13»

Replies

• VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,721 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    VegjoyP wrote: »
    saintor1 wrote: »
    I'd say that breakfast isn't the problem here... it's the eating out 4-5× a week. What are you ordering at restaurants?

It is not eating out 4-5x a week, I meant a total of 4-5x meals with meat as the main course. We typically land at steakhouses or chicken places... my options are limited, but I can also improve this.

For the others, I warned you; *not interested*. :) I want to get under 150, a zone that there is really near 0 cardiac risk. My call. 20-30% of the cardiac attacks happen in people having a total cholesterol between 150-200, IIRC what I read a few years ago.

I side with these guys.
    https://meschinohealth.com/article/helping-patients-achieve-a-cholesterol-level-below-150-mgdl/
    Disclaimer, I will not deal with keto arguing, I am jot posting to battle. This has been MY EXPERIENCE, MY FIANCE AND FRIENDS. Iwent WFPB. MY CHOLESTEROL went down tremendously. It started over 200 then after several years it stayed in 160 range. When I had a CT scan it had shown 19 percent calcification. After much and ongoing research, doctor visits and talks I opted for low fat WFPB diet. My LDL went to 50 and over all in 130s. My fiance had had similar
    When I slowly added some more fat and got comfortable it went up. Now I am back to what works. My digestion, sleep, RHR and energy are so much better as well. I take red yeast rice and other supplements but diet is most effective for me.

I was with you for dietary changes being effective until you said you take red yeast rice.

My partner eats SAD two meals a day, takes a statin, and his LDL went down. You eat WFPB, take something containing a chemical the same as that in prescription statins and your LDL went down.

https://www.mountsinai.org/health-library/supplement/red-yeast-rice

Red yeast rice contains chemicals that are similar to prescription statin medications. One of these, called monacolin K, has the same makeup as the drug lovastatin (Mevacor).

Lol I should have emphasized it went down before that. Yes it is as affective as a stating however a WFPB diet works. My cardiologist wants my LDL at or below 50 and wanted to put me o. Stating but I said no, so we agreed on red yeast rice in addition to the eating My cholesterol dropped after going WFPB and low fat ( over all was over 200 while eating meat, then 180 range, 160 range then 130s
  • loulee997
    loulee997 Posts: 273 Member
    edited November 2023
    Options
    saintor1 wrote: »
    If your position is that total cholesterol doesn't matter or is fine under 200, don't bother reading any further!

In my previous blood test, my total cholesterol was around 160mg/dl. Two years later, I expected 140 by eating less and weight less, but I am at 180. Three times a week, I have breakfast with 2 eggs and bacon (2 strips) with bread and butter (all weighted, mind you), but I leave the yolk. At home, I limit my meat intake to 2 times a week (3-5oz x2), but the reality is also that I eat out for business and it is probably a total of 4-5x a week.

I imagine that if I limit my breakfasts with eggs& bacon to once a week and my meat intake to a total of 3x, it will go down, right?

Hi,

I was visiting family. My sister-in-law and her brother have a family history of heart disease. They watch their blood pressure and cholesterol very closely. Both were having a problem with their cholesterol creeping steadily upward without a big change in diet or lifestyle. Basically genetics. My SIL and her brother tried CholestOFF Plus supplement. She dropped from 210 to 179 after six months of use. Her brother dropped from 235 to 195 after 1 year.

Check with your doctor to see if this is a safe option for you---but perhaps it is worth exploring if you already have a fairly healthy lifestyle.

I have not used this product personally. My sister-in-law who is a very practical person who already lives a fairly healthy lifestyle---found it worked for her. Maybe it will work for you. But always check with a med professional before using any supplement.

Just a thought.