PCOS & Pre- Diabetic

Options
Hi, I’m on here trying to get help, and am honestly clueless. Around 2 years ago I was a completely healthy woman, perfect weight, and organs, I didn’t eat the best, but I didn’t eat the worst. I ended up randomly gaining 60+ pounds within the span of a year. I was still doing the same exact thing as before and was so confused. I ended up getting on birth control in hopes to regulate my period, but didn’t want any extra weight gain. I got a referral to an OB, and all she did was hand me some pills and let me go on about my way. I was on the BC for 2 years and it completely stopped my period. I got off of it around 8 months ago in hopes my period would come back, and it never did, so I got a referral to another OB. I went and found out I have PCOS which has caused my weight gain, and which lab work I also found out I am pre diabetic. I’m in shock, and still trying to wrap my head around things. I refuse to let myself rot all over my health and weight. I have no idea where to start or what to do, but I know something has to change. I was hoping to find some recipes, diet recommendations, workout recommendations, or maybe what worked for you. Please don’t judge me as this is already hard enough. Thank you!

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,896 Member
    edited August 2023
    Options
    I would recommend you contact a clinic that deals with metabolic syndrome and PCOS. For example in Canada there are around 5000 women Doctors in that field. All these clinics will adjust your carb intake mostly, so just a heads up. I wouldn't mess around. Blood glucose is diagnosed and said to be perfectly normal at 5.5 but we're Insulin Resistant and prediabetic at 5.7 and diabetic at 6.5 and that doesn't happen overnight. It manifests itself over decades and when the warning bell of 5.7 chime our pancreas has been dysfunctioning for quite a while and that's when a patient shows up on the radar with our Dr then letting us know, not the way to do healthcare and the vast majority haven't a clue about diabetes or PCOS anyway, just how to medicate it and one of the reasons we're in the state we are, and yourself. I was in a similar boat 12 years ago, not PCOS of course, I'm male, but getting towards prediabetic at 5.5 I'm now around 4.3 and have been for a decade. One thing I will suggest is exercise at least 3 times a week for 30 minutes minimum, this will in the long run help with IR making people more insulin sensitive and of course as we age exercise trumps diet in just about every category for mortality. Cheers.
  • wm3796
    wm3796 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    What has definitely shown to help with pre diabetes/ metabolic syndrome is intermittent fasting. If this is new to you just first start with eliminating snacks and stick with just 3 meals a day. Then start a daily 12 hour fast( example 7pm to 7 am) of no foods or caloric drinks. Then can add 1-2 hours to that window aiming for 16 to 18 hour fast. If you are currently eating lots of carbs this will be tough but if you start increasing good quality protein at each meal( aim for minimum 30g or more) this helps with feeling full. Good luck! Pre diabetes is not something to ignore for sure.. has lots of other risks associated with it including heart disease and chronic diseases. Stay committed and you can reverse this!
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,111 Member
    Options
    I'm not usually one advocating for low carb (far from it, even), but I have heard that it can be beneficial for PCOS. I don't know if you need to go super low carb, but reducing them might be worth a shot.
  • zebasschick
    zebasschick Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    Lietchi wrote: »
    I'm not usually one advocating for low carb (far from it, even), but I have heard that it can be beneficial for PCOS. I don't know if you need to go super low carb, but reducing them might be worth a shot.

low carb helped keep my blood sugar down without meds while i was sorting type 2 diabetes out. i didn't have fruit, fruit juice, or anything with sugar in it, and kept my carbs as low as i comfortably could. eating more frequent, smaller meals also helped as less calories per meal heled kept the post-meal blood sugar spikes lower.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    Here is a nuanced discussion about carbs and PCOS, with a brief mention of IF (don't): https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/wellness-and-prevention/pcos-diet