order all sorts of horse meat things a well as zebra :

http://www.exoticmeats.co.uk/horse-meat.html

I am wondering if anyone has experience of horse or can recommend other less common meats with a health advantage.

Cheers

I've heard buffalo and elk are suppose to be healthier than beef
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options

I spent a year in Korea as well. do meat is not a delicasy. It is for sub-standeard living conditions. If you really like eating it stay there.....

Is it true that they think beating the animal and death by hanging makes the meat taste better? Because that would be a reason for me NOT to advocate eating dog meat.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    After the various horse meat scandals in the UK I was alerted to the fact that horse meat is lower in fat and probably better for you generally than many beef products.

I have found a web site where I can order all sorts of horse meat things a well as zebra :

http://www.exoticmeats.co.uk/horse-meat.html

I am wondering if anyone has experience of horse or can recommend other less common meats with a health advantage.

Cheers

I've heard buffalo and elk are suppose to be healthier than beef

All of this, of course, assumes that animal fat is bad for you.
  • statickey
    statickey Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Is Buffalo exotic?

Its pretty good.
  • MagicalLeopleurodon
    Options
    I really like squirrel, alligator, rabbit (wild), deer.
  • appygirl84
    appygirl84 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I have never eaten horse but can tell you that until a few years ago the US was the largest exporter of horses to the EU for meat. Horses are not raised as food animals in most parts of the world including the US. There is no regulation on medications, dewormers etc that these animals consume. So apart from being am avid equestrian I wouldn't eat horse for these reasons.

I agree.

I will however eat: Deer, Rabbit, Nilgai, etc.

And yes alligator is good... but I can't find it very often.
  • mrmagee3
    mrmagee3 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Is Buffalo exotic?

Nah, I live about 80 miles away. It sucks there.
  • InForBacon
    InForBacon Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    IN...for meat
  • Factory_Reset
    Factory_Reset Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    IN...for meat

Me too
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,658 Member
    Options
    Goat is lean too.
  • CuteMonkeyGal
    CuteMonkeyGal Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I've had buffalo and love it. Use it like ground beef.

Tried had venison/deer. Do not like that at all.

I've had alligator on a pizza before. Kinda like chicken, but probably not something I'd order again.

ETA: I have had goat meat in a stew. It was pretty good especially with the potatoes. It was a homemade Jamaican dish that my sorta cousin's wife brought to Thanksgiving last year.
  • SmileCozYouCan
    SmileCozYouCan Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Well I looked at the website and it doesn't seem too bad, but I'll stick to chicken fillets.