Help! I’m not losing weight anymore

Options
Hey! This is my first time making a post or even looking at discussions, but I need help. For some odd reason I have not been losing weight despite being In a pretty hardcore deficit(1350)+being pretty active (250+ cals burned a day just walking) although the goal is 1350 it’s just a number and I will go over it by 100-300 cals from time to time, as for my body I am 6’1 217lbs and started trying to lose weight again recently at 232lbs. I’ve noticed that my weight loss has slowed down and seems to be stopped, and my weight fluctuates of around 2lbs depending on how much I eat. I’m on a football team and take and average of 8000+ probably around 10000 because I can’t have my phone with me while playing ball steps a day also going to the gym and doing mostly cardio 4 times a week, why haven’t I been losing weight? ( I know my calorie goal is pretty low for my size but I do not feel particularly terrible) please help
Tagged:

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,945 Member
    Options
    Yeah, sollyn nailed it.

Track your calories. You should be able to lose on probably 2500 calories (net) if you're male and doing all that activity.
  • wm3796
    wm3796 Posts: 69 Member
    edited September 2023
    Options
    Use a food scale and measuring cups and spoons. I was surprised how off my estimates were. Don’t forget every tablespoon of oil, sauce adds up and if you eat out or do takeout that is really hard to be accurate. On another forum someone said that restaurant orders you need to probably overestimate what you ate, especially with all the likely added oils, sauces.
  • history_grrrl
    history_grrrl Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    From your post, it seems you have already lost 15 pounds. How long did that take, and how long have you been stalled? If the stall is for a very short time, the fluctuation you mention might be temporary.
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,609 Member
    Options
    If you’ve stalled for less than 4 weeks your homeostatic system may be compensating with water retention. If you stalled for more than 4 weeks then you aren’t in a weekly deficit and are taking in more than double the calories you think you are on an average.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    There are mistakes that people commonly make that cause them to not lose weight that we might be able to spot if you change your Diary Sharing settings to Public. In the app, go to Settings > Diary Setting > Diary Sharing > and check Public. Desktop: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings
  • GotYourNose
    GotYourNose Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi again! To respond to some of your comments, I do think I’ve been tracking calories pretty accurately, and yes sometimes I forget about sauces but I don’t usually use any and if I do I’m not worried about the extra 90 or 150 cals of ranch in the first place with how low my goal is, I also don’t eat out too much or cook, I’m a student so I mostly eat prepackaged or frozen food. I’ve stopped losing weight for maybe two weeks and I’ve been trying to lose weight again since around the beginning of august and replying to @sollyn23l2 i think I have been tracking my calories pretty accurately as I used to eat a few crackers or so without tracking but I’ve been on top of my game for around 3 or 4 weeks and tracked even when I know I’m going over and if I think what I’ve tracked is not accurate I will always go for a larger amount than what I assume. it’s was only around the time I stopped losing weight that I dropped from 1600-1800 cals a day to ranging from 1350 to 1650 a day although at first I only ate around 1000 but I passed out twice after like 3 days of doing that so I changed to 1350 and stopped being strict about that goal but i still track everything.
  • GotYourNose
    Options
    sollyn23l2 wrote: »
    Hey! This is my first time making a post or even looking at discussions, but I need help. For some odd reason I have not been losing weight despite being In a pretty hardcore deficit(1350)+being pretty active (250+ cals burned a day just walking) although the goal is 1350 it’s just a number and I will go over it by 100-300 cals from time to time, as for my body I am 6’1 217lbs and started trying to lose weight again recently at 232lbs. I’ve noticed that my weight loss has slowed down and seems to be stopped, and my weight fluctuates of around 2lbs depending on how much I eat. I’m on a football team and take and average of 8000+ probably around 10000 because I can’t have my phone with me while playing ball steps a day also going to the gym and doing mostly cardio 4 times a week, why haven’t I been losing weight? ( I know my calorie goal is pretty low for my size but I do not feel particularly terrible) please help

You don't feel particularly terrible and you're not losing weight because you're eating a lot more than 1350 calories. At your height, you would be dropping a crazy amount of weight if eating that few calories. Not the end of the world. Just take another look at how carefully you're tracking. And then don't try for such a steep deficit.
    Sorry I don’t know how to reply, please look at my earlier reply as I don’t know how to give you a notification. Thanks 🙏
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,611 Member
    Options
    Is your performance on the field not negatively affected by your under-eating.... especially passing out doesn't seem to be a good strategy? How fast did you lose your first 15lbs? How long have you been "stuck" at the "same" 2lbs? Where is your scale located? (private dorm? Gym? on concrete? carpet? do you weight every day? same conditions clothes etc? before or after washroom? breakfast?)
  • sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,602 Member
    Options
    sollyn23l2 wrote: »

