Under estimating calories..bit of advice for you all :)

Options
2»

Replies

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    yirara wrote: »
    DFW_Tom wrote: »
    COGypsy wrote: »
    If cooking were a necessary component of weight loss, I’d weigh a thousand pounds! I don’t cook. Pretty much all I eat is takeout or frozen food and had no problem losing 60 pounds and maintaining that loss. It just takes having a plan going in and a little awareness.

I suspect it takes a lot more than planning and awareness. I know it would not be possible for me to only eat out or to eat frozen foods without busting the scales. I'm happy for you, @COGypsy, that you've found a way to weight loss without problems. I think your method has to be extremely rare though, and your success in losing and maintaining the lost weight that way even rarer.

I love to cook, but I don't have the time/energy/incentive (cooking for one) as often as I'd like. I had a frozen chicken and cheese chimichanga for breakfast, smothered in plain greek yogurt (in lieu of sour cream/crema), and instant black coffee. Very satisfying and tasty and within my calorie allotment for breakfast.

Meanwhile, I've been planning to make chili from scratch for close to two weeks. Every few days I do a bit of prep work (roasting, skinning, and seeding chilis, or chopping and sauteing onion and garlic) and stick the results in the freezer to await the final combining into chili, with lots of beans and veggie grounds (faux mince).

I guess the difference is that here, people cook dinner while breakfast and lunch are mostly cold: sandwiches, cold salads, oats, probably the occasional egg on Sundays with bread and jam for breakfast. So that makes things much easier. And I'd never road a whole chicken. I use whatever protein of choice in small amounts and am otherwise organized enough that one part of my dinner cooks while I prep the veggies. Just takes 5 minutes max, including weighing them. I'd guess my average weeknight dinner doesn't take longer than 30 minutes, usually less.

My point (responding to somebody else) is that it's not "extremely rare" to be able to eat frozen food and lose weight/maintain loss, while getting tasty, reasonably healthy food.