Did you freak out over many decisions about dieting at the beginning?

Options
2»

Replies

• zebasschick
    zebasschick Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I think I'm just stressed because I'm not used to eating to lose weight over a long period of time, I'm asking if it gets more relaxed over time when you know what to expect.

for me, it mostly gets emotionally easier and more relaxed. once in a while, i have a moment, but it's less and less frequent.
  • Corina1143
    Corina1143 Posts: 3,089 Member
    Options
    I am an accountant. I have an accountant 's personality. When I started, I thought it was important to get calories and macros almost exactly right èvery day, but every meal and every snack as well. It took a very smart dietician to teach me to relax a little without going completely 'round the bend. She told me to set my week, (mine was always Saturday to Friday) and allow myself one cheat meal a week. If I had a treat meal on Saturday, I couldn't have another one until next week--Saturday or later. It was a very good lesson, and yes, I've relaxed a lot since then. But overall, I do just as well now as I did then. It's just easier because I know so much more. And I've come to realize it's not all or nothing. If today's a bust, I can still save the week. If the weeks a bust--such as vacation or illness--it's only a week. No problem, just so there is much more time moving forward than spinning my wheels.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,806 Member
    edited August 2023
    Options
    This is such a good question @sugarfreesquirrel

For me, it has gotten easier, but tougher at the same time.

Three years now into maintenance, I still track my food and log very carefully and very honestly. I do not want to put any of The Weight back on, at least not in a “fat” capacity.

Specifically choosing to add weight back on to accommodate muscle gain was a seismic mind shift.

Lately, I’m trying to look at it a little differently. Apple says my (already frenetic) exercise minutes are up considerably from this time last year. I’ve been experiencing actual hunger, for the first time since maybe the beginning week or two of weight loss.

I think I’m very much underfueling.

So I’m experimenting right now, listening to my body.

A few days a week, I run low on calories, just don’t feel like or don’t have time to eat them all.

By the weekend, if the hunger kicks in, I’m treating myself to anything I want. I’m not going buck-wild, mind you. But if my body is saying “Hey! Numpty! Feed me! I need some refueling over here!”, I’m doing it.

It’s been kind of a freedom. I know how to rein it in if the weight starts to go up.

But what I’ve learned throughout is that I’m always flexing my calorie counting muscle, and that the goal is to make it work for me and not some fixed, static plan. Have done that and it worked great and served a valuable purpose, but am in a flex period right now, while still totally prepared to go back to stricter “rules” should the need arise.

I’m in charge. Or better yet, I’m in control and that’s a powerful thing.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,306 Member
    Options

Staying as consistent as possible is the key to success. You won't lose weight automatically all the time.. you will make mistakes and have slip ups..
    But if you keep getting back on track and being consistent for longer periods than when you mess up.. you will lose weight and move toward your goal.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    edited September 2023
    Options
    Do you get used to it, and start to relax about fluctuations in calories and weight on the scales? I've seen people here who will have one high calorie day or more in a week then stick to the original plan the rest of the week and be fine with it. I feel like I need to make up for high calorie days on other days, like tomorrow I want to skip my cheat meal because I am indulging big time tonight.
    Password for; I'm giving myself permission to eat what I want and how much. The effect on our satiety hormones can be almost drug inducing for some and difficult to get off that roller coaster. There is no relaxation for worrying about large daily calorie fluctuation and some would consider this in "eating disorder territory" when trying to lose weight and I'm not saying you have one per se, just to be clear. imo
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,806 Member
    edited September 2023
    Options
    Can I just interject how much I hate the term “cheat meal”? It imbues food and actions with a host of negative connotations.

If you’re banking calories from earlier in the week, it’s not a cheat. If you’re not and are truly “cheating”, well….🤦🏻‍♀️

Not aimed at you, Squirrely Just a generic bellyache.
  • Melwillbehealthy
    Melwillbehealthy Posts: 893 Member
    Options
    I’d like to try and answer your original question. I’ve been doing this for 6 months. I’ve gotten much better at it lately, than I was at the beginning. One thing I’ve noticed is that I’m much more relaxed about the whole thing now. I’m excited when I lose weight, but I can finally accept the scale’s fluctuations without too much angst. It took me awhile to be able to weigh in everyday and be honest about it. Joining a challenge on this site has allowed me to do that.
    There’s no ‘cheat’ in my vocabulary. I eat what I want and plan ahead as much as I can.
    However, I look at food very differently than I did 6 months ago. My health goals are serious and I’m committed to a long haul. I enjoy my food. I hope this answer helps.
  • MurphmomSparkles
    MurphmomSparkles Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    So much great advice on this thread. It is so easy to get discouraged and quit. Refusing to quit and getting up and doing your best the next day is the main thing. It's got to be from a place of self-love for it to work long-term. Part of that is refusing to let those negative emotions creep in. If the plan isn't doable, then it's not the right plan for you. Something else would work better. The more healthy decisions you make the stronger those mental muscles become and the easier it gets. You got this.