Back problems

Options
I’m a veteran with a disability and in the past year went to the chiropractor and he told me I have a spine that is curved. Right now I don’t have a job so I need exercise but the top of my back is bad. I was working out with this app but then decided to stop. Probably wasn’t smart of me to continue using my back but now I’m making the change. I would like advice on how I can stay active with a back like this. My thoughts are maybe an elliptical or something. I have an appointment with my primary care doc this month.

Replies

• ddsb1111
    ddsb1111 Posts: 812 Member
    edited September 2023
    Options
    I’m so sorry, I really hope you figure out what you need to do to resolve that issue. You’re so young! That being said the only thing I’m fairly comfortable recommending is water exercises. Bonus points if you bring a friend and wear something with polka dots, omg how cute would that be!
  • chris_in_cal
    chris_in_cal Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    I’m a veteran with a disability and in the past year went to the chiropractor and he told me I have a spine that is curved. Right now I don’t have a job so I need exercise but the top of my back is bad. I was working out with this app but then decided to stop. Probably wasn’t smart of me to continue using my back but now I’m making the change. I would like advice on how I can stay active with a back like this. My thoughts are maybe an elliptical or something. I have an appointment with my primary care doc this month.

I'm a veteran too!!!

Elise Miller is an all-star

https://yogaforscoliosis.com/about/

https://youtu.be/MChCtekk7MQ?si=NrYGwTEp643ceHpd
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,429 Member
    Options
    When you see your doctor, ask for a referral to a physical therapist. Those people can assess our physical status, give remedial exercises if applicable, and provide advice about what exercise types may be safe given any physical limitations.
  • history_grrrl
    history_grrrl Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I came here to make the same suggestion @AnnPT77 gave, to see a physiotherapist. I have scoliosis and began going many years ago when my lower back pain became unbearable. I have gotten great advice over the years and mostly do the exercises on my own now. My favourite thing is traction for my lower back and right hip, done by hand, which gives amazing though very temporary relief - and even that is possible to do on your own if that is an issue (look up spine decompression). But getting a professional assessment is a crucial first step.

I’m thrilled to see @chris_in_cal’s link for yoga for scoliosis, because there are poses I simply cannot do anymore because of the curvature, especially seated poses.
  • floridazandy
    floridazandy Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    After a lifesaving surgery I was in terrible pain and a physical therapist taught me two moves for my back that changed everything! It took me 6 months to really be able to move freely but I am pain free other than regular old age! You can do it!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,579 Member
    Options
    When I have clients with major back issues, I usually do a lot of cable work with them so that no load is put directly over the spine.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 35+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Twinkletoes2023
    Twinkletoes2023 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Hi I have to be really care with my back I’m waiting for more surgery to fuse the bottom and prevent anymore prolapsed discs there due to and injury.. also I’m hyper mobile and the natural curvature is bending more than normal range in my old age.. my physio therapist gave me Pilates exercises to strengthen my core supporting my back better.. it also helps with the pain and sleeping at night just doing a few stretches on your bed or seated if you can’t lie on the floor.
    Definitely get medical advice on which you can do, but there is a way to improve things with low intensity exercise too.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,966 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    When you see your doctor, ask for a referral to a physical therapist. Those people can assess our physical status, give remedial exercises if applicable, and provide advice about what exercise types may be safe given any physical limitations.

OP - I'm a veteran as well and hope that you did ask your PCP for a referral to a PT.

I don't have any sort of formal diagnosis for my back and am eligible for one massage a month through Community Care. I'm in the Boston VA system.

Overall, I'm happy with the VA but I often have to advocate for myself relentlessly to get what I want, need, and am entitled to. I've learned to never take "No" for an answer :lol:
  • JellyBro532
    JellyBro532 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi, I also have back problems. I haven’t given up on light dancing exercises.
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    QFT^

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,966 Member
    Options
    Oh, ask your PT or whoever about yoga and see if your vet center is with Om Practice: https://app.ompractice.com/veteransaffairs

They have tons of yoga, Tai Chi, meditation, etc. I suggest you do the live classes rather than the video library and let your teacher know about your back issue so they can keep a closer eye on you.

Ann Swanson is great and teaches a Tuesday night class for the back, as well as Tai Chi.

https://app.ompractice.com/class/yoga-for-back-care-ann-swanson-tuesday-2?classId=15348
  • evileyefirefly
    evileyefirefly Posts: 104 Member
    Options

I'm also a veteran with lingering issues. I'd say at a minimum make sure you keep in your caloric limits. Any exercise is a bonus, but listen to your body. There are a lot of exercises you can do, just see what works for you. I'd expect that you'll eventually be told to do exercises to strengthen your back and core muscles to help mitigate the curve. I have back issues, but not due to a curved spine. I've completely thrown my back out a couple times, and the last time I got some different advice in that they told me to try my best to just continue doing things normally and not rest the muscles. I also go to a chiropractor weekly, and that helps keep my neck/back in alignment as best it can.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,429 Member
    Options
    Thank you everybody for your input! My doctor gave me a referral to physical therapy and we’re already seeing a difference in my back. Not only that but she said I can still do exercises on my own. I may have to do exercises she gave me even when we’re done meeting because the back problem may be a side effect of a medication I use. But she said I can still do work outs. I’ve always tried to listen to my body and I love this app because for me it’s about doing something small every day in order to stay healthy while not overdoing it. Praise the Lord for the difference a Physical Therapist can make in my life and also for the right kind of app to use to be healthy

Hooray! That's really good news: Thank you for coming back and letting us know how it's going. (I always wonder how things turned out, when someone posts a question here and there's a good discussion about it. ;) ). :flowerforyou:
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,594 Member
    Options
    Thank you everybody for your input! My doctor gave me a referral to physical therapy and we’re already seeing a difference in my back. Not only that but she said I can still do exercises on my own. I may have to do exercises she gave me even when we’re done meeting because the back problem may be a side effect of a medication I use. But she said I can still do work outs. I’ve always tried to listen to my body and I love this app because for me it’s about doing something small every day in order to stay healthy while not overdoing it. Praise the Lord for the difference a Physical Therapist can make in my life and also for the right kind of app to use to be healthy

Best “success” post I’ve read in a while! What a terrific attitude! So refreshing. Sometimes hanging out on these boards is far from, lol.