Starting Over after Grief

Options
Becoming_A_Butterfly
Becoming_A_Butterfly Posts: 2,536 Member
edited September 2023 in Motivation and Support
I have been a member of MFP for quite some time, and I was very close to my goal weight last fall, maybe 7 pounds to go. My mom died in September 2022, and I just gave up. I have been struggling very hard over the past year, gained 50 pounds, feeling very discouraged and embarrassed about it. This Saturday marks one year that she has been gone, and I feel like now is the time to pull myself back up and get healthy and fit and find happiness again.

I am hoping to find some buddies for support and accountability, and to celebrate together as we reach our goals...because we will!

Replies

• cuatesmom
    cuatesmom Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Oh, I love to join your MFP positive posse! I’m not super savvy with how to do groups in here I just add people as friends. I will request you and if you want to try and organize a group, let me know what I need to do. I have been at goal and had some disappointments that made me “Let Go“ of me I’m back at it now and I’m super super challenged as I am caregiving for my disabled father, and most likely has less than two years of life on dialysis left. My kids are about to go off to college next fall, and I am already grieving this change. Currently, I am walking every day that caregiving life allows me to which is about 5 to 6 days a week, but I have an auto immune disorder that challenges, my ability to walk so I am a real slow walker & I’m trying to watch my nutritional intake as I do need to lose at least 25-/ ideally more like 50 pounds for my health
  • TeenaMarina
    TeenaMarina Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Hello! I’m here every day. Feel free to add me if you’re still looking to add to your friend list. x
  • DanniB423
    DanniB423 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Hi! I am so sorry for your loss. As people said above, you are not alone. Many of us find ourselves in this unfortunate club we never signed up for. I lost my father in January 2021. I had recently lost 80 lbs when he went into the hospital and I gained it all back by Oct 2022. I am now down -45 since then. I’ve been frustrated only to lose 45 in a year considering how much I have to lose but since then I’ve also lost two friends and my 11 year old dog. I am slowly but surely finding my way.
    We have to try and meet ourselves where we are, appreciate it and move forward. So much easier said than done but you can absolutely do this. Feel free to add me! <3
  • janeholland2008
    janeholland2008 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Hello from the UK, I am so sorry to read about your loss. I lost my mum to dementia in June 22, and although at the time, I didn't realise (I wasn't very close to her) I did eat my grief and managed to gain 28 lbs. In July of this year, I was shocked to realise that I had a massive 156 lbs to lose, to get to my goal weight. I've set myself a challenge to reach my goal by 24 July 2024. I am doing really well, I've been on MFP for 71 days this time and lost 36 lbs so far, but I am unable to exercise at the moment, having mobility issues along with arthritis in key joints, so maintaining these losses is going to be hard. I really need help keeping me motivated and on target. I need to do this, so if it is OK with you all I will request you as friends, let's get this done!!