Weight loss

Options
I’m currently new to fitness pal I only started on August 3 but I’ve already lost 14 pounds. My question is does intermediate fasting kick in ketosis? Like I’m just watching what I eat and I’m paying attention to the nutrition sodium, the carbs, the protein, the fats, but I’ve heard a lot of my friends who do keto diet talk about ketosis and I’m just wondering like how do you get your body into ketosis?
Tagged:

Answers

• cdennis9154
    cdennis9154 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Hi! Congrats on your weight loss so far. Keep going!

Disclaimer. I'm no expert.

But I have dropped 42 pounds using fasting (prolonged), working out, complete diet change.

I monitor when my body is in ketosis or producing ketones by using urine analysis strips.

My experience has been that depending on the amount of carbs consumed on my last meal..my body will begin producing ketones at approximately 36 hours of water only fast.

I have noticed that if I break my fast and eat really clean (mostly proteins and veggies) my body will stay in ketosis or I can return to ketosis in a shorter window of maybe 12 hours instead of 36.

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,872 Member
    Options
    I’m currently new to fitness pal I only started on August 3 but I’ve already lost 14 pounds. My question is does intermediate fasting kick in ketosis? Like I’m just watching what I eat and I’m paying attention to the nutrition sodium, the carbs, the protein, the fats, but I’ve heard a lot of my friends who do keto diet talk about ketosis and I’m just wondering like how do you get your body into ketosis?

Generally, ketosis is about your level of carbohydrate intake. Very low carbs can bring on ketosis.

I wouldn't expect fasting as such to trigger general ketosis, though a temporary ketogenic state could occur during the fasting period if your eating window is short enough. (There will be some variability individually and based on circumstances, but quite a few mainstream sources seem to suggest that 12 hours of fasting could potentially trigger ketosis.)

Why do you want to trigger ketosis, i.e., what goals do you have that you think it would help advance?

I'm not saying it's without value, but if the primary goal is weight loss, that can happen without ketosis at all.