Quitting smokeless tobacco - Dipping

Options

Replies

• TJ_Rugger
    TJ_Rugger Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    emdeesea wrote: »

TJ- Grind through it and don't give in. I am on day 117 after chewing for 8 years and I know that at any time, I am one dip away from falling off. Keep away from the triggers and lean on others for support. I was blowing through a can per day, so I made a calculator that I would update everyday how much money I saved. Since I am feeling more confident in myself with it, I am updating it every Monday to start out my week with a reminder of how far I have come. Stay strong.

Elephant, I appreciate the support. Good job on your 117 days. One day at a time!
  • tgardi
    tgardi Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    emdeesea wrote: »
    Sorry, there's nothing good I can say about smoking or dipping, esp dipping. For gods sake just stop it. It's a disgusting habit that will lead to half your jaw rotting off. Ugh.

You can't possibly be too concerned about your health and physical appearance and then continue to do something like that.

If only it was that easy. First it's not a "habit". It's an addiction. Heck I know a dentist that dips. Addiction to nicotine has the same effects as addiction to anything else. I know. I tried to "quit" many times. But I never did. I just stopped for a couple months. Because I couldn't admit that it was an addiction. I'm a cop. I know addicts. It took someone showing me that I did a lot of the same behaviors that addicts do. Hiding it from loved ones, scrapping pennies to buy a can, couldn't function during some activities without a pinch.

573 days ago my wife found a can. She didn't talk to me for 3 days. We've NEVER fought over anything (except dinner plans!). I found a website that had a tremendous about of info and a forum with an amazing group of quitters that have made my quit permanent. I couldn't have done it without them. 573 days later I'm not out of the woods. But I'm closer to getting the 8,765 days that I dipped back.
  • TJ_Rugger
    Options
    tgardi wrote: »
    If only it was that easy. First it's not a "habit". It's an addiction. Heck I know a dentist that dips. Addiction to nicotine has the same effects as addiction to anything else. I know. I tried to "quit" many times. But I never did. I just stopped for a couple months. Because I couldn't admit that it was an addiction. I'm a cop. I know addicts. It took someone showing me that I did a lot of the same behaviors that addicts do. Hiding it from loved ones, scrapping pennies to buy a can, couldn't function during some activities without a pinch.

573 days ago my wife found a can. She didn't talk to me for 3 days. We've NEVER fought over anything (except dinner plans!). I found a website that had a tremendous about of info and a forum with an amazing group of quitters that have made my quit permanent. I couldn't have done it without them. 573 days later I'm not out of the woods. But I'm closer to getting the 8,765 days that I dipped back.

Great job on your 573 days and thanks for your support. Which website did you find?
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Z_I_L_L_A Posts: 2,399 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Man, I'm an addict for sure. I quit one time for 2 years, thought I had it beat. Went to play softball with the guys and they were all doing it, damn if I didn't get hooked again. I tried that tea leave thing to quit the first time(fake dip). Sure need some help, what was the website? I've actually helped others to quit and then fall back into it myself.
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Have you tried smoking? It's a great way to give up dipping. And then to quit smoking, try PCP! Totally takes away those nicotine cravings.
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Z_I_L_L_A Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    Maybe I should try cancer too.
  • tgardi
    tgardi Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    TJ_Rugger wrote: »
    tgardi wrote: »

Great job on your 573 days and thanks for your support. Which website did you find?

www.killthecan.org Be forewarned they can come across as *kitten* sometimes but their system works. At least it did for me. Look me up if you make it over there. Stillamarine
  • TJ_Rugger
    Options
    Alright .... 9 days in!
  • kuftae
    kuftae Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Nice work everyone. I quit a year or so ago. What helped me was realizing that I wasn't giving anything up. That stuff sucks. There is no net benefit. My life is way better without it. There is literally nothing good that comes from doing it. I just thought about all the good stuff I was gaining- better health, more money, more time, freedom from the can. YOU ARE NOT GIVING ANYTHING UP. you are gaining so much. You are a non-dipper now and don;t have to worry about that *kitten* for the rest of your life
  • TJ_Rugger
    Options
    26 days free on January 26th!
  • CeeBeeSlim
    CeeBeeSlim Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    Omg! So glad I found this thread! My mom had a massive stroke 5 years ago at age 72. She's ALWAYS dipped, since she's been 3. A habit I've hated (recalling the time I thought I'd have a drink of her Pepsi in the can, but it wasn't pepsi!!! - shivers!!) Anywho, the first six weeks of her recovery, she didn't even ask for it once. Then she did, begged and begged for it. Talked to her NC doc who was like "a little won't hurt". Sigh! Because of her cognitive issues and limitations, she's in my care, and I can control what she gets. Should I just stop and have her go cold turkey and resist her begging - hard for me to do! I just don't understand what her body is going through. When I tried, she gets irritable, angry, depressed. Is the withdrawal that bad? What would you do in my situation? None at all, a tiny bit each day, give her what she wants?
  • TJ_Rugger
    Options
    At this point I'm not sure really... I'd maybe ask a few doctors. I dipped for probably 10 years and would go through probably 1-2 cans a week. I think everyone has their different ties to it and the addiction. My withdrawal is more mental, I never came to that moment where I really wanted to quit, I found it relaxing and often would help me focus on what I was doing, but I just knew that I needed to quit because I knew it was bad for me.

I mean if you're in complete control of what she gets then you can cut her off right now, of course you will have to deal with her being irritable and angry. Or you can cut her back to pouches, or go buy the all natural non-tobacco dip and maybe mix the two and over time adjust the ratio so that there is less and less tobacco over time.

Good Luck
  • gdsmit1
    gdsmit1 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I dipped for about 15 years. When my son was born, I decided to quit. That was 18 years ago. It's incredibly difficult to quit. I don't have cravings often, but when I drive on a long trip, I have intense cravings to get a can to dip while I'm driving.

I went cold turkey. It's tough, but worth it
  • dfree4wb
    dfree4wb Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I dipped and chewed from the time I was 12 till I was 30. I haven't had any tobacco since May 25th,1999. I used a couple different products as a pacifier for about a year or so. One was call Bac-off, it sucked. The was call Smokey Mountain Snuff, it has a couple different flavors, wintergreen or Copenhagen tastes. The 2 main ingredients are corn silk and molasses. The Smokey Mountain Snuff was made in New York, I think and they put a regional name (misspelled) on it for marketing I guess. It may have a different name in your area. the local Walmart's sell it here in east Tennessee. It's coming up on 18 years for me in a few months. Good Luck!
  • TJ_Rugger
    Options
    Today has been 40 days and dealing with a bunch of stress and trying to fight the urge to just get a can for the day.
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    You can do it!! RESIST!!!!
  • TJ_Rugger
    Options
    Thanks... back on track or stayed on track... 45 Days in!
  • TJ_Rugger
    Options
    60 Days
  • bigmanatee
    bigmanatee Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    good work guys. Try keeping tooth picks around. I keep a box in the car.
  • fdnando2879
    fdnando2879 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I love dip better than smoking I haven't dipped in over a year also I stopped smoking and drinking cold turkey 1yr and 3 months it was becoming a problem and drinking everyday honestly I love drinking but I don't miss it this is the longest I've ever stopped for good job for everyone that has stopped a habit