Membership in an MFP "Group"

Options
chris_in_cal
chris_in_cal Posts: 2,239 Member
m9gpw736o82b.png

--
Curious on how to find MFP Groups in which you are a member? MFP does not make "Groups" easy. I argue they make it hard. Look for your "Quick Links" section, then click "My Groups" then you can select. Why three clicks and buried in "Quick Links"? Why don't your groups come up on your feed? I don't know, ask Mrs. MFP.

Replies

• chris_in_cal
    edited August 2023
    Options
    99% of all MFP groups are abandoned long ago. Ghost towns of past good ideas. They can be a vital things...but typically they are not.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,177 Member
    Options
    When you're a member of a group, that group or those groups are shown at the top of the groups page.

But I agree that there is a lack of interaction and information: no notifications for new topics in our groups means many groups often aren't very active.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,436 Member
    Options
    Community is not MFP, technically. Community is Vanilla Forums, with which MFP contracts in some way. IOW, MFP doesn't control the software, though they likely have some influence or input into feature requests for future releases and that sort of thing . . . kind of like we have input into what MFP does. How effective that is in either case . . . is an intellectual exercise left to the reader. :D
  • chris_in_cal
    Options
    MFP pays a contractor to operate it. As an exercise I can still lay the blame at their feet. Pay a different contractor if you want, run it internally, drop it completely....it's MFPs baby.
  • sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    MFP pays a contractor to operate it. As an exercise I can still lay the blame at their feet. Pay a different contractor if you want, run it internally, drop it completely....it's MFPs baby.

True. Unfortunately, MFP doesn't make any money from the community part of the app. They're mostly in it to upsell people on workout plans and added tracking abilities that they put in "premium". They really don't have much investment in whether or not people are using the community or groups section. And the vast majority of people that use MFP don't use the community or groups. They just track.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,988 Member
    Options
    sollyn23l2 wrote: »

True. Unfortunately, MFP doesn't make any money from the community part of the app. They're mostly in it to upsell people on workout plans and added tracking abilities that they put in "premium". They really don't have much investment in whether or not people are using the community or groups section. And the vast majority of people that use MFP don't use the community or groups. They just track.

I would think MFP would at least get a cut of the ad dollars on the community website.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,436 Member
    Options

I have no argument with laying the blame at their feet. It's easy to underestimate the complexity of the application space and context. The switch to an alternative provider would be a huge upheaval - users have bailed (or said they would) with much more trivial-impact changes. I'm sure there are times when they'd love to drop it . . . but I think that would cause substantial exodus as well.