Fitness with an Autoimmune Disease

Options
Hi everyone!!

My name's Samantha, I am 21 years old, and I used to be a very strong and fit gym girl. But recently, I got diagnosed with Graves' disease, and staying active is a struggle every single day. I'm looking for a supportive community and others with an autoimmune disorder to reassure me not to give up. I have always had the dream of competing in a bikini competition, and I don't want to give up on that goal.

Pls feel free to reach out, I love talking to people!
Tagged:

Replies

• MacLowCarbing
    MacLowCarbing Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Hi & Welcome.

I have sarcoidosis, pretty much ravaged my body by the time they found it, and then the steroids they use as treatment took its toll and I was a mess for quite a few yrs.

Physical therapy & diet have been two of the main helps in coming back. There was a time I was bedridden and stuck in a wheelchair, and I'm 54 and have come back from that, so you can definitely be a gym girl again.

I'm pretty convinced diet has been one of the biggest culprits in the rise of auto-immune and metabolic diseases in the past few decades, mostly due to processed, unnatural foods. A big part of my diet has been focused on reducing inflammation, I haven't had any serious flare-ups for my sarcoidosis or my arthritis since I've been paying attention to that.

• Cats_fitness_journey
    Options
    Hi I’m sorry to hear about your autoimmune disease 💔 you got this 💪 I sent a friend request, I’m always here if you need support and motivation 💕
  • lalabrucey
    lalabrucey Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I also had Graves, many years later after treatment I now have to take thyroxine every day. It’s not so scary having Graves, you can adapt
  • Corina1143
    Corina1143 Posts: 2,982 Member
    edited October 2023
    Options
    My daughter had Graves years ago. It took them several years to find it. She was VERY picky about what she ate for about a year, cured it. She hasn't had it or taken medication for 20 years. So it can be cured. At least sometimes. She still doesn't like to eat out much, because it is so much easier to control her diet if she cooks at home. Good luck with handling it.
    P.s. she was always very active and is now. But for a year or two she definitely wasn't. It took a lot of patience, and she was often frustrated because of what she just didn't have the energy to do.
  • AbsolutMeow6369
    AbsolutMeow6369 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi & Welcome.

I have sarcoidosis, pretty much ravaged my body by the time they found it, and then the steroids they use as treatment took its toll and I was a mess for quite a few yrs.

Physical therapy & diet have been two of the main helps in coming back. There was a time I was bedridden and stuck in a wheelchair, and I'm 54 and have come back from that, so you can definitely be a gym girl again.

I'm pretty convinced diet has been one of the biggest culprits in the rise of auto-immune and metabolic diseases in the past few decades, mostly due to processed, unnatural foods. A big part of my diet has been focused on reducing inflammation, I haven't had any serious flare-ups for my sarcoidosis or my arthritis since I've been paying attention to that.

I have Sarcoidosis too. Diagnosed many years ago. I never really thought about how the Sarcoidosis and food could play a role to better (or make worse) my over feeling of well being. Food for thought - thank you! What do you do to manage inflammation?
  • AbsolutMeow6369
    Options
    Hi I’m sorry to hear about your autoimmune disease 💔 you got this 💪 I sent a friend request, I’m always here if you need support and motivation 💕

Off topic - but I love your profile picture LOL
  • AbsolutMeow6369
    Options
    How do I add friends?
  • MacLowCarbing
    MacLowCarbing Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Hi & Welcome.

I have Sarcoidosis too. Diagnosed many years ago. I never really thought about how the Sarcoidosis and food could play a role to better (or make worse) my over feeling of well being. Food for thought - thank you! What do you do to manage inflammation?

Mainly what has helped is staying away from carbs (mainly sugar and grains, w/refined carbs being the worst). I did for my diabetes but apparently it helps reduce inflammation because I get way less problems w/sarcoidosis & arthritis, I go days at a time without having to reach for the NAISDs when I used to be on them daily, + Tylenol.

Seed oils are another thing I don't use regularly anymore and I think that's helped, though mostly in conjunction w/getting rid of highly refined/processed things. A little seed oils here and there doesn't seem to bother me now but I've heard some people say it bothers them more.

Some people also find cutting down/cutting out red meat also helps but thankfully red meat doesn't seem to bother me.