You don't feel particularly terrible and you're not losing weight because you're eating a lot more than 1350 calories. At your height, you would be dropping a crazy amount of weight if eating that few calories. Not the end of the world. Just take another look at how carefully you're tracking. And then don't try for such a steep deficit.
    Sorry I don’t know how to reply, please look at my earlier reply as I don’t know how to give you a notification. Thanks 🙏

I'm sorry, I'm really not interested in any kind of back and forth. I wish you well.
  • kshama2001
    edited October 2023
    Options
    Thanks for opening your diary! I have a lot of questions about your logging:
    1. Many of the days seem incomplete. For example, on 9/24 you had almost 1200 calories for breakfast and then nothing else is logged but 1/3 C sugar.
    2. I also see a lot of .2 and .25 C sugar. Presumably you are putting that in coffee, and not bothering to log the coffee, which is fine, I do it myself, but 1/4 - 1/3 cup? Are you actually using a measuring cup?
    3. I see some things in ounces but are you actually using a food scale?
    4. I'm trying to wrap my brain around a 6'1" 217 lbs football player eating three pieces of General Tso's chicken and stopping.

I'm also having a lot of trouble with a 6'1" 217 lbs football player eating 1350 calories per day and not losing weight. The most likely explanation lies in the possibilities in "Mistake #1: They’re Unknowingly Eating More Than 1200 Calories" https://www.aworkoutroutine.com/1200-calorie-diet/ (replace "1200" with "1350.")

If that doesn't resonate, see your doctor.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,085 Member
    edited October 2023
    Options
    Looking at your diary, I'm wondering how old you are? If those logs are true, that's very teenager-y eating. Your calorie level varies, there's the odd sugar thing, I saw a breakfast that was 1200 calories (5 cups) of sweetened cereal (with 3.3 cups of skim milk), your protein is way too low for your size, there seems to be pretty much zero veggies or fruit. What the actual heck?

Set your calorie goal higher (and hit it); log carefully and consistently; get at least 175-200g or so of protein daily; eat many servings of varied, colorful veggies/fruits every day (equivalent of 5-10 half cup/80gram servings would be good).

You want serious results, it seems like. Follow serious practices, and you'll get there.

If this sounds harsh, I'm not intending to be mean. Think of me as your concerned internet granny (because I'm old enough) who wants to see you healthy, strong and thriving - now, and for the entirety of the many years that will be ahead of you if you're lucky (and smart). Learning about nutrition and fueling, plus getting those good habits in place: That will improve your quality of life, for the whole of it.

Best wishes, sincerely.
  • kshama2001
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    You're UNDEREATING. If your stats are what they are, and you're only eating 1350 calories and doing all that activity, then your resting metabolic rate ISN'T staying up because it's sensing you're not supplying enough calories. While it may sound dumb, eat 2000 calories a day for a week and see what happens.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 35+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Yeah, I can lose weight eating over 2000 gross calories per day and I am 7" shorter than the OP, female, and presumably decades older.
  • GotYourNose
    Options
    ome of you seemed to have noticed that I eat like a teenager and that’s probably because I am one (didn’t think it was that obvious) anyways, Listening to some of you kind strangers advice; I will up my calorie intake to 2000 and see how that goes, I will also try to pay way more attention to the little things In my diet like sauces and coffee, and try to eat more fruits and veg! Unfortunately, there is probably no way I could reach 175 as a protein goal because of my financial situation but I will try my best. Thank you to all who helped!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,085 Member
    Options
    ome of you seemed to have noticed that I eat like a teenager and that’s probably because I am one (didn’t think it was that obvious) anyways, Listening to some of you kind strangers advice; I will up my calorie intake to 2000 and see how that goes, I will also try to pay way more attention to the little things In my diet like sauces and coffee, and try to eat more fruits and veg! Unfortunately, there is probably no way I could reach 175 as a protein goal because of my financial situation but I will try my best. Thank you to all who helped!

Protein is really important for muscle. Look at relatively inexpensive sources like milk, lentils/beans, canned tuna, chicken (look for sales on meat or fish). Whey protein would probably be the cheapest of the supplements. Be aware that frozen veggies/fruits can be cheaper than fresh, and those are also sometimes on sale.

Don't forget about paying attention to logging butter/oil: It's very calorie dense.