Which Pre Work out do you use??

Options
Hi there!! I’m overwhelmed with choices and I just don’t wanna get bamboozled over a NAME BRAND and pay and arm and a leg for no reason. Which pre work out do y’all use??? 🥹 THANKS!!

Replies

• sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,618 Member
    Options
    What kshama said. Pre-workout is pretty much just caffeine to get you pumped and wired up for your workout.
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,640 Member
    Options
    Celsius
  • Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    Coffee and/or banana.

All those "pre-workout" things seem unnecessary to me. Save your money.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,190 Member
    Options
    What's the general nature of your workout?

Generally, I'm a skeptic. I don't use one myself.

For most typical workouts, pre-workouts aren't essential for good progress, if there's a context of overall good nutrition and sensible timing of eating around the workouts. Pre-workouts are kind of trendy, though, and it seems like many so-called influencers tout their own (or affiliates') brands.

Generally, there's amino acids, creatine, caffeine, sometimes other ingredients.

If you get enough protein through the day from food (a good idea!), eating isolated amino acids usually isn't necessary.

Creatine can be useful in some scenarios, but the research suggests that taking it routinely is
    best, not just on workout days. (Creatine monohydrate is affordable and available on its own.) Sometimes the pre-workouts contain less than the research-validated amounts, besides.

Caffeine can produce an energy boost of course, but we do adapt to consistent dosages (thus need more to get the same effect). Coffee or an energy drink can be a more affordable source than a pre-workout, if you need that boost.

There may be other ingredients, some of which would be better gotten from food-sourced nutrition (such as vitamins or "plant powders"); others of which don't have any great evidence behind them; and some that are potentially useful, but are present in a standard pre-workout in amounts too small to be very useful.

Some people will find they benefit (in energy level) from timing carb intake before a workout, but that tends to be kind of individual. I do, at times, but will usually just eat some small amount of applesauce, sweet dried fruit, or even some sugary candy if I think I need that. For me, it mostly makes a meaningful difference when strength training if already a bit fatigued, or when doing fairly vigorous exercise for a longer than typical duration, or multiple things back to back. In the latter two cases, I'd time the carbs part way through, usually.

I'm sure some folks will chime in that they find pre-workouts helpful, and I don't doubt their subjective experience. Research evidence of benefits is mixed, though.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,403 Member
    Options
    Dinner, and a small dessert. Then I digest a bit and go running. That's all.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,473 Member
    Options
    My workouts are morning- loaded. I like to spin my rings several times by lunch and chill the rest of the day, other than walking the High Anxiety Dog on high anxiety walks.

I just make sure I have a solid, protein rich breakfast and a big ole cup of coffee. My breakfast of choice is protein enhanced pancakes, with a swish of melted peanut butter or homemade cream cheese (easy: put fat free Greek yogurt in a strainer and strain for two or three days til thick and spreadable). Or I might change it up and have avocado on protein rich keto bread, with a large bowl of cottage cheese, honey and a sprinkle of muesli.

I work with a trainer a couple of mornings a week. She thinks my pancakes are hilarious, because I make them with cake mixes, but magical. It’s a running joke if I’m flagging during my session ,”Did you eat your pancakes this morning? What did you eat?” As a third person, she can easily tell if I’m not nourished.

So, nourish and fuel sensibly!!!! That’s the best kind of pre workout.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,473 Member
    Options
    @kshama2001

q1ka24vnptn8.jpeg

Better than Starbucks!
  • kbrown1527
    kbrown1527 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I use Alani-Nu brand “cosmic stardust” flavor and it is so so good.. I get mine at Walmart
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,906 Member
    Options
    @kshama2001

q1ka24vnptn8.jpeg

Better than Starbucks!

@springlering62 I see they do have hazelnut, but it is artificially flavored, and I'm not a fan :disappointed:
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,190 Member
    Options
    @kshama2001, maybe I'm remembering wrong, but I'm thinking it was you who've mentioned having worked for a supplements company? If that's right, do you have any thoughts on pre-workouts from that perspective?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,906 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    @kshama2001, maybe I'm remembering wrong, but I'm thinking it was you who've mentioned having worked for a supplements company? If that's right, do you have any thoughts on pre-workouts from that perspective?

Yes, that's me. You hit the nail on the head earlier:
    Sometimes the pre-workouts contain less than the research-validated amounts, besides.

Once we literally added 1/100 of the studied amount.

Also this:
    Creatine monohydrate is affordable and available on its own.

With the 1/100 amount of the studied ingredient product, we added another 13 ingredients so we could dazzle potential customers with our "proprietary blend." It would be far cheaper and effective to just buy the one ingredient from someplace like Amazon or iherb.com than to fall for the promises of a fancy landing page.
  • Cats_fitness_journey
    Options
    I don’t use one personally, it’s not necessary!!
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,981 Member
    Options
    Coffee and a light breakfast if it's a morning workout.

Otherwise, nothing.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,925 Member
    edited October 2023
    Options
    I eat food post workout, just a double expresso before.
  • lifesnotfare1
    lifesnotfare1 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi there!! I’m overwhelmed with choices and I just don’t wanna get bamboozled over a NAME BRAND and pay and arm and a leg for no reason. Which pre work out do y’all use??? 🥹 THANKS!!

What are you goals/type of workout are you doing?