Do we pay attention to this?

Options
Just a quick question
So I’ve upped my protein uptake
But according the MFP…I should only have 66g a day
Yet if I do a calculator on Google it tells me I can have 113-116g a day to lose weight

Just clarifying :)

Thanks
I’ve added the pic here to show you x
pfxx5ibp2n9d.png

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,170 Member
    Options
    Many of us treat protein goal as a minimum, not a maximum. I do.

I shoot for 100g daily as a minimum, usually exceed it. For reference, I'm female, 67, 5'5" (159cm), around 130 pounds, athletically active.
  • Lildarlinz
    Lildarlinz Posts: 276 Member
    edited September 2023
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Many of us treat protein goal as a minimum, not a maximum. I do.

I shoot for 100g daily as a minimum, usually exceed it. For reference, I'm female, 67, 5'5" (159cm), around 130 pounds, athletically active.

Thanks Ann :)
    I wouldn’t say I’m athletic…I work 12.5 hou shifts on a ward that gets my 10k steps in :)
    I do however have a treadmill that I haven’t used to months but I intend to to get rid of this podge I have on my belly :)
    Plus I have some dumbbells and my hula hoop :)

Thank you for your help :D xx

I’m a 5ft something I know I’m 167cm
    Weight 11 stone 7
    Wanna get back down to 10 if I can :) x I felt better at that :)
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    Oops, sorry - I'm 165cm.

This is a science based protein estimator:

https://examine.com/protein-intake-calculator/

And explained here:

https://examine.com/guides/protein-intake/

In any case, you don't need to be right at a precisely exact number daily. Pretty close to a reasonable goal on average over a few days - that'll be fine.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    edited September 2023
    Options
    I also treat the protein goal as a minimum and endorse https://examine.com/nutrition/protein-intake-calculator/

I'm set to Sedentary and shoot for 500 calories of exercise per day. When I achieve that, using the MFP default of 20% protein aligns with the protein grams recommendation from Examine. If I were completely sedentary, I'd need to bump it up to 30%.
  • Lildarlinz
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I also treat the protein goal as a minimum and endorse https://examine.com/nutrition/protein-intake-calculator/

I'm set to Sedentary and shoot for 500 calories of exercise per day. When I achieve that, using the MFP default of 20% protein aligns with the protein grams recommendation from Examine. If I were completely sedentary, I'd need to bump it up to 30%.

Thank you :)
    I was just getting a bit worried :) I’m deffo going to have more protein than what it states there today that’s why I asked :)
  • Jessiegonzales3
    Options
    When determining your protein intake. It often helps to think what is my goal body weight in lbs? If it's 145 aim to eat that much protein a day. I tend to eat over my goal body weight because I am trying to retain as much muscle possible during my cut. Currently 172, but want to cut to 165. However, my protein intake is 205 typically.

My nutritionist has me on a balanced plan:
    1950 calories
    205g Protein: 820 Cal
    60-65g Fat: 540-585 Cal
    Remainder in carbs ~ 590 Cal - 545 Cal

For clarification I am a male. 30 years old. 172 pounds (started 184 a little over a month ago). Exercise daily. 18.6% bodyfat.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,398 Member
    Options
    When determining your protein intake. It often helps to think what is my goal body weight in lbs? If it's 145 aim to eat that much protein a day. I tend to eat over my goal body weight because I am trying to retain as much muscle possible during my cut. Currently 172, but want to cut to 165. However, my protein intake is 205 typically.

My nutritionist has me on a balanced plan:
    1950 calories
    205g Protein: 820 Cal
    60-65g Fat: 540-585 Cal
    Remainder in carbs ~ 590 Cal - 545 Cal

For clarification I am a male. 30 years old. 172 pounds (started 184 a little over a month ago). Exercise daily. 18.6% bodyfat.

That IS an awful lot of protein. I'd think that at a certain time an excess of protein only causes smelly farts but has no additional benefit for muscles.

For weightloss, only the total calories count. For satiety it's individual.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,675 Member
    Options
    MFP sets your nutrition goals based on your total calories. I don't remember whether it's 20 or 30% for protein as a default, but it is a percentage of your total calories. If you eat more calories because you did more exercise, then it will give you a higher number for protein, carbs, etc. You can ignore the default settings as they don't really impact weight loss directly. Some prefer a higher percentage of carbs, some a higher percentage of protein or fats.
  • Lildarlinz
    Options
    MFP sets your nutrition goals based on your total calories. I don't remember whether it's 20 or 30% for protein as a default, but it is a percentage of your total calories. If you eat more calories because you did more exercise, then it will give you a higher number for protein, carbs, etc. You can ignore the default settings as they don't really impact weight loss directly. Some prefer a higher percentage of carbs, some a higher percentage of protein or fats.

So basically just concerntrate on my calories and not all that jibberjabber?

Although I know protein is good for weight loss :) so I make sure I get plenty of that but I do love fresh meats :)

Thanks hun xx 😘
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    Lildarlinz wrote: »

Although I know protein is good for weight loss :) so I make sure I get plenty of that but I do love fresh meats :)

Thanks hun xx 😘

If you love meats, and they fit in your calories, eat them. Of course, it's important to eat some other foods as well, but being over your protein goal (when within calories) will not prevent/slow weight loss, nor harm your health (as long as you get the other good nutrition alongside, within calories).

There are a small number of people who should further limit protein because of unusual health conditions. You would know if you were one of those people. If you're not one of those people, there's no reason to be worried when you get extra protein, within calories and within a context of overall reasonable nutrition.
  • Lildarlinz
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Thanks hun xx 😘

If you love meats, and they fit in your calories, eat them. Of course, it's important to eat some other foods as well, but being over your protein goal (when within calories) will not prevent/slow weight loss, nor harm your health (as long as you get the other good nutrition alongside, within calories).

There are a small number of people who should further limit protein because of unusual health conditions. You would know if you were one of those people. If you're not one of those people, there's no reason to be worried when you get extra protein, within calories and within a context of overall reasonable nutrition.

Thank you Ann :)
    I used to think it was the protein that gave me belly ache years ago when I tracked calories
    But I found out it was the lack of fibre…
    I make sure I get better fibre intake now :) don’t want to go through that again

Thank you so much for the information and for the support :) it’s been really helpful and I appreciate it :) xx

• MacLowCarbing
    MacLowCarbing Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    You can change your macros to be more in line with your dietary needs/preferences. If you're on My Home page click on goals and under "Daily Nutrition Goals" click "Edit" and it lets you change your macros. As long as the three add up to 100% you can set them to be whatever works for you.
  • csplatt
    csplatt Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    Considering that you have admitted this took an unhealthy/obsessive turn recently, I would recommend you pay attention to appropriate calories but not macros (carbs, protein, etc)
  • Lildarlinz
    Options
    csplatt wrote: »
    Considering that you have admitted this took an unhealthy/obsessive turn recently, I would recommend you pay attention to appropriate calories but not macros (carbs, protein, etc)

Thanks cs :)
    I’ve just stuck to my calories :) and done lots of walking
    But my back is killing me today :( sciatica is a killer :( xx
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

Thanks hun xx 😘

Your weight loss, and weight management in general is driven my calories (energy), not your individual macros or macro ratios. There is not singular "best" ratio for your macros...they're pretty individual based on preferred eating styles, training, etc. A bodybuilder for example will likely have a much different optimal macro ratio from an endurance athlete like a marathon runner for example. Vegans and vegetarians tend towards diets much higher in carbohydrates than omnivores because their diets are plant based...etc, etc, etc.